• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Blue eh! thank god for that at least you havent gone totally insane! well done on your cheeky year tick!!

well ive had a cheeky Song Thrush singing in me garden all night, was on me aerial when i left for work this morning at 6 too a pleasure!

Last edited:
Had a Hobby over the Garden tonight at less than 100ft.
Garden tick!!! hahaha.
I live in the middle of East Hull right next to holderness road, so it was a nice surprise.
:t:

Red-foots Thorne

Graham, (your pm is full). As I was restricted to viewing the two Red-foots at distance, in flight and with considerable heat haze, I'm interested to know what the plumage was like on the 1st summer bird.

All the literature I can find shows plenty of male birds in juvenile plumage, but no plates of females.

Cheers for the info.

Graham, (your pm is full). As I was restricted to viewing the two Red-foots at distance, in flight and with considerable heat haze, I'm interested to know what the plumage was like on the 1st summer bird.

All the literature I can find shows plenty of male birds in juvenile plumage, but no plates of females.

Cheers for the info.

From what I've read and researched, I can offer the following, but others may correct. (I'm no raptor expert - I don't even own a copy of Forsmann)

First summer birds retain all remiges and some retrices through to the 2nd winter moult. The markedly longer central tail feathers on the Pugney's bird, almost Lesser Kestrel like, show the contrast between worn juvenile feathers and new adult feathers. Sub-adult birds will tend, like Peregrines, to appear browner on the upperparts unlike the barred slate upperparts of adults and to show contrastingly darker, worn, browner, primaries in flight, which was fairly clear on the Thorne bird. Leg colour tends to be brighter orange in adult birds than the yellowish sub-adult.

All this, though, is not easy to see and female redfeet cannot be readily aged with certainty - BWPi says of 1st summer ♀: "Similar to adult ♀ and not certainly separable"

I had been under the impression that full adults showed brighter, more orangey underparts compared to the buffish tones of younger birds, but this is not mentioned in the literature i've seen nor is it particularly well borne out by Birdguides photo archive. Would welcome others' comments on this or any of the above.

Graham

PS- had a big PM clearout and now empty.

I've a copy of Forsman.... if you give me a day or two I should be able to get most of the relevant info onto this thread. Got to photocopy it at work as my copier is on the blink.

Short Toed Lark in Filey, apparently in the rape field near the Tip. Im lashed to the computer and wont be able to go unfortunatly. What are the thoughts on the Night Heron? Surely an escape if its roosting on the roof of an animal shelter.

Short Toed Lark in Filey, apparently in the rape field near the Tip. Im lashed to the computer and wont be able to go unfortunatly. What are the thoughts on the Night Heron? Surely an escape if its roosting on the roof of an animal shelter.

There's plenty of STL's so I wouldn't worry about missing this one if it doesn't stick. Plus they are the original LBJ!

I wondered on first report if the Night Heron had been taken to the rescue centre, I suppose rings would be the first clue. I have seen them roost on buldings and bridges in Spain so not a concern for me.

There's one less Tawny Owl in Chapel Allerton, unfortunately a friend hit one and it died before we got it to the rescue centre at the white rose :-C

There's plenty of STL's so I wouldn't worry about missing this one if it doesn't stick. Plus they are the original LBJ!

I wondered on first report if the Night Heron had been taken to the rescue centre, I suppose rings would be the first clue. I have seen them roost on buldings and bridges in Spain so not a concern for me.

There's one less Tawny Owl in Chapel Allerton, unfortunately a friend hit one and it died before we got it to the rescue centre at the white rose :-C

Shame about the owl Marcus.

As for the Night Heron, over the last couple of years there's just been a suggestion of a few escapes in that general area up towards Darlington. It would be good to know if it is unringed as a starter.

Shame about the owl Marcus.

As for the Night Heron, over the last couple of years there's just been a suggestion of a few escapes in that general area up towards Darlington. It would be good to know if it is unringed as a starter.

I finish work in 20 minutes so as i don't live far away, will go and check the Night Heron out! Beats a dodgy bean goose in hull!!!

Ref the Short-toed Lark - they may be small and brown, but still put a smile on the face when you find one!!

For info, it was still present 90 mins after first been found, but was getting hassled from territorial Skylarks. Winds going more easterly and promising on the other side of the North Sea, so it might be time for the coast to produce.

Ref the Short-toed Lark - they may be small and brown, but still put a smile on the face when you find one!!

For info, it was still present 90 mins after first been found, but was getting hassled from territorial Skylarks. Winds going more easterly and promising on the other side of the North Sea, so it might be time for the coast to produce.

Yeah I bet. I'd be chuffed to bits. The winds are blosing nearly a thousand miles form the east as we enter the second half of the week.Anything winging north over Scandi and beyond could be blown alt the way across...

Its a darn good job i'll be 10 minutes from the coast this weekend then (and well for the forseeable future). A mere half hour from filey tops as well and 20 mins from flamboro. Different ball game to being 90 minutes from the coast.

Night-Heron

(please be an adult!!!)

It is!!!!

The Night Heron was not present around the dog sanctuary when i got there (having not been seen since the morning). I looked around the sanctuary for a bit but no joy until i noticed the river. Found a way down to the river (which is approx. 150m beyond the sanctuary) and worked the willows until i found it roosting low over the water. Its an adult and whats more, it is unringed!!! It was showing on the opposite bank to where i was viewing fron but showed really well, i got a few crappy phone-binoc pics but for those with a proper camera some good pics should be possible.

Cheers

Andy

further info on red-footed falcon

From Forsman….

2nd cy females are often impossible to separate from adult females at a distance…..

The body plumage is extremely similar to adult females and aging is based on the retained juvenile feathers….. primaries, tail and under- and upperwing coverts.

Practically all females retain most of their juvenile tail through the partial moult and the juvenile retrices are clearly shorter (c2 cm) than the moulted feathers…. showing a different colour and barring.

The juvenile feathers have almost equally wide dark and pale bands….. whereas the moulted feathers are pure grey with fine dark bars and a kestrel like wide black subterminal band.

The pale tips of the juvenile are worn off …. the recently moulted feathers show broad pale tips.

Underwing coverts are mainly retained juvenile feathers showing dark barring in contrast to uniformly coloured coverts in adult females.

Upperwing coverts can be partly moulted, but worn and dull juvenile coverts are found among the greater and outer lesser and median coverts. Upperwing coverts are most easily studied on perched birds when the abraded and dull brown primaries are also quite obvious.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back