Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 14th July 2017, 21:10   #1
Gander

Cairngorms

Just back from a week's family holiday in the Cairngorms. I didn't get to do any serious birding, as my list of birds not found would testify. Most frustrating were the Crested Tits. Actually got to hear them once, but that was as close as I got. Dropped in at Avielochan to try and find Slavonian Grebe, but just found Little Grebe. Tried Lochindorb for Black-Throated Diver, but no joy. No Ptarmigan, Dotterel, Red Grouse or Snow Bunting on Cairngorm. No Crossbill or Capercaillie in the forests.

However, as I first indicated, I didn't have any real time to invest in looking for the birds, as priorities were else where. That said, I did find a few nice birds along the way (photos attached). Best was the family of Ring Ouzel on Cairngorm, but didn't manage a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6680.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	633249  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6692.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	633250  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6735.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	633251  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6753.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	633252  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6979.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	633253  

Old Friday 14th July 2017, 21:17   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Nice Spotted Fly.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:37   #3
Kathi Hutton

Yank birder here, practicing her ID skills. I've got Siskin, Spotted Flycatcher (Thanks, Clark), Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Osprey, but what is the plain yellow bird with the finch bill on the peanut feeder?

EDIT: Oh, wait ... Greenfinch?

Kathi

Last edited by Kathi Hutton : Saturday 15th July 2017 at 18:41.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 21:29   #4
andm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi Hutton View Post
Yank birder here, practicing her ID skills. I've got Siskin, Spotted Flycatcher (Thanks, Clark), Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Osprey, but what is the plain yellow bird with the finch bill on the peanut feeder?

Kathi
All correct
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 21:31   #5
Gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi Hutton View Post

Kathi
Yes, well done.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 21:38   #6
Gander

And a few general interest wildlife shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6704.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	633325  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6713.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	633326  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7032.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	633327  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6721.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	633328  
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 15:36   #7
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander View Post
Just back from a week's family holiday in the Cairngorms. I didn't get to do any serious birding, as my list of birds not found would testify. Most frustrating were the Crested Tits. Actually got to hear them once, but that was as close as I got. Dropped in at Avielochan to try and find Slavonian Grebe, but just found Little Grebe. Tried Lochindorb for Black-Throated Diver, but no joy. No Ptarmigan, Dotterel, Red Grouse or Snow Bunting on Cairngorm. No Crossbill or Capercaillie in the forests.

However, as I first indicated, I didn't have any real time to invest in looking for the birds, as priorities were else where. That said, I did find a few nice birds along the way (photos attached). Best was the family of Ring Ouzel on Cairngorm, but didn't manage a photo.
Sadly the birds at Avielochan deserted the nest, as did the Divers at Lochindorb. Both due to human disturbance.

Last edited by jpoyner : Friday 21st July 2017 at 15:40.
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 16:33   #8
Ratal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoyner View Post
Sadly the birds at Avielochan deserted the nest, as did the Divers at Lochindorb. Both due to human disturbance.
That's sad beyond belief. The birds are teetering on the brink as it is. Why these people have to get so close is beyond me.

*If they want super up close shots of BTD, go to Lairg and watch them on Little Loch Shin. They sail past like Mallards.
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 16:46   #9
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratal View Post
That's sad beyond belief. The birds are teetering on the brink as it is. Why these people have to get so close is beyond me.

*If they want super up close shots of BTD, go to Lairg and watch them on Little Loch Shin. They sail past like Mallards.
I think Anglers have been a problem In the past at Lochindorb but It would'nt surprise me Is some selfish photographers played their part In the disturbance.Some just can't get close enough,despite having massive lenses.
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 17:06   #10
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
I think Anglers have been a problem In the past at Lochindorb but It would'nt surprise me Is some selfish photographers played their part In the disturbance.Some just can't get close enough,despite having massive lenses.
It would astonish me as I've never seen a birder or birder/photographer up there with a boat, and I'd be more than slightly surprised if one was prepared to trust their big white lens to a kayak.

Fishermen - yes. Grockles - almost certainly, assuming the anglers don't shoot people trespassing in boats or whatever the term is up there. Especially since people with little short lenses habitually get too close to everything, or try to....

What I'm not surprised about is an opportunist ignorant anti-photographer comment.

John
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 22:46   #11
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
It would astonish me as I've never seen a birder or birder/photographer up there with a boat, and I'd be more than slightly surprised if one was prepared to trust their big white lens to a kayak.

Fishermen - yes. Grockles - almost certainly, assuming the anglers don't shoot people trespassing in boats or whatever the term is up there. Especially since people with little short lenses habitually get too close to everything, or try to....

What I'm not surprised about is an opportunist ignorant anti-photographer comment.

John
The main problem at Lochindorb is anglers on the shore. Though believe it or not there were two guys out on the loch with lenses chasing them in a kayak a few years ago.

Last edited by jpoyner : Friday 21st July 2017 at 22:49.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: