• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish for ID (1 Viewer)

The shovel snout on the middle UK photo suggests a teeny tiny Pike to me. I'm not sure about the others, though the last one could be a Three-spined Stickleback.

Is this one from Finland a Perch? It looks like there are stripes & a double dorsal fin. The last UK one with 2 fish are Rudd I think. They are surface feeders & the dorsal fin seems to be far enough back towards the tail to be this species.

Is this one from Finland a Perch? It looks like there are stripes & a double dorsal fin. The last UK one with 2 fish are Rudd I think. They are surface feeders & the dorsal fin seems to be far enough back towards the tail to be this species.

Yes, after some tilting of the laptop to increase screen contrast I agree with the Perch diagnosis.

John

Second UK one reminded me very much of Three-spined Stickleback. First one did too tho' I'm a little confused by the apparent striping along the body.....it's been a few years since I kept the species :smoke:

I'm still not 100% sure on that first UK pic :smoke: Something didn't look 'right' for minnow to me and comparing it with photos of the species has me thinking it might actually be a female stickleback. Minnows have a blunt nose and a clear horizontal dark line along their length (though this isn't clear in the pic).....it's just the length of the nose which has got me wondering?

Attachments

• 9e451419-1b7d-47d7-9e34-1fc70cae4879_zps8c3fc403.jpg
    9e451419-1b7d-47d7-9e34-1fc70cae4879_zps8c3fc403.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 28
The Florida photo is an Oscar a well known tropical fish from South America released in to the wilds. Astronotus ocellatus.
England 1 three-spined.
2 male three-spined in breeding colours.
3 possibly a Rudd.
India Grey Mullet.
Finland Perch.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back