• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compatibity Gitzo 1377M ball head with old Gitzo tripod (1 Viewer)

Game Bird

Gamebird
Does anyone know whether the Gitzo 1377M ball head will fit onto a Gitzo 323 Studex Compact Performance tripod dating from 1981? It is a very solid tripod (2.55 kg) and I want to fit a Wimberley Sidekick for my Canon 500 f4 lens. Many thanks.

Problem solved!

Gitzo tell me that the 1377M is compatible with the old tripod. But speaking to Bob Rigby Photographic (www.bobrigby.com) they recommend an Acrotech V2 ball head (£254) to go with the Wimberley Sidekick gimbal head (£235). I'll try it on my old tripod first but if I wanted a modern, more lightweight tripod they suggest a carbon fibre Gitzo 3530 LSV.

Game bird,

Stick with the Studex, I've got an even older one which I use, rock solid tri pod. The only thing I had to do was to make a new thread bolt, to give more for the head to screw into the tri pod centre column.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back