• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Just jammed in on another good bird at North Cave, sort of self found Grey Phalarope- didnt know about it but read in book there was a phalarope sp. present and promptly refound it and with a couple of other birders, confirming it was a grey. Awesome. Spurn was unproductive early doors. Only single pied and spotted flys plus a phyllosc which got away...

Just jammed in on another good bird at North Cave, sort of self found Grey Phalarope- didnt know about it but read in book there was a phalarope sp. present and promptly refound it and with a couple of other birders, confirming it was a grey. Awesome. Spurn was unproductive early doors. Only single pied and spotted flys plus a phyllosc which got away...

Good work James - the lifers are rolling in now for you!

I reckon I am one of the only people to have seen a full sum plum grey phalarope (red phal) in the UK in July. A one day bird at mere snads wood when I was 9.

Hoping for a couple fo greys at the weekend if this wind sticks!

Good work James - the lifers are rolling in now for you!

I reckon I am one of the only people to have seen a full sum plum grey phalarope (red phal) in the UK in July. A one day bird at mere snads wood when I was 9.

Hoping for a couple fo greys at the weekend if this wind sticks!

20th May 95 @ Swillington Ings was also good for me - as above ' red from throat to tail - Ab Fab!! Anyone remember Scilly 6th Oct 01 - Agnes?? Largest flock (of many) I remember was 28, on the day...

Darren

Had a cheeky detour from work tonight to see the Grey Phalarope at Tophill Low. Showed really well on D' Res, although I didn't get to watch it for as long as I would have liked. Seem to be spending more time twitching than birding lately so not improving my birding skills much.

Would love to go to Norfolk this weekend but going on holiday next week so I'm heading down to Essex to stay with the in-laws (fly from Gatwick). Hope you get some good birds Marcus.

Snow Bunting, Little Auk, Brambling, Black-throated Diver, ?Egyptian Goose-any in county?, Yellow-browed Warbler, Little Stint, Spoonbill, Mandarin, LT Duck, Velvet Scoter, RB Merganser, Merlin, Wood Sand-(too late?), Jack Snipe, Pec Sand, Pom and LT Skua, SE Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spot, Water Pipit, Waxwing, Black Redstart, RB Fly, Icterine Warbler, Firecrest, Bearded Tit(shocker), ? Hawfinch. So a few to play with

Snow Bunting, Little Auk, Brambling, Black-throated Diver, ?Egyptian Goose-any in county?, Yellow-browed Warbler, Little Stint, Spoonbill, Mandarin, LT Duck, Velvet Scoter, RB Merganser, Merlin, Wood Sand-(too late?), Jack Snipe, Pec Sand, Pom and LT Skua, SE Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spot, Water Pipit, Waxwing, Black Redstart, RB Fly, Icterine Warbler, Firecrest, Bearded Tit(shocker), ? Hawfinch. So a few to play with

I still need a load of the above. Sites for Brambling this winter would be appreciated. I also still need Artic Tern!!
You should get SE Owl at Bempton or Flamborough in a couple of months James.

Mandarin and Egyptian Goose both at Dewsbury Sewage Works.

Reckon the lat week of October at Spurn will tick some of these,

If you're still struggling for brambling later in the year Mike, contact me. We have a good site a few miles from us that's been relieable over the past few years. But it is a long way to come. You don't get much farther apart than us and still be in the same county!
Sandra
(Todmorden - W.Yorkshire)

20th May 95 @ Swillington Ings was also good for me - as above ' red from throat to tail - Ab Fab!! Anyone remember Scilly 6th Oct 01 - Agnes?? Largest flock (of many) I remember was 28, on the day...

Darren

I connected with the Swilly bird. A bit distant like most birds there. Not seen as well as many 1st winters but still nice to have seen.

Dipped the Osprey at Saltburn yesterday. Apparently it had been present a few days and had been showing really well. Unfortunately it was taken into care in a very bad way not long before I arrived.

It had resorted to walking up and down the stream/river trying to fish heron style, rather than plunging.

A shame news wasn't clearer that it was spending all its time in the woods. I spoke to several dog walkers who had had stunning views recently.

Also a shame its poor health wasn't spotted earlier as I got the impression it was near to death when picked up.

I still need Osprey for Yorkshire, but I suppose a view of this bird wouldn't have been the best way to add it, albeit it would have counted.

If you're still struggling for brambling later in the year Mike, contact me. We have a good site a few miles from us that's been relieable over the past few years. But it is a long way to come. You don't get much farther apart than us and still be in the same county!
Sandra
(Todmorden - W.Yorkshire)

Any information would be great. I'm always up for a ride across county as long as I don't have to cross the border. Still have nightmares from my last visit into Lancs.

Any information would be great. I'm always up for a ride across county as long as I don't have to cross the border. Still have nightmares from my last visit into Lancs.

I find the large gardens in Ilkley very reliable just across the road from the start of the moor directly below White Wells - often later in the year - March/April feeding on beech mast.

I'm pretty fortunate where I live up near Ripon. Got at least three Red Kites living in the woods around my house (very possibly a breeding pair with a new addition to their family), more buzzards, a lake nearby supporting herons, wildfowl and the occassional cormorants, tons of passerines, tits, finches, sparrows. We even had a Peregrine pass through three weeks ago, nailed a woodpigeon right in our back lane! Breeding Kestrels, lots of waders - predominantly peewits, but I keep me eyes peeled. Lots more I haven't seen probably. I don't know what you other tykes think but it keeps me happy. Think I'll nip over to Fewston reservoir soon.

House Martins

Notwithstanding what you might be thinking about this cold snap, spare a thought for my juvenile House Martins (second brood) - still in the nest churping away.

Hopefully, they'll receive enough food to see out this spell. Warmer weather is the outlook for Sunday and early next week.

Just seems odd with such an autumnal feel to the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back