• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (26 Viewers)

Thanks for the responses, still looks a little difficult to call, however I suppose if there is a flock of GP as suggested the starting point is to look for the one that "stands out from the crowd"...

On a different note I have just booked my B&B for the Scillies in October, 18th to the 25th...£236.35p

Thanks for the responses, still looks a little difficult to call, however I suppose if there is a flock of GP as suggested the starting point is to look for the one that "stands out from the crowd"...

On a different note I have just booked my B&B for the Scillies in October, 18th to the 25th...£236.35p

As has been said, it's a much slighter leggier bird. Immatures are relatively easy because of the bolder super, and overall greyer tones. GP is a much shorter-legged dumpier bird, but obviously appearance can change when birds stretch etc. They are easier than it might be seeming to you.

More difficulty exists between Pacific and American (ah the days when they were just Lessers, and you didn't have to worry), but leave that for another day!

Hope you guys are having better weather in the North. Crap down here in the 'Sunny' South. Still managed to find two Grass Snakes and four Slow-worms yesterday despite the rain. Lesser Whitethroat is my best bird so far. Back to Yorkshire news...

Hi -

Was visiting Wakefield for a festival this weekend and just had a couple of hours spare to try some birding; about 2 hours in NewMillerDam and another two by the canal in Denby Dale.
Very enjoyable, but was optimistically expecting to see all those favourites I can't see at home: GS Woodie, Yellow Wag, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch. Dipped on all of them, which is embarassing! Treecreeper yes, Grey Wag yes, Coal tit yes. but I can see those anytime.

I'll be back about the same time next year. Any tips on where to go on a little day trip from Wakefield? With special emphasis on the above species?

Thanks!

Andrew

Adult Rose-coloured Starling in Wetwang, 51 Northfield Road, happy to have viewers apparently at reasonable hours. Gonna call in on way home (its on my commute)

... favourites I can't see at home: GS Woodie, Yellow Wag, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch. Dipped on all of them, which is embarassing! Treecreeper yes, Grey Wag yes, Coal tit yes. but I can see those anytime.

I'll be back about the same time next year. Any tips on where to go on a little day trip from Wakefield? With special emphasis on the above species?

Fairburn Ings is close to Wakefield - though not sure about Nuthatch or Marsh Tit there.

Cheers,
Bob.

Purple Heron at Fairburn! Anyone know if its a fly over, a stayer or a wet grey heron?

Can't answer Jim but I wish I hadn't logged on before I'd set off, now wondering about giving the rouzels a miss and nipping over to Fairburn. How long do you reckon the rouzels will be about for?

Just spoken to warden on reserve, bird seen before 8.00am flew over visitor centre and kept on going, so rouzels here I come.

Last edited:
Fairburn Ings is close to Wakefield - though not sure about Nuthatch or Marsh Tit there.

Cheers,
Bob.

Thanks Bob. Fairburn seems to be the place. Had assumed that every patch of countryside in England was packed with those species but of course it doesn't work like that...

Hi Pianoman i live 3mile from Wakefield there are GSWoody and Nuthatch in Wakefield park and also in Breton Park which is about 2miles from Wakefield we also get the odd Yellow wag along the canal going to Horbury where i live.There is a spilway passed the Navigation Pub where they are seen feeding.Saw marsh tit at fairburn about a month ago down the small beck where the gate is to where you go over the stacks.Hope this helps Phill

Had a wee tip off about this windfarm application off Spurn. Recently submitted to the planning dept apparently.

Not sure what impact it would have, if any... any thoughts? The same company operate one off Wirral (Burbo) for the last few years without much fuss.

Cheers,
Bob.

along the canal going to Horbury where i live.There is a spilway passed the Navigation Pub

Hi Taz - I think I was at that very stretch of canal on Sunday, a nice walk; saw Greys but no Yellows there, the luck of the draw no doubt. We were staying in the Cedar Court Hotel. Maybe meet up for an hour or so the next time. Thanks!

Hi Taz - I think I was at that very stretch of canal on Sunday, a nice walk; saw Greys but no Yellows there, the luck of the draw no doubt. We were staying in the Cedar Court Hotel. Maybe meet up for an hour or so the next time. Thanks!

On the other side of the motorway is Pugneys country park, worth a visit.

Thanks for the info Jim, scored with rouzels... male, female and nest location even. Possibility of me being able to make tonight as well, what time you intending on being on site?

Thanks Bob. Fairburn seems to be the place. Had assumed that every patch of countryside in England was packed with those species but of course it doesn't work like that...

Nuthatch would be a major sighting at Fairburn Ings, one of the 'common' species that require a full write up for the record to be accepted.

Great spotted woodpecker are pretty regular round the riverside trail from the visitor centre to the village.

Yellow wagtails are seen but usually in low numbers, latest report (2005) has birds being seen daily from mid April to end August. Best area for them is the fields between the visitor centre and Lin Dyke hide at the west end of the reserve.

Marsh tit another rarity with only one record, 28th April 2000, between 1994 and 2005, I don't have reports going back any further than 1994.

Hi Pianoman i live 3mile from Wakefield there are GSWoody and Nuthatch in Wakefield park and also in Breton Park which is about 2miles from Wakefield we also get the odd Yellow wag along the canal going to Horbury where i live.There is a spilway passed the Navigation Pub where they are seen feeding.Saw marsh tit at fairburn about a month ago down the small beck where the gate is to where you go over the stacks.Hope this helps Phill

Phill
You want to get a written description in to the reserve office for this bird, it's another site rarity.

A most unusual day today, sunny and warm when I'm not at work.
Had a bike ride around the Eccup area with no real surprises, red kites among the things seen. If the weather holds up I'll try Fairburn and Swilly on Friday. Not expecting much but you never know, I bet nobody expected the purple heron today.

Complete lack of Starling today. Was on site for a couple of hours this morning and checked the whole village. The Common Starlings seemed to be commuting to and from a wood about 2km away so it may have been hidden in their but the photos I saw were of a very wet adult so maybe it perished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back