Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 11:17   #51
Tree Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
Hope you enjoyed your Christmas John.

It's freezing but not quite that cold here. I think it was sometime in the '80s that the temperatures went down that much, isn't it? We had foot long icicles hanging off the eaves!

D
Something like these icicles Delia?

I walked over the hill yesterday to get to the shop and damn hard work it was too lol. Got great views of a fox but very little bird life around. A bullfinch, a bluetit getting the seeds out of the pods on broom, an owl (tawny I think but I only got a fleeting look) being mobbed by a crow and a treecreeper.

Very busy in the garden though, I can always tell when the weather really starts to bite when the yellowhammers arrive in force and I've got at least 4 here at the moment.

Just glad we're not as cold here as in Nethy!

TS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Icicles 27.12.09.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	234525  
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 11:32   #52
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Yes, just like those Fiona!

That was some hard winter we had

I hope you enjoyed the festivities

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 11:55   #53
Tree Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
Yes, just like those Fiona!

That was some hard winter we had

I hope you enjoyed the festivities

D
Well the weather cocked it all up a bit . I'd planned to do a Tesco shop just before they closed on Christmas Eve to grab some cut price food but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Just glad we've got food in the freezer.

Now I'm getting bored. It's just such an effort walking in deep snow. I might make myself go out later in search of badgers or else I'm going to go stir crazy .

Hope you had a good time!

TS
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 16:59   #54
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Sparrow View Post
Well the weather cocked it all up a bit . I'd planned to do a Tesco shop just before they closed on Christmas Eve to grab some cut price food but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Just glad we've got food in the freezer.

Now I'm getting bored. It's just such an effort walking in deep snow. I might make myself go out later in search of badgers or else I'm going to go stir crazy .

Hope you had a good time!

TS
Where do you live Tree Sparrow ? The photo makes Aberdeen look like the Med..! (I wish)
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 17:38   #55
Marcus Conway - ebirder

Looks like a picked a good winter to move up

Brrrrr!!

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 18:59   #56
Tree Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Where do you live Tree Sparrow ? The photo makes Aberdeen look like the Med..! (I wish)
Near Dufftown and probably 200 ft higher than Dufftown.

The Med or even Aberdeen sounds quite tempting at the moment. I will admit that this weather caught us a bit on the hop. We don't normally get serious snow until Feb/March.

TS
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 19:11   #57
Tree Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Conway - ebirder View Post

Brrrrr!!
Best to know what it can be like early on. If we'd known how much snow we might get when we first moved here we'd never have got rid of the JCB! Unfortunately for us our first winter didn't have more than 6 inches of snow and we thought the JCB was a waste of space. Ha ha ha ha.....big mistake lol.

TS
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 19:12   #58
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Conway - ebirder View Post

Brrrrr!!
You must admit it looks pretty though Marcus - just think of the dirty slush there'll be around Leeds

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 19:33   #59
jpoyner

Had to get a tractor down to dig my car out today, otherwise we may be starving by New Year ! The Ravens have moved down on to the farm since the bad weather began. They'll be very welcome once the lambing starts no doubt. Quite a few Bullfinches about also I noticed, but apart from two very hardy looking Chaffinches this morning there has not been a single bird on my feeder all day. A small group of Whooper Swans seem to be using the river near Broomhill which is still running......Loch Garten has become an ice rink!

Taken this evening:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmas09-65edit.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	234604  

Last edited by jpoyner : Sunday 27th December 2009 at 19:44.
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 19:46   #60
Joseph N
Lothian Young Birder

Took a trip up to Burghead today from Aberdeen in search of the King Eider, and was very happy to find that it was still there, incredibly close in (maybe about 80ft) with 15 or so Common Eiders. Very much worth the trip, its a cracking bird and the viewing conditions couldn't have been better. I wonder how long the bird will stay?
Old Tuesday 5th January 2010, 18:54   #61
alan kennedy

Just back from a week on South Uist. The islands have not escaped the 'big freeze'. Virtually all the fresh water has been frozen for days, which is exceptional. I go out there frequently, including at this time of the year, and I've never seen so many duck, snipe, etc feeding on the foreshore at all states of the tide.

Had great views of a water rail feeding on the Howmore River. A first for me out there.

Alan
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:00   #62
Dmacaskill

s uist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan kennedy View Post
Just back from a week on South Uist. The islands have not escaped the 'big freeze'. Virtually all the fresh water has been frozen for days, which is exceptional. I go out there frequently, including at this time of the year, and I've never seen so many duck, snipe, etc feeding on the foreshore at all states of the tide.

