• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (23 Viewers)

Good evening all. No reports of the Desert Wheatear for a couple of days at Bempton (that I've seen). Anyone know if it's still there just not reported?

Cheers, word up.

Good evening all. No reports of the Desert Wheatear for a couple of days at Bempton (that I've seen). Anyone know if it's still there just not reported?

Cheers, word up.

When I was there on Monday they were telling people in the shop that it hadn't been reported that day, but I'd just seen it, so was able to put them right. It may be going unreported.

Attachments

• 12-12-11DesertWheatear15BC.jpg
    12-12-11DesertWheatear15BC.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 73
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the id of the Bean Goose at Lebberston that is being reported as a taiga?

Thanks

Not seen the bird myself 'in the flesh' so to speak but a reliable source told me that an experianced local had reservations over it, most notable the bird appears to have a short thick neck (not the long thin neck which Taiga would be expected to show) which appears to me to be case in the photos i have seen (see link below), but as this can change with the birds posture prolonged views in real life would of course be able to confirm or deny this.

See thread below of the North Cave Wetlands 'Taiga' which has some useful photos and comments particularly post #19 by Geoff Dobbs.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=217125

Compared to photos of the Lebberston bird as seen in birdguides link below,

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?t=778902&v=0&q=0

Anybody know if the GW Teal is still present at Fairburn Ings?

Cheers, Sam

I had a quick scan through the teals at Lin Dike whilst at Fairnburn today and no sign of the GWT. All the teal were huddled quite close together on the only patch of open water. Fairburn was fairly quiet overall: shedloads of redwing and fieldfare, maybe about 40 Redpolls (2 of which were borderline Mealy but not claiming them) and usuals like goosander, goldeneye, willow tit...

Taiga Bean

Gary looking at the latest photo by Terry Hobson this shows the classic taiga bill structure as described By Geoff. It has a long bill which creates the long sloping swan goose like appearance combined with the thin grinning patch therefore I would be happy that this is a Taiga.

Even when watching the flock of Taiga Beans at Coxwold in North Yorks a couple of years ago until I got closer views it was hard to determine which form they where and at times i thought there where both Tundra and Taiga in the same flock. So it is easy to understand the differences in opinion.

We have all mis ID pinkfeet as bean geese in the past as well! ;)

A CATTLE EGRET was at Kelk (E.Yorks), first seen flying north toward Burton Agnes late afternoon Saturday. It dropped briefly in two different pasture fields but not for more than a couple of minutes either time. This morning it was seen again, flying south over Kelk village at 10am eventually disappearing out of sight somewhere near Foston-on-the-Wolds (roughly in a line to Tophill).

Almost made me forget the biting cold weather o:D

Could anybody tell me if the Derwent has flooded yet? Fancy a day out with my photographer mate-but eveything's a bit distant when it's dry---

AH - i was at north duffield carrs on friday... no water , but a stunning view of a barn owl. i was in the garganay hide and it flew on to a post only about 12to15 feet away. it was looking at me looking at him for about 2mins , truly brill

Hi,

Im considering going for the RB Gull at Sands Lane GP tomorrow. Can anyone give me any info regarding parking around the area?

Cheers

Hi,

Im considering going for the RB Gull at Sands Lane GP tomorrow. Can anyone give me any info regarding parking around the area?

Cheers

Sands Lane itself is a bit narrow and there's a golf club and old folks home at the top so there's plenty going past all the time. The layby is now the entrance to the fisheries so that's not an option. The RBG has been on the right hand (smaller) pond but that is also being developed for fishing with platforms in position and a rough road around it. Your best bet could be the pub car park (The Ship) as it might not be too busy, from there you can walk over a bit of rough land to the weir, or along the road to the ponds. Mandarin on the river at the moment, kingfisher there also. Snow Bunting at Deer Hill Res or Soil Hill.

SEO's

Seem to be being seen pretty regularly in fields around upper poppleton, just off the a59 between york and knaresborough. 3 birds reported there today.

Could someone put me out of my misery and point me in the direction of SEO's. Have travelled a bit around my area but none showing.
Many thanks
Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back