• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD Plus! (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi! I've heard some rumors that Leica is going to update their 8x32 Ultravid HDs to HD Plus!

Anyone care to speculate how they might be improved? The light transmission levels on that bin are already quite good, so how could it benefit from the Schott HT glass and new coatings? Do you think the eye relief will be improved on it as well, or are there physical constraints that preclude this?

Anyway, if the rumors are true, this would mean good discounts on 8x32 Ultravid HDs and (hopefully) even better performance with the 8x32 HD Plus! :t:

Even poor HN here might consider buying himself a Leica! ;)

HN

Hi! I've heard some rumors that Leica is going to update their 8x32 Ultravid HDs to HD Plus!

Anyone care to speculate how they might be improved? The light transmission levels on that bin are already quite good, so how could it benefit from the Schott HT glass and new coatings? Do you think the eye relief will be improved on it as well, or are there physical constraints that preclude this?

Anyway, if the rumors are true, this would mean good discounts on 8x32 Ultravid HDs and (hopefully) even better performance with the 8x32 HD Plus! :t:

Even poor HN here might consider buying himself a Leica! ;)

HN

How they need to be improved is better CA control. Allbinos is one of the few review sites to say they are low in CA in the center. Most of the time they get panned for their lack of CA control even the HDs. Tough, I guess, given how short they are (short FL).

They could also use more ER (only 13mm), not sufficient for eyeglass wearers. I doubt if the redesign them, probably just upgrade the prism glass type like they did on the full size models.

I don't know if there are "physical constraints" preventing them from increasing the ER. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is almost as small and it has 16mm ER. But redesigning the EPs would increase cost, so I don't think they are going to do that. Who cares about four-eyed birders? Not Leica, apparently.

Brock

Attachments

• Leica vs. FL.jpg
    Leica vs. FL.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I'm hoping they adjust the pin cushion distortion some.... not thinking field flatteners.

Not as bad as the original Swaro EL WB's, but not far from it.

My $.02,

CG

How they need to be improved is better CA control. Allbinos is one of the few review sites to say they are low in CA in the center. Most of the time they get panned for their lack of CA control even the HDs. Tough, I guess, given how short they are (short FL).

They could also use more ER (only 13mm), not sufficient for eyeglass wearers. I doubt if the redesign them, probably just upgrade the prism glass type like they did on the full size models.

I don't know if there are "physical constraints" preventing them from increasing the ER. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is almost as small and it has 16mm ER. But redesigning the EPs would increase cost, so I don't think they are going to do that. Who cares about four-eyed birders? Not Leica, apparently.

Brock

What review sites are the "they" that pan them for lack of CA control most of the time?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back