• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

Caught up with the Red-Breasted Flycatcher this morning at Canal Scrape, Spurn, view from the hide accross the pond, good views through a scope appaulling views through a 500mm lens, therefore no photos (or ones I am willing to share) Tons of whitethroats....and swallows scimming the pond.

Attachments

• swallow.jpg
    swallow.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 73
  • swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 74
Have a couple of days holiday today & tomorrow, so today Jayne (the missus) & I did a circuit of Thruscross.

There were lots of singing birds around but most were high in the trees (I really must get my act together & learn bird song ;) )

I'm still fairly new to this, but we did see Curlew, Lapwing, Whinchat, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Grey & Pied Wagtails, Common Sandpiper, Swallow, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Greylag & Canada Geese (plus loads of goslings), Wren, Robin, & Song Thrush

Rounded everything off with a very hearty pub lunch B :).

Richard

Glad you got a LEO, Keith. How dark when it flew?

Missed Redpoll off that list last night, and have made some message space.

Graham

I was on site at 8.30, and it was about 9.00 that I saw the LEO. Had it in view for about 3 minutes before it flew over the young conifers. No further sightings but plenty of calling from over the other side of the clearfell as well as from the woods on the far side of the conifer.

Little gull at blacktoft. At least 3 male marsh harriers displaying plus two daytime barn owls.Then visited north cave, nothing out of the ordinary apart from a red kite over the hills behind the reserve. Good to see plenty of lapwing chicks in the fields.

mark.

Picking Marcus up at 06:00 and heading for coast, two places for grabs. Returning early evening. Drop us a line.

Currently practising BIFs as Marcus would say, quite pleased with this weeks efforts.

Attachments

• IMG_2084 curlew.jpg
    IMG_2084 curlew.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 85
Been talking to a guy this morning who goes to Thorne Moor regularly and he said there has been no Nightingales seen or heard at all this year

Despite spending the morning busy running errands I still found a Lesser Whitethroat in the "garden" of the Grey Goose right in the centre of Belle Isle this morning. Proof that birds aren't snobs, at least.

Graham

PS - this is not a good reason to visit Belle Isle, or the Grey Goose in particular. Bachman's Warbler would not be a good reason to visit the Grey Goose.

Finished work early on Thursday and decided to head to Thorne Moors. By the time I'd stopped for diesel (£1.29 a litre), food (£2.29 sausage roll, 89p Hula Hoops, £1.09 can of coke), and an over-running one hour lecture on the Philosophy of Cellular Biology (free), I was questioning the wisdom of my plan. Not only was it going to be almost dark by the time I got to the observation tower, but I also wondered if it would have been cheaper to go and see Red-Footed Falcons in Ukraine.

On the Moorends side, the council have erected barriers apparently to designate the site as great for motocross, but which ensure visitors to the nature reserve have to walk 2 miles to the entrance. A Green Woodpecker laughed at me, but I saw Linnet, Bullfinch, Whitethroat by the time I reached the reserve. Good views of Garden Warbler, Turtle Dove, Reed Warbler, Stonechat en route as I made it out to the middle of the moor just before sunset and was relieved to find the 2CY female Redfoot perched up almost straight away.

Flushed a female cuckoo as I walked a little closer and hunkered down to get awesome scope views as it returned to hunt out pipit nests. It had a browny orange iris, which BWPi says is "rare", detail-fans.

Red-foot sat preening for about twenty minutes before flying to more distant birches and I decided to watch the dusk from the tower for a while. A snipe drummed but I couldn't find it despite having earlier learned that they describe a circle of 100m-800m circumference at a height between 30m and 150m. (wish you had BWPi, too?)

No more falcons and I was too scared of getting lost and sinking in the mire to wait late enough for nightjar. Now I know the route, and didn't actually need a torch on the way back, I'll be braver next time. But the Rhododendron tunnel is creepy and I don't know whether the deer I met in there was more or less startled than me.

Finished nicely with a gropper singing back near the car.

Graham

A snipe drummed but I couldn't find it despite having earlier learned that they describe a circle of 100m-800m circumference at a height between 30m and 150m. (wish you had BWPi, too?)

Graham

I was doing a vantage point survey up in scotland a couple of weeks ago and had a snipe drumming constantly for 1hr and 15mins, doing just that!!!

I was doing a vantage point survey up in scotland a couple of weeks ago and had a snipe drumming constantly for 1hr and 15mins, doing just that!!!

That, Andy, could be a record... " longest recorded continuous performances 63 min (Stubbs 1912) and 65 min (Reddig 1978). "

PS - I meant diameter, not circumference.

Graham

The Strid

Hi all

Had a lovely morning here arriving at 6.30am parking at Barden Bridge and did a circular walk to Cavendish Pavillion & back. Apart from are lass only saw one person in first 2 hours, lovely. Saw all my target species except Spotted Flycatcher. Birds seen include:

Redstart (male x2)
Wood Warbler (only one seen, excellant views, heard another different bird)
Pied Flycatchers (saw 4 male, 1 female without having to try)
Mandarin Ducks (at least 4 males)
Blackcap
Dipper
Common Sandpipers (two)
Grey Wagtails
Nuthatch (three)
Garden Warblers (2)
Treecreepers (three)
Goosander
Oystercatcher (with four chicks!)
Redshank
RL Partridge

Hope everyone else had a good day.

John

That, Andy, could be a record... " longest recorded continuous performances 63 min (Stubbs 1912) and 65 min (Reddig 1978). "

PS - I meant diameter, not circumference.

Graham

wow!!! Thats crazy!!! I have it all documented too!! I've got a record, cool!!! who do i tell??? Should i give record breakers a call????

I woke up about an hour ago, I finished poker at 4AM and it was another hour before I went to sleep so texted Jim and was allowed absence from the trip. Did win a few pennies though so was a good night. Had a peregrine over ASDA in Owlcoates with a pigeon which was a surprise.

Will be out tomorrow (deffo!) if anyone is about. Probably John O' Gaunts and Washburn area.

Not long back and fed from a superb day at the coast. Notable species were Long Tailed Duck and Brambling, neither particularly rare but certainly unusual in the second half of May. Best bit was the bird behaviour taking place at the mopment, arrived at Filey to find the circle of grass at North Cliff has been mowed and was full of Kittiwakes collecting dried grass for nests then flying low over the top car park to the cliffs. Got some good KIF shots.

If you're going to the coast tomorrow do call in at Bempton, I rarely do but the gannets are collecting dirt to make nests and are virtually on the side of the path, again a great photo opportunity especially as they're coming in. Some nice GIF's!

Finally have to leave you with a nice picture. A great day if you like taking photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2318_1.jpg
    IMG_2318_1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back