• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azores (1 Viewer)

TWM

While in the Azores Whale watching I thought it would be a good idea to see the Bullfinch.
I got in touch with Gerby Michielson ( [email protected] ) and he took us out for the day. He took us straight to the Bullfinches and we ended up seeing a couple of dozen. He also took us to see breeding Roseate Terns and a Pied-billed Grebe. He picked us up at our hotel, provided a picnic lunch and returned us to the hotel for 65 euros. He also does Pelagic trips from the Azores but I don't know any details.
I highly recommend him if you are there (he is based on San Miguel), he can virtually guarantee Bullfinches and knows all the rarities on the island.

A couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1329 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1329 (Large).jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1346 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1346 (Large).jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 65
We saw Blue Whales (5), Fin Whales (6), Sei Whales (4), Sperm Whale (1) plus Common and Bottlenose Dolphins.
A Very successful week.
Plenty of Azorean Eiders!!

TWM,

When exactly were you in the Azores? Who did you go whale watching with? My biggest ambition is to see a blue whale, but I've dipped 6 times so far!

I was in the Azores myself last summer (Ponta Delgada and Horta), but never heard the joke about eiders. Please explain!

Allen

We saw Blue Whales (5), Fin Whales (6), Sei Whales (4), Sperm Whale (1) plus Common and Bottlenose Dolphins.
A Very successful week.
Plenty of Azorean Eiders!!

Not bad at all!

TWM,

When exactly were you in the Azores? Who did you go whale watching with? My biggest ambition is to see a blue whale, but I've dipped 6 times so far!

Same here, though I've only dipped about four times! My next opportunity to dip is this weekend...

Can't you go to California - in season, almost impossible to miss, no? Or have you already done so? :)

I've never been to the USA (or Mexico), or to Sri Lanka. I have also read that there is a good area for blue whales off the north of Iceland, but that is in July when I am carrying out my studies of (red-billed) choughs, if I'm lucky.

Stuart, good luck this weekend!

Allen

I've never been to the USA (or Mexico), or to Sri Lanka. I have also read that there is a good area for blue whales off the north of Iceland, but that is in July when I am carrying out my studies of (red-billed) choughs, if I'm lucky.

Stuart, good luck this weekend!

Allen

Not just July - we managed not to see them in May, when they were also quite gettable from land.

TWM,

I was in the Azores myself last summer (Ponta Delgada and Horta), but never heard the joke about eiders. Please explain!

Allen

I saw Blue Whale in Sri Lanka last year and I hate to say it but it was a bit of an anti-climax compared to the Orca that we saw nearby. You only see the tip of the iceberg in terms of the body, the most impressive bit is the tail as it dives but that was not too dramatic either. As for the 'blow' it was a bit like a wet f**t, the Orcas have the 'umph'you expect when they blow.

I saw Blue Whale in Sri Lanka last year and I hate to say it but it was a bit of an anti-climax c.

My first Blue Whales were too, but on second trip a couple of years later we found a pod of 12 lunge-feeding at the surface, this was unbelievable! And surrounded by mega seabirds too, and a couple of Humpbacks. One of best experiences of my travel days,

Blue Whales are best seen during May in the Azores. We went with Dolphin and Whale Connection, and the boats were Futurismo. We stayed in Ponta Delgarda.
I also saw Blue Whales near Svalbard in Mid-June a few years ago.
Flights to the Azores are pretty cheap with both Easyjet and Ryanair going.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back