• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Random Newt Question

Does anyone have any information about the newt species that live in the pond at Carr Naze Filey?

I saw some individuals last evening (through my bins and under water). Does more than one species occur in the pond? Obviously I am unable to catch them to identify them, not least because GC Newts live in the area and I don't have the relevant license.

Cheers

Last edited:
Question for those more knowledgeable than me.
I survey a square for the BTO Breeding Bird Survey. Last year (as in the previous 3 years I've been doing the survey) the square had a rookery in it. 30 or so occupied nests. This year nothing.... not a single rook have I seen, even though the nesting trees are still there. What makes them desert a rookery?

Can't see it being predation, so that leaves nest disturbance or being shot... I thought as much. There's a hotel with aspirations of grandeur just by the rookery, I wouldn't mind betting they might have had a hand in it, as it seems to be in different ownership to last year.

A ladder and a piece of pipe (or such like) pushing through the nests will do it. Have heard of similar. No nesting red-footed falcons for you then Keith.

Can't see it being predation, so that leaves nest disturbance or being shot... I thought as much. There's a hotel with aspirations of grandeur just by the rookery, I wouldn't mind betting they might have had a hand in it, as it seems to be in different ownership to last year.

Check the hotel menu for clues. Do they serve Rook Pie?

Seriously, Rooks make quite a noise so wouldn't be surprised if they have all been exterminated.

God, I wish I could get the evidence to nail the b'st'rds...... No red footed falcons and no b****y hobbies either!
I'm starting to think that I'm wearing Peace Off Hobby after-shave, everywhere I go that has Hobby on the list... doesn't when I'm there.

Check the hotel menu for clues. Do they serve Rook Pie?

Seriously, Rooks make quite a noise so wouldn't be surprised if they have all been exterminated.

I don't dress well enough to get into the hotel to look at the menu! Judging by the B-mers and Audi's in the car park it's all expense account stuff so the sky's the limit for that crowd, rook pie wouldn't come into it... maybe slender-billed curlew pie.

woken early by my beloved daughter to coincide with my morning off I decided on a spur of the moment return to Thorne moor - decide to go the Crowle side again as not happy leaving car on Thorne side. The place was bristling with insects, particularly dragonflies, which boded well for targets of RFF and Hobby. Not much on the main lake as I hurried past (had to be back at work 1pm) except a pair of Ruddy duck ( can someone let me know if these are a tickable UK species). several other birders when I finally got to the obs platform - no sightings prior to my arrival.
However, the sun came out and the show began:-
marsh harrier brought the BHG's up followed by Kestrels and cuckoos aplenty.
Then distant views of the RFF hawking south of the platform, soon to be joined by the adolescent. Then came along at least 2 Hobbys to give us a nice comparison!
The RFF's performed for about 10 mins getting closer before disappearing again.
Had to make a sharp exit at this point - however, interestingly, a couple of Lancs lads who'd come in from the Thorne side had seen a NIGHTINGALE at around 8am - clearly we were far too EARLY in the day a few weeks ago!!
feeling pretty smug I hoofed it back to the car.
rob

Ruddy Duck is a Cat C species and as such is admissable to a British List in keeping with the BOU - check out their website for the official list.

Excellent shot, it looks wilder than some.

Went and got it tonight. Smart looking bird. Just one other birder at first then had it to myself - possibly the footie, or possibly because it may be considered an escape?

Apparently it is quite tame, and has a liking for pilchards, plus cat and dog food, but it could still be wild IMO.

Interesting that it chooses to roost on far bank away from footpath. Birds are opportunists and taking an easy meal doesn't necessarily spell escape.

If you do go, no easy access. Strictly speaking it should be a long walk along the riverside footpath from the village. I think I did what Andy did and blasted across the farmer's field, albeit along dry tractor tracks between the crops.

Went and got it tonight. Smart looking bird. Just one other birder at first then had it to myself - possibly the footie, or possibly because it may be considered an escape?

Apparently it is quite tame, and has a liking for pilchards, plus cat and dog food, but it could still be wild IMO.

Interesting that it chooses to roost on far bank away from footpath. Birds are opportunists and taking an easy meal doesn't necessarily spell escape.

If you do go, no easy access. Strictly speaking it should be a long walk along the riverside footpath from the village. I think I did what Andy did and blasted across the farmer's field, albeit along dry tractor tracks between the crops.

If Osprey wasn't a my twenty year bogey, then next behind it is night heron for the UK. Not sure if I should wait for a more pukka one.

But hey it's May and it's an unringed adult, what more do you need...

Intersting record of the Baikal Teals. Three escapes seems odd, and to then turn up in such a remote location. One escape on a park lake in the centre of a big city would seem more the norm.

I suspect the ringed drake is the Norfolk bird, where during its stay didn't appear to have any females with it, unless they were overlooked. For it to find two after moving north - very odd all round.

But for the ring I'd have been there tonight.

Excellent night up in the hills last night, started with a dunlin 4' away. Ciched but I got a head shot which will follow, now categorised as a 'photographer'.

Moved on to a different site for Ring Ouzel, Merlin, SEO, Siskin, Spotted Flycatcher and plenty of good views of other species. They do exist Keith!

This seems quite a likely scenario. If you wanted to be subtle you could try asking one of the younger kitchen staff what happened to the Rookery, just out of casual interest ;) ... they might naively spill some info.

Cheers,
Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back