• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

go to south gare redcar for little tern a few pairs breed there and are easy to see and its only c45 mins from robin hoods bay

A big thank you to all of you who replied so quickly,have got a couple of days so may head north to try and find the roseates,once again thanks and will post my sightings when I get back.

Just back today from the east coast having been there since Thursday evening. What a disappointment. An easterly airstream (albeit north-easterly) for the whole time, and one decent bird between Filey and Flamborough combined, and that I missed!

I was two miles away from the Marsh Warbler and not doing much in particular (serves me right for not being there birding myself and relying on other people to find stuff - but not always easy with family in tow). By the time my 'phone went off with details it was 21:55pm and too dark even as close as I was.

Next morning I was on site at 06:00am but it had gone. A bit more stuff down the coast at Spurn which I did say would happen.

Anyhow got tomorrow off so may head to Spurn if anything from today sticks.

Edit - Just had Icky through from Flamborough - class!

Last edited:
Spent a few hours at Spurn, "dipped" the Red Breasted Fly and the Icky, but caught up with the Broad Billed Sandpiper. The wind is howling from the East!! may be an interesting week...

Attachments

• BB-Sand-Best.jpg
    BB-Sand-Best.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 73
  • BB-Sand.jpg
    BB-Sand.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 70
Absolutely no proper birding for me but getting settled into new home. Garden list has kicked off nicely with a baby Grey Wag being fed by a parent on the shed and a male Bullfinch in the trees overhanging the garden. Regular visits also from a Song Thrush are all good. Just trying to get running water piped in but council says it'll be at least ten years before we get gas. Not sure i'll be alive when the village gets broadband (at an internet cafe aka my parents currently).

Spent a few hours at Spurn, "dipped" the Red Breasted Fly and the Icky, but caught up with the Broad Billed Sandpiper. The wind is howling from the East!! may be an interesting week...

Also at Spurn this afternoon. The tide was too far out for my target bird- BB Sand. However, two lifers in the form of RB Fly and brief views of the Icky more than made up for it.

Also had a couple of decent flight views of the Golden Oriole while looking for the Icky, and bumped into Marcus and Darren Ward.

Busy but an amazing day;

Fox cubs in the morning
Ring Ousels feeding young at lunch. Tricky year tick complete at Yorks site.
Red B FLy and Icterine Warbler both lifers!! Massive bogeys removed.
Golden Oriole, Yorkshire tick!

Thanks for the gen all!

Some from today.

You still going 'up moors Wednesday Keith?

Attachments

• rf.jpg
    rf.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 61
  • pairings.jpg
    pairings.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 86
  • rbf.jpg
    rbf.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 76
  • curler.jpg
    curler.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Fantastic views of a Greater Cammo'd birder this morning displaying plumage.

Did you go to Warley Marcus?

Fantastic views of a terrible sight coming back across M62, about a mile front of moorland on fire just to north of the motorway on Yorks/Lancs border. High winds obviously fanning the flames 'cause its well alight.

A big thank you to all of you who replied so quickly,have got a couple of days so may head north to try and find the roseates,once again thanks and will post my sightings when I get back.

If you specifically want to see Roseates the best view I've had is on Filey Brigg when they start the migration. Obviously timing has got to be right but there's no access to Coquet Island, don't know how many pairs are on Farne now but there was only one when I was last there (15 years, too long!)

Fantastic views of a Greater Cammo'd birder this morning displaying plumage.

Did you go to Warley Marcus?

Fantastic views of a terrible sight coming back across M62, about a mile front of moorland on fire just to north of the motorway on Yorks/Lancs border. High winds obviously fanning the flames 'cause its well alight.

Unfortunate for our breeding Twite - the last breeding range in England.

Busy but an amazing day;

Fox cubs in the morning
Ring Ousels feeding young at lunch. Tricky year tick complete at Yorks site.
Red B FLy and Icterine Warbler both lifers!! Massive bogeys removed.
Golden Oriole, Yorkshire tick!

Thanks for the gen all!

Marcus, was the Icky seen into the afternoon - no news since mid morning?

Looks like the long awaited fall of migrants might be happening, 3 Icterines, Red Backed shrike and 20+ Spotted Flycatchers so far today at spurn.

According to the spurn sightings blog that Icky was the 200th species for 2008. That's gotta take some beating - I wonder how it compares to other top sites in UK?

Cheers,
Bob.

I make it Red-breasted Flycatcher, Bluethroat, 2 Red-backed Shrikes, 3 Icterine Warblers, Golden Oriole and Serin in the Spurn/Kilnsea area. Bah, this is so unfair, why is there so little in comparison in Norfolk :C. Just so greedy... :eek!:

but council says it'll be at least ten years before we get gas. Not sure i'll be alive when the village gets broadband (at an internet cafe aka my parents currently).

Yer broadband shouldn't be too long a wait but wouldn't hold much hope waiting for the gas. My Dad was told the same story when he moved in 20 years ago. Then later on they were told it could be piped in for £5k per household so long as a certain threshold of houses in the village wanted it.

Er yeah birds and stuff...

Cheers,
Bob.

Here's a picture of the Icterine Warbler trapped at the point this morning, and a picture of one of the many Red-Backed Shrikes, digiscoped through a fogged up lens in a howling gale.

Attachments

• Icterine Warbler 001.jpg
    Icterine Warbler 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Icterine Warbler 002.jpg
    Icterine Warbler 002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Red-Backed Shrike.jpg
    Red-Backed Shrike.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 77
Just checked the latest score from Spurn ;
1 Icterine Warbler
2 Grey-headed Wagtail
1 Marsh Warbler
1 Red-spotted Bluethroat
1 Red-backed Shrike
1 Serin
1 Golden Oriole
1 Red-breasted Flycatcher

Hope Lawts went eventually. Keith, how ridiculous does this have to get before we head east instead of west?

PS anyone know if the Howden RFF is an adult male?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back