• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Roger

I left about 2o'clock. John Caswell (Canon 7D with Canon 300mm F/2 and x2 Converter) was still in the hide though. I saw the Kingfisher flit past about 4 times without stopping. There was no sign of either the Water Rail or a Snipe while I was there... getting them both in the same frame is just bloody showing off!
I took a few other photos on what was a quite unremarkable day.

The bird worlds ASBOs coming in to land.

Someone said a few weeks ago that we don't give the Cormorants enough time. I think this shot shows them off as a quite visually attractive species.

A 2CY Herring Gull (which I admit I had to have confirmed). I have had my attention drawn to this site which must surely be one of the most authoritative sites for Northern hemisphere gulls.

Attachments

• CG1s.jpg
    CG1s.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Cormorant2.jpg
    Cormorant2.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Herring Gull.jpg
    Herring Gull.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi Laurie
re hedgerow At the flashes: last year we cut down to 3 feet a strip c 5 metres wide. This year it has sprouted in small pockets but has been dominated by the hops from adjacent areas of the hedge. What affect does hop have on the thorn bushes. ie does it smoother it and ultimately kill it...B :)John

While we're waiting for Laurie's input, John. I have an ornamental hop in the garden, it's deciduous and I can't imagine it ever being able to stifle the lfe out of anything. Admitedly the ornamental versions don't grow as vigorously as the normal hops. I suppose it might hinder berry eating birds getting to the fruit behind its Summer foliage though... anyway (if we're to believe local gossip, and let's face it, whoever lets facts get in the way of a good theory) it's Gert's fault that the hops are there in the first place - tipping his homebrew dregs all around the place! B :):smoke:;)

Last edited:
Roger what lens do you have

Canon 100-400. I've had it for about 3 years, they are reputed to be available in 'rather soft', 'sharp' and 'b****y sharp' versions. Still think mine may be a 'softish' copy but have never done anything about it because I suspect personal technique has a lot to do with it. :-C I have a 1.4 converter but has to be manually focused with that lens and I'm hopeless at that. I think most of the excellent kingfisher etc. photos taken from that hide are taken with 500mm and often with the addition of a converter too.

I am going to get a bridge camera with a 30 x mag..(fuji hs20 i think) do any of the photographers out there have any experience with them and do any of you use one.
I know Spoonbill finder and hairy birder have got Fuji hs10's and woodwolf has a canon SX30 anyone else got one and if so what do you think.
:t:John

My daughter in law has just got a bridge camera and has just returned from a couple of days safari in Kenya. Her pictures are excellent and apparently much admired by the DSLR users on the trip for the simple, no fuss results and the 'reach' of the zoom.

Roger

Curlews on a hot day

Not trying to compete with my cybershot digiscoped but just wanted to try a shot of a couple of Curlews in the recent hot spell

Attachments

• bird curlew55.jpg
    bird curlew55.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 61
Canon 100-400. I've had it for about 3 years, they are reputed to be available in 'rather soft', 'sharp' and 'b****y sharp' versions. Still think mine may be a 'softish' copy but have never done anything about it because I suspect personal technique has a lot to do with it. :-C I have a 1.4 converter but has to be manually focused with that lens and I'm hopeless at that. I think most of the excellent kingfisher etc. photos taken from that hide are taken with 500mm and often with the addition of a converter too.

My daughter in law has just got a bridge camera and has just returned from a couple of days safari in Kenya. Her pictures are excellent and apparently much admired by the DSLR users on the trip for the simple, no fuss results and the 'reach' of the zoom.

Roger
Hi Roger
what super zoom camera did your daughter use:t: John

Hi John,

I've checked the camera she bought and discovered it was not what I thought. It is a large compact (if that makes sense) Canon Powershot SX130 IS. Zoom is 'only' 12x giving I believe about an equivalent to 350mm focal length.
I guess a 30x zoom will give you a 'reach' better than us DSLR users. In fact off the top of my head that might give the equivalent of digiscoping. I'm just riffing a bit here and prepared to be shouted down, it's not really an area I've investigated. Hence mistaking a compact for a 'bridge' camera!
I look forward to seeing your results.
Roger

