• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Spurn it is tomorrow, Jim coming over for 9.30am and then we're off! Jim assures me that the rouzel is easy so I'll have a bash at it next week. There's too many possible life ticks at Spurn for me not to go tomorrow.

It really has been a great day at Spurn, I've had 2 Red-Backed Shrike, Icterine Warbler, Golden Oriele, numerous Spotted Flycatchers then went back tonight for the Marsh Warbler. I was on the way home when the Bluethroat was seen and the Serin turned out to be a Siskin.
Just wish now i'd booked the whole week of work

Has anyone got any tips of when and where to see all these fantastic birds mentioned at the Strid? The most exciting thing I've seen there is a Mandarin so far, and you all talk of seeing Redstarts, Flycatchers, Marsh tits etc.!

I usually tend to go there quite late on on a Sunday, walking the circular route from Barden Bridge to the Pavilion and back-could this be causing problems?

Colonel Blimp, pm on the way.

Good day at Spurn today but not the host of goodies that we hoped for. Marsh Warbler and ortolan bunting were the high spot.

I didn't have much luck at Spurn. No sign of the Marsh Warbler. A possible Tree Pipit (several birders called it as such, although me and some others were not convinced).

Red-backed Shrike and a single Wheatear were only highlights. With hindsight I should have saved the fuel and gone to Filey for the Sub-alpine!

Last edited:
The birds were all over the place. With no pager, no radio it was dumb luck for us. We were in the right place to be told about the ortolan but in going for the oriole and other birds we missed out on so many more.

got a poss red-backed but not enough of a sighting to nail the bird. Just a short glimpse as the bird moved from one hawthorn to another. Less than a second at most, and none of the crucial id features noted.

European Bee-eater E Yorks Flamborough Head
one flew over today plus 2 Red-backed Shrikes, 2 Icterine Warblers, Common Rosefinch, 2 Marsh Warblers, Nightingale, Tree Pipit, Crossbill and Hawfinch

I was in in Birmingham today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back