• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

The weather charts are starting to build for what may be an epic weekend.

I am going on the Brighton Skua trip tomorrow with some friends, so need something for the afternoon. Not knowing the coastal spots very well, I thought we might head up to Flamborough as I have not been birding there before. I see there is a small plantation there - are there any other good spots on the headland ( or elsewhere) I should look at?

Cheers

I am going on the Brighton Skua trip tomorrow with some friends, so need something for the afternoon. Not knowing the coastal spots very well, I thought we might head up to Flamborough as I have not been birding there before. I see there is a small plantation there - are there any other good spots on the headland ( or elsewhere) I should look at?

Cheers

This page has the latest sightings - http://www.scarboroughwildlife.org.uk/flamborough.htm

The best areas are;

South Landing - take the circular walk
Bay Brambles and the hedge by the light house
Old Fall plantation and the hedge running all the way along (this could be your best bet)
Danes Dyke, there's a nature trail there too
The Dell at Bempton can trap some migrants, usually later on but can hold a barred occaisonally
North Landing and Thornwick bay also get the fair share or migrants

Soooooooo... anywhere can be good! There should be others at Old Fall stood in a field looking into the plantation who can see whats what. Park at the Lighthouse and take the path 'clockwise' N/NE/E until you reach old fall hedgerow.

Hi sorry to sound like the bearer of "doom and gloom" but with a "High front" currently over Scandinavia, and a low front in the atlantic and over europe and the UK sat right in the middle, and winds coming directly North, probably keeping migrants in the north, therefore a "fall" is unlikely (at this stage), now I have voiced my opinion, it is highly likely to be a huge fall this weekend!! But probably not, any way that is my hypothesis...like the New site Marcus!

P.S tried to attach classic Migrant fall charts from the 27th of May this year, and 15th of October 2005, but not sure how to attach

Last edited:

Cheers

It's a long drive up from Brighton, AA routeplanner says 300 miles, 5.5 hours.

Last edited:
Where are your regular haunts KN? Would be great to meet you in person - are you coming on the seawatch?

I don't exist, I'm a java script put into BirdForum by the designers to string threads out a bit with a bit of controversy and strident debate, and made-up statements that sound plausible ;)

I don't actually go 'birding' anymore, as I spend most of the week doing fieldwork. I get about a lot - Eastern England from E Yorks to London are the main counties where I muddy my wellies.

Re passage and migrants, the Spurn website is a good indication of what's moving on the east coast, as it has daily updates of conditions and passage. There's been quite a few Redstarts moving through some of the E Midlands counties this week, and lots of warblers and spot flys are on the move inland. Forecast is looking better for the birds on the east coast today. High pressure over Scandinavia will certainly encourage birds over N&E Europe to move as it is sunny and calm, but once they get to the baltic tonight they'll hit strong easterlies. These only veer north off Norway, davidtucker, out in the North Atlantic, so will only hold back seabirds and not really passerines. Added to that, there's a bank of low cloud and mist just off Britain and shrouding the east coast, so dawn tomorrow could be good. The front then collapses and the easterlies die away from saturday pm, leading to perfect migration weather for the birds and bad fall conditions for the birders. Any grounded birds on the east coast on saturday will probably leave early doors as the weather improves greatly for them from sat am.

Last edited:
I don't exist, I'm a java script put into BirdForum by the designers to string threads out a bit with a bit of controversy and strident debate, and made-up statements that sound plausible ;)

The thought had crossed my mind. I think if someone was going to create a Java script they'd give them a better sense of humour. Anyway fingers crossed for a fall tomorrow. KN I think you've just echoed what I said in the previous post with the wind and the bank of rain over the North Sea. I think there could be a few birds, and there's a chance of a belter rather than any big numbers.

Maybe see you in the field one day KN - I imagine you'll be the one on your own? ;)

The thought had crossed my mind. I think if someone was going to create a Java script they'd give them a better sense of humour.

That's a hilarious avatar you've got there. Jog on.

KN I think you've just echoed what I said in the previous post with the wind and the bank of rain over the North Sea.

I think sat am is as good as it will get tbh. Weather goes downhill from late sat am for your sunday jaunt. Winds drop and veer southerly. But who knows, you may be lucky. It's mostly down to luck, these things.

Maybe see you in the field one day KN - I imagine you'll be the one on your own? ;)

Well i wont be with the anoraks standing round a barred warbler with my 'big lens' fully extended ;)

Last edited:
Just seen the Birdguide Birdmap, and I'm getting more than a bit excited about being on the East Coast next week. I've just completely upgraded all target species and my main target on land will probably end up being wryneck...

I went to Spurn today.

Saw a little flock of about 6 little egret knocking about KIlnsea. Went down to Beacon Ponds and had Med Gull as well as a few other bits and pieces. Flying over the sea saw Sandwich, Common and possible Arctic Tern, Common Scoter, Arctic Skua, Red-throated Diver, plus lots of Gannets and ducks. Had a Marsh Harrier that turned into a Honey Buzzard, then back again.

A group of other birders helped me pick out a Redstart, one of whom I think may've been Birdieboy John off this forum, but I couldn't quite remember. If so, cheers! Also found the Shorelark thanks to their help. By the big Heligoland Trap I got a pied fly, and another redstart, but did not see the Barred Warbler.

Saw hobby at Sammy's point as well as 1000s of Golden Plovers.

Kingfisher at North Cave on the way back.

I don't very often do Spurn, but today I was glad I did. Day total= 73.

And this being a day when I could have gone to the East Coast for the first time in ages but am stuck at home with some sort of virus that makes me feel like I've had six litres of Special Brew and gone on a waltzer.

Harumph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back