Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.97 average.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 09:45   #1001
Stonefaction
Yes!

Things may be rather quiet at the Eden Estuary Centre just now with most waders still away at their breeding grounds. Probably be just a handful of Redshanks, Oystercatchers and Curlews. Black Tailed Godwits are starting to move again so you may find one or two of those from the hide, as well as a Lapwing or two. July is usually when Kingfisher sightings start to pick up at the hide too, and Common Sandpiper might also be seen on the river out front. Both usually call in flight, so it is worth learning their calls, so that you have a warning that it is worth looking. Feeders may have family groups coming to feed.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 10:12   #1002
Gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
Things may be rather quiet at the Eden Estuary Centre just now with most waders still away at their breeding grounds. Probably be just a handful of Redshanks, Oystercatchers and Curlews. Black Tailed Godwits are starting to move again so you may find one or two of those from the hide, as well as a Lapwing or two. July is usually when Kingfisher sightings start to pick up at the hide too, and Common Sandpiper might also be seen on the river out front. Both usually call in flight, so it is worth learning their calls, so that you have a warning that it is worth looking. Feeders may have family groups coming to feed.
Thanks Stonefaction. The Redshanks, Godwits and Sandpipers would all be new to me, so it sounds great. I'll certainly be taking your advice on learning the bird calls you mentioned.
Old Monday 4th July 2016, 20:59   #1003
Gander

First Visit

Following a day at Morton Lochs and Kinshaldy, I moved on to the Eden estuary hide.

Lots of activity at the feeders next to the hide. Great, Coal & Blue Tits. Dunnock and House Sparrow, along with my first Tree Sparrows.

On the estuary it seemed very quiet. A few Common Sandpipers were another first. Shelduck present along with lots of Oystercatchers and Curlew. Highlight of the day was the arrival of a couple of Ospreys.

Really enjoyable couple of hours, although I think I need a scope for this kind of spotting
Old Friday 14th July 2017, 19:52   #1004
Stonefaction
Yes!

Pretty quiet at the hide at Guardbridge on Wednesday afternoon. Work ongoing through the fence to the north is keeping the majority of birds rather distant. Waders starting to increase in number and at least 2 Little Egrets around (4 reported in the book a few days ago). No Kingfisher yet.

More info on my blog....

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogs...den-12717.html

Decent afternoon last month -

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogs...uff-11617.html

and a visit in May that bore fruit...

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogs...dies-7517.html
Old Saturday 19th August 2017, 21:45   #1005
Stonefaction
Yes!

Had a rather good afternoon in the Eden Estuary Centre hide today. Two very unexpected sightings. A female Marsh Harrier that I only caught a glimpse of as it was chased off by the local Carrion Crows and then later a fly-past by a Yellow Wagtail, just above the hide. However, I decided to try and see if the Yellow Wagtail had landed on the grass behind the hide, but had to finish writing up the sightings list in the book (forgot to put the Yellow Wagtail in!). Once I'd done that, I stood up to close the window and realised that one of the two dark birds flying just out in front was a Carrion Crow. The other was the Marsh Harrier! Unfortunately, my camera decided it wan't going to co-operate so I managed 1 good photo, 9 just about passable, and lots only fit for the recycling bin. No sign of the Yellow Wagtail outside either.

Also 5 Little Egrets, 2 Ruff (1 red adult male & 1 juv), 1 Knot, Black Tailed Godwits, at least 5 Ospreys, a White Tailed Eagle, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Common & Sandwich Terns, Wigeon, Canada Geese, Common Sandpiper, Kingfisher, Stock Dove and Willow Warbler. Buddleia out front covered in Peacock butterflies and a few Red Admirals (& 1 or 2 Whites).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5X_2172 20170819_163929.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	636661  Click image for larger version

Name:	D5X_2030 20170819_150652.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	852.5 KB
ID:	636662  
Old Sunday 20th August 2017, 14:48   #1006
Gander

That is a good afternoon! I'm heading there on Tuesday to try and find the elusive W-T Eagle. I'll add Yellow Wagtail to your entry if you want.
Old Monday 21st August 2017, 18:16   #1007
Stonefaction
Yes!

Already sorted - was back yesterday afternoon. Not as exciting, though a Bank Vole on one of the hanging peanut feeders was a bit different. Ruff duo still around, but no sign of Marsh Harrier or Yellow Wagtail. Plenty Ospreys over too, also Peregrine and Kestrel.

With regards the WTE, have you considered the Balgove Bay hide near the western end of the golf course? This would have the bonus of being able to see up the coast a bit as well as the two poles in the estuary (harder to see against the background but closer to the hide). If you time your visit for the tide coming in you should get a mix of waders too being pushed close. If you've not been before, drive in past the driving range, park at the car park and take the path west past the starters box. 20 minutes walk will take you to the hide. There's a wee reedy pond on the golf course more or less behind it across the fairway. I can send you the combination lock code, if you need it, just let me know.
Old Monday 21st August 2017, 18:41   #1008
Gander

Balgove sounds like a good idea. I intended to go there last year to try for the Brent's, but I saw them from the road, so never went to the hide.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 15:57   #1009
Gander

Greenshank

A few photos from this morning at the centre. Bird was parading along the near side shoreline.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8676.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	641837  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8677.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	641838  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8678.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	641839  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8679.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	641840  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8680.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	641841  

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 16:10   #1010
Gander

Little Stint

Also this morning, a lifer for me in the form of a Little Stint (2 of them in fact). This is a bird that led me a merry dance across Fife last Autumn, so I'm very happy to have finally caught up with it.

In addition to the Greenshank pictured in previous post, there were two Pintail and a Kingfisher present. Loads of Pink-Footed Geese passing overhead too.

No W-T Eagle though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8730.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	641844  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8746.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	641845  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8812.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	641847  
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 20:15   #1011
kawwauser

hi paul were the little stint seen from the eden centre ?

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 21:22   #1012
Gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawwauser View Post
hi paul were the little stint seen from the eden centre ?
Yes they were. Initially, they were right down to the left at the bend in the river channel. As the tide came in they moved along until directly opposite the centre. Both birds stuck religiously to the very edge of the water.
Old Thursday 2nd November 2017, 19:27   #1013
Gander

It had to happen.

Yes, it had to happen. Finally, I have managed to find a White-Tailed Eagle. A very distant view from the centre, but definitely an eagle out on one of the posts.

Also, present was my first onshore Spotted Redshank. A much closer view, but if it hadn't been pointed out by another birder, I'm not sure I would have picked it out from the crowds of Common Redshank.

Many years ago, on a stormy night, I found a black wader sitting on a walkway of the oil platform I was working on. This was pre Google, so it went unidentified at the time, but I now think it was a Spotted Redshank. Time has faded the memory of it somewhat, but I do remember that my bird either had distinctive bright red legs or maybe bright red in the beak, or possibly both. I thought at the time that it looked like a cartoon caricature of a wader.

So although not a lifer like the W-T Eagle, today's bird feels almost as good as one.

Also present today were four Brent Geese and three flighty Little Egrets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN9177.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	645054  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9209.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	645060  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9217.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	645061  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9219.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	645063  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9227.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	645064  

Last edited by Gander : Thursday 2nd November 2017 at 19:32.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: