• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

I had an interesting couple of walks checking out my local patch in Roslin Glen prior to doing my tetrad for the winter bird survey. For those of you who don't know the area, Roslin Glen is part of the North Esk Valley river system, which drains from the Pentland Hills through Midlothian, merging with the South Esk at Dalkeith, and into the sea at Musselburgh. Roslin Glen itself comprises mainly deciduous woodland with a smattering of Scots Pine and other conifers, and is bounded by arable farmland and some sheep grazing land.

Saturday was an illustration of how survey work could be skewed by an unusual sample on the survey day. Having not seen a single siskin in Roslin Glen for over a year, the first thing I saw walking along the track from my house was a big flock of siskins feeding on cones in my neighbour's conifer tree. I estimated 40 siskins altogether. There were good numbers of finches nearby, approximately 20 bullfinches, and I also saw a new species for the patch in the form of brambling (two). There was no sign of the nuthatches near Roslin Chapel, usually a reliable pair and very vocal. Further downstream towards Hawthornden, I saw three jays flitting between trees; Bruce Kerr from Polton has taken an interest in jays and has seen up to seven just downriver at the Hewan Wood recently, so it seems that this species is consolidating nicely in the river valley. A female sparrowhawk was hunting along the river margins, and is a regular sight there. Two buzzards were soaring overhead.

Neil
The previous weekend I had seen a large flock of around 100 redwing near Roslin Chapel along with a dozen mistle thrushes and a few fieldfare, but no sign of these this week.

Nice to hear of the Jays being sited regularly in this area, for the past 2 years I have seen a pair in the Clerk estate at Penicuik but this was only for a few weeks in the late summer. Also for the past few years Green woodpeckers have been breeding in the estate which was great to see, I was aware that they were present further down the Glen for a number of years but it has took them awhile to move up as far as Penicuik. Was also privaleged to watch a white stoat/Ermine last week whilst in the estate. As you will be able to work out I am a regular visitor to the Clerk Estate and would recomend it any one. The whole stretch of the Esk Valley is a fantastic environment for birdwatching
John

Faseny

One of my very favourite places to go birding and just to get away from it all is Faseny Valley in the Lammermuirs. It's fairly remote for Lothian with the nearest village,Gifford, about 6 miles away. It was a 8/8 blue sky day when I set off with some definite warmth in the sun.

Arriving at Faseny there were lots of meadow pipits around. Skylarks were chasing each other and singing. A few red grouse were burbling away in the heather. A stoat shot across the path. Down by the cottage were as many as 10 pied wagtails. One of them looked like a male alba to me with clear cut black patch on head ending sharply at the neck-could that be right? There were no wheatears about in the usual places. 2 lapwings were doing their crazy elastic flight and there were a few curlew giving their plaintive call.

My favourite spot involves crossing a stream and water levels were highish so off with the shoes and over I went-unfortunately in a downward direction as I slipped on a stone and landed on my backside. I thought of heading back but stripped and put on my waterproof trousers(oh the feel of goretex on naked skin). And then things got better. A dipper showed of his underwater skills. The first of 10 stonechat was heard singing and chacking. Then I flushed a mountain hare from almost under my feet-remarkably it only moved 10 yards or so instead of disappearing over the horizon as they normally do. I managed to sneak up and get a picture(see below) of this lovely creature just starting to emerge from it's winter coat. And then 100 yards or so further on I heard a familiar scolding took-took call and there 50 yards away was my first ring ouzel of the year.Back down to the main valley and a second bird was seen up on a fence post(one rubbish distant shot attached).

From there I went on to Gosford Bay. For once the water was calm and I had the remarkable experience of seeing black necked grebe,2 red necked grebe, a great crested grebe and a slavonian grebe all in the same bay. There was also an impressive count of 42 red breasted mergansers long tailed ducks yodelling and common and velvet scoters. I even had the first 3 grebes in the scope at one time. A chiffchaff was singing in the trees behind the car park

A quick look at the scrapes at Musselburgh produced good views of the water pipit that has been around for some time. No sign today of the jack snipe that was present at the weekend

Attachments

• Hare.jpg
    Hare.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Ringo.jpg
    Ringo.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Faseny.jpg
    Faseny.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Faseny2.jpg
    Faseny2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
One of my very favourite places to go birding and just to get away from it all is Faseny Valley in the Lammermuirs. It's fairly remote for Lothian with the nearest village,Gifford, about 6 miles away. It was a 8/8 blue sky day when I set off with some definite warmth in the sun.

Arriving at Faseny there were lots of meadow pipits around. Skylarks were chasing each other and singing. A few red grouse were burbling away in the heather. A stoat shot across the path. Down by the cottage were as many as 10 pied wagtails. One of them looked like a male alba to me with clear cut black patch on head ending sharply at the neck-could that be right? There were no wheatears about in the usual places. 2 lapwings were doing their crazy elastic flight and there were a few curlew giving their plaintive call.

My favourite spot involves crossing a stream and water levels were highish so off with the shoes and over I went-unfortunately in a downward direction as I slipped on a stone and landed on my backside. I thought of heading back but stripped and put on my waterproof trousers(oh the feel of goretex on naked skin). And then things got better. A dipper showed of his underwater skills. The first of 10 stonechat was heard singing and chacking. Then I flushed a mountain hare from almost under my feet-remarkably it only moved 10 yards or so instead of disappearing over the horizon as they normally do. I managed to sneak up and get a picture(see below) of this lovely creature just starting to emerge from it's winter coat. And then 100 yards or so further on I heard a familiar scolding took-took call and there 50 yards away was my first ring ouzel of the year.Back down to the main valley and a second bird was seen up on a fence post(one rubbish distant shot attached).

