• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Re-traced our steps from the recent forum meet on Thorne Moors today. Much less productive, although we (Dave - Unclelawts and I) didn't get on there until 09:00am. Dipped on the singing Tree Pipit, and then also dipped on Turtle Doves. Couldn't see the species I found although there are five apparently. Good views of Cuckoo, Reed warbler, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat.
Made our way out to the viewing platform - a nice Hobby en route returning regularly to a perch albeit a bit distant. Walked south of the viewing platform - the two red-foots weren't really playing ball and wouldn't land for a grilling, although both were seen hawking amongst c. 10 Hobbies. Side by side the longer wings of the Hobby made it appear a larger species. Also noted was the Red-foots more flappy flight (similar to kestrel). Stonechat again.
A further walk out to our Gropper spot, but again no luck - perhaps wrong time of day and a cool north-easterly. A fox seen here - a stand-off for a few moments before he darted into cover. Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker noted.
Dragonflys absolutely everywhere. Didn't try for Nightingale. Heard someone say two are in but not singing - easy!
Finally just as we were leaving, back on the Lincs. side another close encounter with a Hobby.
A good but frustrating day at the same time.

No birding today but sorted pics from yesterday, need some software to tidy a few up to tidy a few up so would appreciate some reccommendations..

Attachments

• IMG_2300 trimmed_1.jpg
    IMG_2300 trimmed_1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
Superb shots of the stoat, Marcus. And glad the Redstarts co-operated. Was that at the ruined cottage I suggested?

Was at a party last night in Copmanthorpe and so got the OS out for a short afternoon walk. Thought the Ouse From Acaster Selby and the disused airfield might be promising but nothing very exciting. Lots of Yellowhammers, Stock Doves, a few Tree Sparrows and Linnets, Kestrel, plenty of swifts and hirundines, one Lesser Whitethroat and a really confusing mixed-singing Whitethroat. I never got a good look at it as it was across the river but I am sure that's what it was, having found that they do mimic Garden Warbler. But none of the Cuckoos, Corn Buntings or Turtle Doves I'd hope to find on East Yorkshire meadows/scrub/farmland. Also not a single Willow Warbler anywhere all day. Have they all stopped singing?

Also had a falcon sp. directly over the garden in Copmanthorpe, no bins, silhouette against the sky. A little over tree-top height, moving purposefully south. Six weeks ago it'd just have been a Kestrel - but it's weird how you can talk yourself into it being a bit short-tailed?

Graham

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Can i just point out that marcus now owns a camo suit. Amazing shots though mate.
Does this mean we won't see him again
Ron

can anyone pm me a good place at bolton abbey to see pied flycatcher and redstart. went on sunday with the wife and inlaws but it was too busy to attempt any serious birding!

mark.

I'm out and about this weekend again so can only hope!!!! B :)

tbh as long as the weather is ok and I see the remaining common migrants that hadn't yet arrived in April I'll be happy. Extra effort for Garden Warbler after inexplicably missing out last year.

Not a bad weekend. Fairly quiet but at least all the regular stuff is noted now. Only one Garden Warbler despite effort. Seem to be very few Sedge Warblers this year, and perhaps less Whitethroat than there should be. Major highlight for me was Turtle Dove - my first locally for over a decade, though my brother saw one not far away last year. Year total now 102 - looking like 110 is very doable.

A late evening bike ride around the lanes listening for Groppers is definitely on the cards - didn't get enough time to do that last year.

As for realistic scarcities - there seems to be Hobbies around so I'd settle for one of those please. After Peocile's Osprey north over Bransholme I'll be checking out Wansford fish farms for a while... and there's apparently a few freshly drilled pea fields near there that could be Dotterel-tastic (just a bit late though?)

Zero, none, no chance, and absolutely not.

Cheers,
Bob.

Thought the Ouse From Acaster Selby and the disused airfield might be promising but nothing very exciting. Lots of Yellowhammers, Stock Doves, a few Tree Sparrows and Linnets, Kestrel, plenty of swifts and hirundines, one Lesser Whitethroat and a really confusing mixed-singing Whitethroat. I never got a good look at it as it was across the river but I am sure that's what it was, having found that they do mimic Garden Warbler. But none of the Cuckoos, Corn Buntings or Turtle Doves I'd hope to find on East Yorkshire meadows/scrub/farmland. Also not a single Willow Warbler anywhere all day. Have they all stopped singing?

Heard quite a lot of Willow Warblers singing yesterday. Only heard two Cuckoos all weekend, and even then only heard fairly briefly each time. Corn Bunting up from one singing last year to a massive TWO this year - compared to 6-8 in the early 90s.

Cheers,
Bob.

can anyone pm me a good place at bolton abbey to see pied flycatcher and redstart. went on sunday with the wife and inlaws but it was too busy to attempt any serious birding!

mark.

Mark, Have sent long PM composed last year for someone else by email. Short answer is get there before the crowds, and that I find the east side better than the west. Leaf cover and birds settling in make it much harder the later you leave it. (very late April/very early May is probably best) I'll be doing a pre-5AM start there in the next couple of mornings having not been yet this spring and shoudl still find Wood warbler and Pied Fly.

Graham

Thanks for the PMs, may try to get up early tomorrow and give it a go.
pied flycatcher being the target. May top it off with a visit to Malham to catch up with the peregrines and little owls.

mark.

I did a twitch today.

After returning home from an appointment at castle hill hospital near Hull, I logged onto birdguides to discover that five Dotterel had been seen in west Carlton during the morning.

so I got in the car and headed back towards hull( I wish pagers were cheaper then I may be tempted to get one). I located the field quickly, all the other fields had 1ft high crops in them. After scaning the field I was rewarded with the sight of four Dotterel and then one other was seen further to the right.

The views were distant, with a lot of heat haze,but the sun when in for a short while and I could see the reddish bellies and the white eyestripe.

This was a lifer for me, so I was very happy with my twitch.

Last edited:
hi Bob

The seeds have not started to grow yet. but there were several clumps of oil seed rape plants scattered about the field.

cheers julie

More than a little miffed tonight. Went for a patch walk and found top field has been sprayed with herbicide killing off all the docks, thistles, vetch etc that were making it look like a great place for the autumn. Far worse the curlew that had been trying to breed there have vanished, first time in about three weeks there has been a complete no show. Heavy machinery tracks criss-crossing the fields all for the sake of silage or hay, bloody marvellous.

Where has Marcus gone??

Marcus, Maaarcus where are you? anyone help I cant seem to see him?

I have lost all visibility must be his new Squaddie fancy dress costume or something! ;)

chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back