• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Rarity find of the day was a 1989 United biscuits calendar perfectly preserved by lamination. Rounded off a good week.

A top find, Jim. I can't wait to start using it but will have to bide my time until 2017, 2023, 2034 and every eleven years thereafter. Record shot below.

Full report on a very long and very enjoyable weekend to follow...

Graham

Attachments

• United Biscuits Calendar Scan Small.jpg
    United Biscuits Calendar Scan Small.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 94
See there was one down south. Pity we never got a good view of that bird before it went round the corner for a number of reasons.

I forgot all about it in the excitement of you finding that Common Sand near where the Terek landed. Funny how the Terek never showed after that. ;)

Excellent late decision to visit Spurn this afty. I wasn't going to bother but decided to have a relaxed drive across to show my brother-in-law who'd never been to Spurn before.

Saw Graham (bitterntwisted) in Patringtom en route, and it was about 3:00pm by then.

Arrived at the the now famous orange bucket and the news wasn't good. The wind was cool and a birder said it hadn't shown or sung for over 40 minutes, and I had a non-birder in tow. Anyhow gave it about half an hour, and out he popped, sang a bit and flew to the hawthorns either side. As per others I've seen, much paler and washed out compared to Reed - more like Booted. If I'd had the camera ready I'd have got a nice shot, but unfortunately I wasn't prepared.

Then went on to Spurn and drove to the point. One of the man-eating caterpillars climbed on my leg and was heading for my bare ankle at one point.

Spoke to a birder who put me on to the Red-backed Shrikes in the canal zone. Quickly got both on view at the same time. Then.....a birder's CB went off saying perched Osprey at Beacon Ponds. A mad dash down Beacon Lane, and Mick Turton was scoping it. Just as I was getting near to him, he called it flying. Fortunately it went south instead of north, and Osprey was finally added to the Yorkshire list.

With Cuckoo and Barn Owl thrown in, the latter giving incredible perched and flying views, it was a pretty good afternoon, where for once it all fell neatly into place.

Looked at quite a few photos on t'internet and Grahams suggestion that the "big falcon" I saw towards the end of the day was the monties is probably right. Why do the guides always show some birds soaring only? Need a more detailed book methinks.

Been thinking about getting a CB, for when at Spurn. Can anyone tell me how it works in terms of:

1) Can I get one of those out of Argos with a 10km range for about £50 - why do they look different to the more "industrial" looking ones I've seen at Spurn? If the ones I've seen, wouldn't work (they do have over 300 channels) where do I get the other type?

2) What frequency do you tune into?

3) Is it the done thing - are you okay to listen in, or is it an elite group of Spurn birders?

I'd obviously use on Scilly as well if I ever got there.

Just in case anyone is getting excited over the black headed bunting, birdguides are reporting it as photographed in a Robin Hoods Bay garden late May.

Steve, for the two-way radios I'd check Maplins, http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1714&doy=2m6&MenuName=Two Way Radio. The ones used at spurn look like typical of those I used on chemical plants and are expensive because they are intrinsically safe etc. I wouldn't mind betting that the first radios used there were borrowed from Saltend works! Best bet would be to find out what make most are using and what frequency they are on before choosing, huge difference in price especially if you can buy one of the sets of 4 and then split the costs.

Last edited:
Been thinking about getting a CB, for when at Spurn. Can anyone tell me how it works in terms of:

1) Can I get one of those out of Argos with a 10km range for about £50 - why do they look different to the more "industrial" looking ones I've seen at Spurn? If the ones I've seen, wouldn't work (they do have over 300 channels) where do I get the other type?

2) What frequency do you tune into?

3) Is it the done thing - are you okay to listen in, or is it an elite group of Spurn birders?

I'd obviously use on Scilly as well if I ever got there.

I know John is looking into this so may be we could all club together? He knows all the costs etc. But to answer 3 as long as you pay up I don't think they care.

re: radios - would that be a case of split your forces when at spurn or work areas and listen in to the radio for finds. Gutted i missed osprey and monty. Too busy looking deep into nettle beds i guess.

just need one more bird now for the 200!!

mark.

