• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

Good commute today, a nice female sparrowhawk across the road in front of the car, in Pontefract. Thankfully I wasn't travelling fast so she made it across safely.

Just looking at Birdguides and there's a quail listed for North Duffield Carrs, anybody got any more gen on this bird?
It would be nice to get this one on my UK list

Apparently there have been up to 4 calling there Keith, checked in today but nothing doing. Apparently from the meadow beside the path.

Head shot cliche as promised, had to be done. Get your camera up there Marus and let Keith check its retina.

Attachments

• IMG_2484_trimmed_1.jpg
    IMG_2484_trimmed_1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2497_1.jpg
    IMG_2497_1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 78
Popped to see the Temminck's Stint at Old Moor yesterday, showing really well on the nearest little island to the Wader Scrape Hide. I'd only seen one at great distance previously - they are much smarter close up, and it was bizarre to see it dwarfed by a black-headed gull chick, a little ringed plover and even a pied wagtail. They really are tiny!

Tuesday I spent almost twelve hours at Bolton Abbey in the end, with spectacular views of all the local specialties. Spent over an hour sitting watching one Wood Warbler singing and displaying around my head. There are at least seven males present but the others were presumably paired, being much quieter by now and/or buried in inaccessible parts of the wood. I counted at least 6 singing male Redstarts and saw two males and one female. I'd thought you had to be really early to get great views, but met Knocker7800 and watched them really well in the early afternoon. Thanks very much to Mark for spotting a Buzzard mobbed by two Ravens while we were watching these. The Pied Flycatchers are still very vocal, even through the day, and easy to spot. In the mature woodland on the east side there were 14+ singing males, and I saw most of these and two or three females. Best moment was watching some house-hunting and courtship feeding. Very sweet. Also 3 Spotted Flycatchers between Cavendish Pavilion and Barden Bridge on the east side - pathetic song makes them harder to detect and they weren't very showy. In between great views of Garden Warbler, several Blackcaps, Green and Great-Spotted Woodpeckers, several Nuthatches, Treecreepers etc etc. Plus three Kestrels and a few Curlew, Lapwing, and Oystercatcher in the fields. Also heard Lesser Spot calling but from across the river so couldn't track it down. In fact the only expected woodland bird I didn't detect was Marsh Tit - this is supposed to be a good location for them but only seen them there once?

Spent less time watching the river but did get fantastic views of a pair of Common Sand, Grey Wagtails, Mandarins and the Sand Martin colony by lying on the riverbank for a while, and Dippers whizzed by several times during the day. As always for me, b#gg#r all on the moors in a quick hour to finish - two Kestrels and many Meadow Pipits. In all a superb day, although very very tired by the end. Would still recommend getting there as early as possible but even with the leaf cover, the dog-walkers and the birds quietening down you still have a good chance of seeing all these species well.

Graham

PS - a very vocal female Tawny Owl in a neighbouring garden last night which I hope is a good sign.

Any takers for Monday??

ALL DAY BIRD WATCH (STAPLE ISLAND & INNER FARNE) This tour is particularly suitable for the enthusiastic ornithologist and photographer or anyone who wishes to spend more time observing the wealth of nesting species. The trip departs at 10am and only runs during the breeding season (May, June and July). It lasts approximately 5 1/2 hours and allows 2 hours on Staple Island in the morning and 2 hours on Inner Farne in the afternoon. It is recommended you take a packed lunch as there are no facilities on the islands. National Trust members land free of charge and non-members pay a landing fee to the National Trust wardens on both islands (see boat fares and landing fees). The tour also includes a cruise around all the islands to view nesting seabirds on the cliff faces and the Grey Seal colonies at several vantage points.

Inner Farne and Staple Island are major sanctuaries in the UK for about 22 species of breeding seabirds, including Guillemots, Razorbills, Eider Ducks, 4 species of Terns and a staggering 70,000 Puffins.

Also a bluethroat present.

It looked like one of the swans had been shot. I met one of the locals I left and he is investigated further, and said he would report as necessary. Foxes have raided two coots nests, but he did not think they would attack (and kill) a swan. One of the swans had been savaged, but he thought this was likely post mortem and not the cause of death. They do have a problem with chav gunmen at the site.

Last edited:
Don't worry Marcus I'm sure you'll have a great time. We went last year and when we arrived the weather was bad and we were told it would be 50/50 whether we would be able to land but they make every effort to get you there. And when you get there it really is amazing, no need for your long lens you'll be tripping over Puffins.

Enjoy your day on Monday Marcus, unfortunately I have a long standing engagement with 'er indoors, if I try to sneak off birding, she'll have my gonads for earrings...LOL.

I'm going to Bolton Abbey Sunday early doors so will combine your info with Graham's last post and I should have a good day.

Quail

Apparently there have been up to 4 calling there Keith, checked in today but nothing doing. Apparently from the meadow beside the path.

Birds are centred around Bubwith Bridge, with three calling from Bubwith Ings. Follow the public footpath north upstream on the bubwith side (c200m). There has also been a single bird on the south side of the road (listen from the road as there is no other access) and one by the road between the car park at North Duffield and Bubwith ings. Early am best (up to 8.30ish) and again in late evening but calling on and off all day. No tape lures please!! Just enjoy.

Elsewhere in the valley, still record numbers of garganey with 2 drakes at North Duffield, 2 at bank island and up to five at Wheldrake Ings as well as scattered birds elsewhere.

Quail

Quail 1 Bubwith Ings 21[1].05.08.jpg

A photo (if it works) of one of quail caught this year in the Lower Derwent valley - this one from Bubwith - one of the best views your likely to get - part of a research programme into the species in the area which appears to be something of a regional/national hotspot

Went to North Duffield Carrs this evening got there about 6.45. stood listening for quail in the meadow/paddock along side the path to the first hide. Did not hear much other than traffic noise and a rather loud sedge warbler.

I then went into the first hide and heard the quail from the direction of the river within ten minutes of going in the hide. I heard it again twice more over a period of twenty minutes, I did not hear it again even though I stayed until 8.50pm

julie

Awww.... spent quite a while with the foxes, they were more scared of the wind than me. There were littler ones as well!

Attachments

• IMG_2626_1.jpg
    IMG_2626_1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2645_1.jpg
    IMG_2645_1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back