Had great views of a water rail feeding on the Howmore River. A first for me out there.

Alan
thanks alan for the report.Iwas out there in may,we saw some fantastic birds ,including lt skua , golden oriel ,turtle dove , r,n phalarope,se owl,i was working on n uist in 1991 planting trees and the birds then were pretty much the same .The uists are a brilliant place to spend some timein.
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:43   #63
Penny Clarke

Also see my Fair Isle thread I started awhile back:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....43#post1692443

CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG
Old Sunday 10th January 2010, 19:05   #64
Dmacaskill

First time out since christmas ,had to go to co\op ,so went for Brora spent an hour at beach car park. got...2 g n divers,2 rbm, 4 goldeneye, 5 common scoter,12 eider,6 lt duck,2 golden plover,redshank, curlew,oystercatcher,2purple sandpiper,song thrush, redwing,gulls crows.
Old Monday 11th January 2010, 18:53   #65
alan kennedy

Reads like anothet great day out. Full marks for braving the elements.

Very quiet down here. My watersupply has been frozen since getting back after hogmanay - breaking ice in the burn to flush the loo and overdosing on deodorant!

However, did see a rook at the head of Loch Aline last week. Nobody in these parts can remember seing one in Morvern before. There are 3 known rookeries on Mull so, bearing in mind the extraordinary weather, it may well have crossed the Sound.

Alan
Old Monday 11th January 2010, 20:41   #66
Marcus Conway - ebirder

A Red Admiral today in Inverness city center according to the OH

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th January 2010, 23:06   #67
jpoyner

First day above zero here since before Christmas! Very slight thaw. Tonight it's 1C thats 15C warmer than this time last night!!!!!!!

Couple of Crossbill sp over the village this afternoon, but other than corvids very quiet.

Although the roads are clear, there is so much snow piled up to the verges there is nowhere at all to park or pass without getting stuck. So you can't actually drive anywhere and stop, other than centres of villlages and towns.
Old Tuesday 12th January 2010, 15:27   #68
ring ouzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoyner View Post
First day above zero here since before Christmas! Very slight thaw. Tonight it's 1C thats 15C warmer than this time last night!!!!!!!

Couple of Crossbill sp over the village this afternoon, but other than corvids very quiet.

Although the roads are clear, there is so much snow piled up to the verges there is nowhere at all to park or pass without getting stuck. So you can't actually drive anywhere and stop, other than centres of villlages and towns.
Up here in Muir of Ord its is very busy. Got some more bird food in today and had 25 greenfinches, a dozen chaffinches, 3 bramblings, 15 woodpigeons and assorted gulls, corvids and thrushes all trying to get a piece of the action. Around the village red kite, G.S. woodpeckers and bullfinches are showing well. And the great tits have started singing!
Old Wednesday 13th January 2010, 13:25   #69
TheSeagull

Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.
Old Wednesday 13th January 2010, 17:22   #70
alan kennedy

I like your NY's resolution Seagull. Keep us posted on your progress.

Alan
Old Thursday 14th January 2010, 09:30   #71
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeagull View Post
Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.
It's the forested hill just north of the Kessock bridge. Yes, it's excellent for Red Kites as is any decent vantage point on the Black Isle.
Old Thursday 14th January 2010, 17:18   #72
Dmacaskill

[quote=TheSeagull;1699917]Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.[/QUOTE

Head north across kessock bridge then take the turn off to north kessock,you then take the underpass and follow the road till you come to afirst right,that takes you to the ordhill car park.There is a network of walking trails around the woods .good area for kites but you should see them just about anywhere on the black isle...I have seen red squirrels here aswell,with a bit of luck you may get pine marten..
Old Tuesday 19th January 2010, 18:16   #73
malgos

Crested Tits

Hi
I want to try and photograph Crested Tits and I have been told that the car park at Loch Garten is a good spot. Is this the best site for photo opportunities or any one reccomend a good spot.
Many thanks
Malcolm
Old Friday 22nd January 2010, 20:20   #74
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgos View Post
Hi
I want to try and photograph Crested Tits and I have been told that the car park at Loch Garten is a good spot. Is this the best site for photo opportunities or any one reccomend a good spot.
Many thanks
Malcolm
Depends on what time of year you are going? Forget late April/May, they can be harder to find than Hens teeth when incubating.
Old Saturday 23rd January 2010, 10:54   #75
Seamoor

We will be going to South Uist for a week on 15th may, this will be our second year. We are looking for Grey Phalarop, as we missed it last year. Any suggestions where we might see it. Thank you
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: