• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird is dead HELP (2 Viewers)

MobiusX

I have a bird feeder and water feeder in my backyard and today I noticed a bird that was just on the bird feeder by itself for a couple of minutes, I thought it was nothing and in the afternoon I noticed the bird was on the cement under my porch just standing there and wasn't moving and looked tired and it could see me. I was going to take it to the vet and put it inside a dog cage but when I went outside it was back on the bird feeder and I was trying it to get in the cage then I went flying to the trees. But when I went to check on the food I looked down and saw a dead bird. I had just cleaned the water feeder today and the bird feeder and I always use more water than I am supposed to to make sure all of the soap is gone. The water is purified water in a gallon and the food is the highest rating food I could find, it's called Kaytee Basic Blend Wild Bird Food.

I got so worried that I threw the food in the garbage and I didn't notice ANY insects there, but I still threw it just to make sure. I keep the food inside the house in a room inside a suitcase and have for more than a year since I got the water and food feeder. I even changed the water to make sure. The dead bird was on the ground right below the bird feeder. They do fight for food and sometimes you will have a small bird being attacked by a big bird by the bird birds just fly away and wait for the bigger bird to fly or sometimes the small birds fight with each other. I didn't even see any bleeding on the dead bird or bruises. The bird that looked tired and weak later on after I got rid of the dead bird went below the bird feeder around where the dead bird was and just stood there doing nothing while the flies were all over in that area.

Is it safe for those birds to be eating from the bird seeds where the dead bird was on? I don't even know for how long that bird was there, but I did notice for the past 2 or 3 days the birds weren't eating as much. I thought I would have noticed that dead bird there since I refill the water and food every day. Do I have to get rid of those bird seeds from the ground? I noticed a lot of flies in that area probably because of the dead bird.

The only thing I noticed about the bird that looks weak and tired is that the back is sticking out more than what I think it should be, that's it or it might just be because it's weak and tired that it looks down. I don't know. But for some reason that weak and tired bird goes to the bird feeder eating and also drinking water but I notice a lot of times it's the only bird there, but in the morning I saw more birds.

Other than just sweeping those bird seeds from the ground since there are so many, is there another way to pick them up? Is there something after I do or don't to cover it with something? I don't want the other birds to get sick.

The only other thing I can think about that could cause the birds to get sick is that some birds go to the bathroom in the water feeder and when I notice this I move the bottom plate of the water feeder to get rid of it. I change the water every day. I clean both the water and bird feeder with soap and water once a week and have been doing it since I got the water and bird feeder. I spray the crap left on the water feeder with a water hose to get rid of it. I clean the inside of the water feeder too, like I said a lot of water to be sure there is no soap left inside.

What could have caused the death of the bird? The other strange thing I noticed about the weak and tired bird is that for the first time ever I noticed it under my porch, the only birds I see under my porch are barn swallows and I had bought 2 bird houses for them and this other bird (don't know what kind) was on top of one of them in the morning. I just stared at it and thought it was weird that it was there. I never saw another kind of bird other than the barn swallows under my porch.

Birds die for a range of reasons, just like humans. It is perfectly possible (even likely, given the efforts you go to) this bird died for reasons completely unrelated to your feeding activities.
What you need to watch for is a trend, not a single event, before getting too concerned. If more birds die or get sick on or around your property then you need to be concerned and take action.

I think you just threw away some perfectly good seed ..........:)

Mick

I just thought of something today. Is it safe to wash the bird feeder and water feeder with ultra concentrated dish washing liquid, the brand is Great Value. I use it to wash my own dishes and wash the inside and outside of the bird and water feeder and ALWAYS use more water than I should be using to rinse the soap out just to make sure all of the soap is gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back