• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned Nest? (1 Viewer)

scotbird123

Hi!
There is a swallows nest in my garage fully built with 5 eggs in. I saw both parents quite frequently during building stage but sadly haven't seen either in the garage in about 3 weeks, I'm not sure if I am just unlucky and keep missing them but I doubt it. Is this definitely abandoned and is there any hope for the eggs? I shined a torch through one and a yolk can be seen but no vessels. We do have two cats but they (sadly) normally bring kills into the house, so I do not think they are to blame for this, unless the birds decided to abandon the nest due to their presence? I see a pair hanging about a tree near the garage but never go in! Quite upsetting as it's not nice to see 5 eggs and all the hard work go to waste! What is everybody's thoughts on this? Is there any hope of them coming back or has it been too long? Thank you in advance, would just like a few thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back