• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friendly Bird (1 Viewer)

dthomas17

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? He showed up about 3 days ago and has made himself at home. Very people friendly and will come to you when called. I live in Auburndale Florida. I hope that there is a bird rescue or sanctuary near by that I can take him to be safe.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 96
Looks like a pigeon, quite possibly someones pet bird.
Not sure the animal rescue people will take it in, it seems healthy out on its own.
It will subsist very nicely on seeds, just be sure to have water available.

Pigeons have lots of character and are very capable birds. They are popular for good reason.

I live in a very remote area I know there is a large population of osprey, eagles and hawks but I have really never seen a pigeon around here before. I believe you are right he is most likely someone’s pet. He seems very healthy. I put food and water about 100 yards from the house. I will keep him fed and watered then hopefully he finds his way home. Until then he is driving me nuts. He wants to ride on my head every time I go outside. If we leave the door open to lone he flies into the house. I’ve never seen a bird like this.

I live in a very remote area I know there is a large population of osprey, eagles and hawks but I have really never seen a pigeon around here before. I believe you are right he is most likely someone’s pet. He seems very healthy. I put food and water about 100 yards from the house. I will keep him fed and watered then hopefully he finds his way home. Until then he is driving me nuts. He wants to ride on my head every time I go outside. If we leave the door open to lone he flies into the house. I’ve never seen a bird like this.

Pigeons in the wild rarely fall prey to the bigger raptors you mention, simply because they are more agile. Their predators are smaller, falcons and accipiters, birds that can match them in the air.
Your birds is pretty obviously a household pet, but hopefully you can re-acclimatize him to the wild.
I'd check with the local paper to see if anyone has posted a missing bird report, but don't hold out much hope. Pigeons are very strong fliers and this one may have come from far away.

For a "very remote" area, you're not far from some animal shelters, even without driving an hour to Tampa:

Humane Society
3195 Dundee Rd, Winter Haven, FL 33881
humanesocietyofpolkcounty.org
(863) 324-5227

SPCA
5850 Brannen Rd S, Lakeland, FL 33813
spcaflorida.org
(863) 646-7722

Won't be a high priority for them, but never hurts to ask for local advice. I think I'd just taper its food and let it survive on its own, but if there's anybody out there looking to adopt escaped pet pigeons, the SPCA is your best bet for finding such a person.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back