Last edited:
Been thinking about getting a CB, for when at Spurn.

There is something on their website http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/ if you scroll down a bit.
I have asked and from what I can gather first you have to join "Friends of Spurn" which is £20 a year then you need a vhf radio, it then costs £10 to have the frequency put in and a further £10 a year to use it
There is a guy on the caravan site who sells the radios with the frequency installed but I think they are about £170

Anyone got a spare pair of bins for sale or rent? Going to Wales next week and then Spain the week after in a group of two birders and one non-birder, and while it's not a birding trip per se I'd like to let him join in the birding fun. Having bequeathed my past pairs to relatives, my only spares are compacts with tiny FoV which is really difficult for a beginner to use. Can't get anything worth using for under £50 and more than that seems too generous for a pair I'll never use myself. Would happily pay for a 3 week loan of anything with a clear image and decent FoV.

Thanks,
Graham

Shame this wasn't a bit earlier Graham, I recently gave an old pair of 20x50's to the PDSA. A little bulky but you could have had them for free.
Had my outing to Bolton Abbey yesterday, grey and misty at times but at least it wasn't like it is today. Managed 42 species and heard a few others, didn't see or hear any sign of wood warblers. I think I saw a female redstart (target species) and got close to a singing male without seeing him. Made some mistakes due to stubborness, like taking a route over barden fell without a full amount of liquid. Wished I'd worn dri-fit style clothing due to sweating like a pig. Not a bad day but tiring and hungry in the end.

a quick question, can someone tell me what are the differences between a European Golden Plover and an American Golden plover?? Would not no what to look for....

a quick question, can someone tell me what are the differences between a European Golden Plover and an American Golden plover?? Would not no what to look for....

When trying to pick one out of a flock - AGP is a slighter looking bird, more leggy, in non-breeding plumage slightly paler, and has a stronger supercillium. In flight looks duskier underwing.

I've never seen a summer one but non-breeders are easy to pick out of a flock than the books would have you believe, assuming you're used to looking at goldies... so I'd imagine a summer one would be too - more black below.

Cheers,
Bob.

Depends on plumage! A full sum plum Am GP is a real beauty with much more black on the underparts and broad white shoulder bulges, though the subtle greys on juvs are equally appealing to me at least.

When looking through flocks of European GPs to find an Am GP then initially look for structure/size - they really stand out - smaller, daintier, leggier etc - they also seem to be the really quarrelsome one in the flock, often on the edge kicking up a fuss as they move through the flock - I've found this a really good characteristic for keeping tabs on Am GPs in a flock of Goldies!!

However, the key feature to look for is the underwing - greyish-brown axillaries and inner underwing are a diagnostic feature of a 'Lesser Goldie' [the old name for Pacific GP or Am GP before they were ‘split’].

Something to be very wary of is a lone Grey Plover - quality birders have been duped by this one - they look greyer and different etc, but red faces all round when they lift their wings if they’ve been called as an Am GP :))

If you're sure you've got a 'Lesser Goldie' be sure to eliminate Pacific from the equation. Late summer flocks of Goldies on the Humber are worth scouring for both rare species, especially Pacific.

A fairly recent paper* on the separation of Pacific and American Golden Plover concluded that the most reliable features were: the number of primaries exposed beyond the longest tertial (2-3 in Pacific and 4-5 in American) – but beware of missing tertials!!; primary projection beyond the end of the tail (estimated at 0-9 mm in Pacific and 12-22 mm in American); and plumage of breeding birds………but some individuals are simply not ‘doable’.

However, a good starting point is to find a flock of European GPs and familiarise yourself with the bewildering mix of plumages as you go through the summer into autumn…………

* Johnson O W., and Johnson P M. 2004. Biometrics and field identification of Pacific and American Golden Plovers. British Birds 97:434-443.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back