• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini Vacation- Part 1 (1 Viewer)

Great report Rich,as always.

The selection of alcohol plays a major part In your trips north but I notice you have never mentioned the popular Scottish drink,Buckfast..!

Well,popular If you are 14 to 17 years of age and want to spend a night In the local Police Cell or A+E..! I think Sars and yourself should just up sticks and move up here. ;)

Great report Rich,as always.

The selection of alcohol plays a major part In your trips north but I notice you have never mentioned the popular Scottish drink,Buckfast..!

Well,popular If you are 14 to 17 years of age and want to spend a night In the local Police Cell or A+E..! I think Sars and yourself should just up sticks and move up here. ;)
Thanks Ian. Alcohol consumption has greatly reduced now with the new laws. Obviously not in the evening but for the morning after.

Sars is having none of it - believe me I've tried:-C

Rich

After a much better night's sleep we left The Arch Inn. (A couple of Tysties seen on Loch Broom from the bedroom window) A quick stop at the road side café at Tarvie (I think) gave cracking bacon rolls.:eat:

As per usual we headed over the Farr mountain road. A few Red Grouse here and there as well a Kestrel. A very brief stop at the Findhorn Valley gave another Kestrel and a Buzzard (thanks for the confirmation Stuart/ Val). Shouldn't have worn shorts again today as it was freezing in the Findhorn. It actually snowed a little on the A9:eek!: on the way back to Inverness.

Car dropped off we settled down to wait for the flight. Having broken my glasses earlier in the trip I relied on Sars to read the distant screen. Hearing them give the last call for passengers to Bristol got me a little concerned. When I asked Sar she was insistent that it wasn't our plane but that we would be catching the next one to Bristol in half an hour!!!!!!! She genuinely thought there were two planes to Bristol within half an hour of each other - bless:-O

10 hour drive avoided followed by a smooth flight back and then a short hop back to South Wales. A thoroughly enjoyable trip:t:

Rich

The view of Loch Broom from The Arch Inn and practically the only blue sky we saw the whole trip:-O

Attachments

• IMAG0805 (1).jpg
    IMAG0805 (1).jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0784.jpg
    IMAG0784.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 24
The only mammals of the trip were Red and Roe Deer, Bunny, Grey Seal and Brown Hares at Bristol Airport. I'm pretty certain I also saw some sort of porpoise/ dolphin on the trip over to Handa.

Thoughts are already turning to next year's trip - maybe 4 nights in the Fort William area. This would allow a day on Mull; a day in Speyside and a flexible day. I'll keep you up to date with any plans Mr Nevis:t:

Rich

Outtake

I did say it was slippery on Handa!!o:D:smoke::-O Once Sars stopped laughing like a drain and taking pics she did help me up:-O

Attachments

• IMG-20150506-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20150506-WA0005.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back