• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (22 Viewers)

Had a great day today. Managed to get ridiculous views of RFF. Better than some of the times i've been to the bird of prey centre. cuckoo and black necked grebe on the way to Swilly. Stopped on the hump backed bridge near the car park to watch some pied wagtails and noticed a kestrel on the wall eating a mouse not ten feet away. Tried to take some pics with the mobile but it may have focused on the windscreen. Watched it for five minutes whilst it finished its meal. magic!

mark.

Wow, returned from Lisbon 03:00 today, to find there has been "shed loads" of good birds in the patch, RFF is it difficult to locate, planning a trip tomorrow?????

Not difficult to locate when it's flying around, but apparently it can be difficult to find when roosting. Tends to go missing for periods of time so you might have to hang around.

Wow, returned from Lisbon 03:00 today, to find there has been "shed loads" of good birds in the patch, RFF is it difficult to locate, planning a trip tomorrow?????

Assuming you're doing the Pugneys bird theres also reports of Garganey over the weekend, was it ever relocated?

Last edited:
Had a nice afternoon in good company at Pugneys. Red-Footed Falcon performing with a male Tawny Owl hooting from the wood behind the hide. Wonder why the falcon stays in such a small area, and for three days! There only seems to be Alder flies hatching over the reserve for it to eat along with bumbles and the odd butterfly. Nothing special for it to eat here? It's getting a lot of hassle from the local nesting Black Heads but still it stays!!

Attachments

• _DSD1707.jpg
    _DSD1707.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 97
  • _DSD1652.jpg
    _DSD1652.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 100
Replying to Mike's last post

The man's got to get home and fire up his PC before he can send in the info?
or is he suppressor hoping for the bird to clear out overnight, so he can grip everybody off?

Replying to Mike's last post

The man's got to get home and fire up his PC before he can send in the info?
or is he suppressor hoping for the bird to clear out overnight, so he can grip everybody off?

The bird has be known to Flambro' birders for 3 days. I guess they have their reasons for not releasing the news before now.

They just seem to let out the news when I'm in my pyjamas, drinking my cocoa (and it's dark outside).

Been down to Paull Holme Strays over the weekend.The mudflats have been fairly quiet but the fence along the fields has given some great photo opportunities.There were also reed warbler,yellow wagtail,meadow pipit,tree sparrow and reed bunting all within about 20m
Also short eared owl hunting along the drain.

Attachments

• SL1.jpg
    SL1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Whinchat1.jpg
    Whinchat1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1561.jpg
    DSCN1561.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Who's going to find a nice red necked phal in the next few days then?

I'm out and about this weekend again so can only hope!!!! B :)

tbh as long as the weather is ok and I see the remaining common migrants that hadn't yet arrived in April I'll be happy. Extra effort for Garden Warbler after inexplicably missing out last year. A late evening bike ride around the lanes listening for Groppers is definitely on the cards - didn't get enough time to do that last year.

As for realistic scarcities - there seems to be Hobbies around so I'd settle for one of those please. After Peocile's Osprey north over Bransholme I'll be checking out Wansford fish farms for a while... and there's apparently a few freshly drilled pea fields near there that could be Dotterel-tastic (just a bit late though?)

Either way May rocks so I'm dead excited to be let off the leash :t:

Cheers,
Bob.

The bird has be known to Flambro' birders for 3 days. I guess they have their reasons for not releasing the news before now.

They just seem to let out the news when I'm in my pyjamas, drinking my cocoa (and it's dark outside).

Perhaps if more twitchers spent more time looking for rarities at one of the top sites in Yorkshire at one of the best times of the year there'd be less gnashing of teeth - these things don't find themselves ;););)

Cheers,
Bob.

Perhaps if more twitchers spent more time looking for rarities at one of the top sites in Yorkshire at one of the best times of the year there'd be less gnashing of teeth - these things don't find themselves ;););)

Cheers,
Bob.

yeah mike, you dirty twitcher (currently weighing up going for the oriole or finishing revision)

As I have no revision to do, Saturday is a big day out. If it sticks I'm looking at the Oriole at Flamborough and on from there. What time does the card school finish Marcus?

Sprun is like a different planet sometimes - report from yesteday.

"No migration watches due to thick fog all day which never lifted, the wind was a very fresh, cold north-easterly.

One of the worst days of the spring"

hi everyone, i've got a family camping trip planned for a week in harrogate in two weeks time and obviously i would like to get a bit of birdwatching done, can anybody recommend any good places within a twenty mile radius of harrogate. can you pm me instead of putting your thoughts on the forum, all help will be much appreciated.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back