From there I went on to Gosford Bay. For once the water was calm and I had the remarkable experience of seeing black necked grebe,2 red necked grebe, a great crested grebe and a slavonian grebe all in the same bay. There was also an impressive count of 42 red breasted mergansers long tailed ducks yodelling and common and velvet scoters. I even had the first 3 grebes in the scope at one time. A chiffchaff was singing in the trees behind the car park

A quick look at the scrapes at Musselburgh produced good views of the water pipit that has been around for some time. No sign today of the jack snipe that was present at the weekend

That made me so homesick - I'd even be happy to put up with a wet bum from the burn to be able to have been up there with you.

Lovely stuff.

Was it? Was it not?

The last week has seen me feeling a little subpar with a lingering cold. Yesterday I hadn't thought of going out birding as a snell north wind was blowing and it was only a few degrees above zero. My scope has been a bit hazy when viewing so I decided to give it a clean. This took a while and I let my daughter have a look up to the summit of Arthur's Seat from the front room to look at the walkers about a mile away. We looked over to Nether Hill to the south where few people go. Mhairi said she saw a blackbird- I had a look seeing nothing at first but it gradually dawned on me that I never see blackbirds on the hill at this height. I got on to the bird eventually-it turned and seemed to have a white neck patch-? ring ouzel -but just so frustratingly far away to be sure. And then it disappeared from view. So I set off up hill, coughing and spluttering and spent a frustraing hour seeing very little-and by this time lots of dog walkers and people were milling about. A nice male wheatear, 2 stonechats and lower down 6 chiffchaffs and a sand martin on duddingston Loch were scant consolation. I've just looked at Lothian Bird Reports and ring ouzels are seen on Arthur's Seat though usually a little later-would have been a good garden tick-will just have to put it down as a possible.

Still today a trip out to Midlothian produced wonderful views of 2 ravens performing in the wind-quarking away and doing somersaults and 360 turns up and down rock faces-they really are very,very wonderful birds

Osprey over Pathhead at about 2pm today, low over the road being harried by a selection of corvids. On a trip from the Highlands to Newcastle, I had three Ospreys today in three different counties, so not a bad Osprey day!!

4 Ring Ouzel in the Faseny Valley on Saturday as well as sightings of Wheatear,Dipper,Peregrine and Blackbird!

We also flushed a Woodcock, strange place it seems for this species on what is basically Grouse moorland but this is the second time I have had this species at this site, the last time was 2 birds a couple of years back. Also I spoke to a mate who say's he had one also that had been lost to a Peregrine.

A quick dart down to the coast at nearby Dunbar for a search of an Iceland Gull found by a couple of mates resulted in good views of a 3rd w bird.

Sunday, resulted in my first look at the Musselburgh Water Pipit, and much appreciated it was too in it's nearly complete summer plumage. I last saw a summer plumaged Wapit in the mountains of Armenia a couple of years back, with my last British sighting in this state at Minsmere around the start of the Falklands war in c1982 I seem to recall.

11 male Reed buntings altogether at Musselburgh , dead weird to see a flock of all the same sex. Like a bird stag party lol

White Stork in flooded fields by Frogston Road West,Fairmilehead,Edinburgh this morning at around 08.19, flew off north west at around 08.50.

A rather jammy find, and my best find whilst at work by far, although still kicking myself over an adult Rosy Starling that got away from me a few years back!B :)

White Stork in flooded fields by Frogston Road West,Fairmilehead,Edinburgh this morning at around 08.19, flew off north west at around 08.50.

A rather jammy find, and my best find whilst at work by far, although still kicking myself over an adult Rosy Starling that got away from me a few years back!B :)

Nice one Calum-well done-how many Lothian records are there?

Afternoon off, sunny in Einburgh and set off for the Lammermuirs to be met by 2 hours of rain, hail, sleet and snow. Little birding done!

This evening at a Baltic M'burgh 2 white wagtails, the water pipit(looking really good now) and about 20 sand martins

With south easterlies the last few days we set off down the coast in anticipation but was met by a raging north wind with a wind chill that cut you in half, great just what north bound migs need!

So no joy except the resident Snowy Owl at Skateraw;)

Saafield Pond had 8 Swallow and 50 Sand Martin's over it.

1st w Little Gull off Musselburgh river mouth.

Bugged by Ross's Goose

Yet again I see this goose listed in the RBA but its not even recognised by the BOU as a British Tick, I've seen these birds yet can't tick them. is everyone listing them in the hope ( like American Herring Gull and caspian Gull ) that they'll get full acceptance in the future, then we can all go ahhhhhhh Armchair tick i knew all along .
Ross's goose is as much use as a tick as the Sacred Ibis in Norfolk

Argggggghh

Ross's goose is as much use as a tick as the Sacred Ibis in Norfolk

I think through time this species will finally be accepted by the BOU, the BBRC have asked for descriptions of this species so opinions are perhaps changing!

I made sure I saw the recent Aberlady birds for insurance purposes, although I saw a bird do a circuit of Musselburgh river mouth with some Barnacle's one May day a few year's ago, before they headed off towards Greenland ;)

As for Sacred Ibe, well that's a different story!

Lothian today, there were approx 150 Grey Plover at midday today at the mouth of the river Esk, along with 3 Swallows, 37 Sandmartin and a lone Housemartin--my first for the year, on the Lagoons there were 2 Ringed Plover, and very little else of note , on the sea there were approx 30 Velvet Scoters and 5 Long Tailed Ducks . This eve a Peregrine flew thru the Esk mouth

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back