While we're waiting for Laurie's input, John. I have an ornamental hop in the garden, it's deciduous and I can't imagine it ever being able to stifle the lfe out of anything. Admitedly the ornamental versions don't grow as vigorously as the normal hops. I suppose it might hinder berry eating birds getting to the fruit behind its Summer foliage though... anyway (if we're to believe local gossip, and let's face it, whoever lets facts get in the way of a good theory) it's Gert's fault that the hops are there in the first place - tipping his homebrew dregs all around the place! B :):smoke:;)

I'll have you know that none of my ale gets tipped, other than down my neck 8-P
That reminds me, must get another brew on :t:

Hi John,

I've checked the camera she bought and discovered it was not what I thought. It is a large compact (if that makes sense) Canon Powershot SX130 IS. Zoom is 'only' 12x giving I believe about an equivalent to 350mm focal length.
I guess a 30x zoom will give you a 'reach' better than us DSLR users. In fact off the top of my head that might give the equivalent of digiscoping. I'm just riffing a bit here and prepared to be shouted down, it's not really an area I've investigated. Hence mistaking a compact for a 'bridge' camera!
I look forward to seeing your results.
Roger
Let you know when I get the camera :t:

Let you know when I get the camera :t:

John, I've been doing some research as I may get one myself. It's down to 2 for me, the Canon SX 40 and the Nikon P500. As I'm a Nikon man it will probably be that one and its also got a better wide angle , 22.5 compared to 24 for the Canon, but the telephoto is slighty less. The Fuji has a lower telephoto 720, compared to well over 800 for the other 2 and whilst its got 16 megapix, more is not necessarily always better. To be honest all 3 will do the job superbly, just depends how picky you want to be. We can have chat when I see you on Sunday . Cheers.

John, I've been doing some research as I may get one myself. It's down to 2 for me, the Canon SX 40 and the Nikon P500. As I'm a Nikon man it will probably be that one and its also got a better wide angle , 22.5 compared to 24 for the Canon, but the telephoto is slighty less. The Fuji has a lower telephoto 720, compared to well over 800 for the other 2 and whilst its got 16 megapix, more is not necessarily always better. To be honest all 3 will do the job superbly, just depends how picky you want to be. We can have chat when I see you on Sunday . Cheers.

Gert I am sure you would have researched it, but I came across this site, its got all the comparisons of different models.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm-HS20-vs-Nikon-P500
B :)see you Sunday.

non birding article - FISH

On my walk around the reserve yesterday with Paul M, he took me down the river salwarp towards the swan. Where the track narrows quite close to the river there is a hand rail, is a good place to watch 'fish'. They gather facing upstream and lie in wait for their food in the deeper water. It's something that I have never indulged in before but Paul being a keen fisherman pointed out the different species which included chub, minnow, perch and golden orfe. Walk really slowly and if the light is right , the reflection is minimal and good views with your bins should be possible. There are also other species that have been seen and in good numbers such as dace, gudgeon and others. It all adds to the interest of the reserve.
B :)John

Re Hops...........IMO it's never a problem ad only uses the host as support, not deriving any sustenance from whatever it clings on to and is a useful addition to the diversity of the hedge with regard to pollinating insects.......

Vermiculation - refers to the random pattern of lines sometimes seen on plumage, resembling worm-like trails - several species of owl have Vermiculated in their common names not to be confused with Vermillion which refers to the Red colour of some birds - Vermiculture, the cultivation of worms. Some of you will have Vermiculite in your houses as insulation material, this changes shape under heat and the grains assume a worm-like 'stretching'.

If you have eaten Vermicelli pasta it is thicker in diameter than spaghetti and means 'little worms'.

The weather looks good tda so somebody find something and i'll bost the piggy bank and get 3 quid;)

I will only be over the fields at West Hagley but you neve know.............

Good birding:t:

Oh if that RTRobin is found i'm up for a day in Norfolk, there's some good stuff aout:eek!:

Laurie -

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's photos on here. It's always interesting to get different views & impressions of the reserve. They are all good no matter what the camera or equipment used. Thanks all.

Work party at Flashes tomorrow

The impromptu work will start from 9.30ish at the Flashes
Anybody coming along to help meet at the 1st Flash hide to help take the tools and barrows down :t:

Apologies to anyone birding at the Flashes, but its a bit quiet anyway, well that's before we flush a goody hiding in the grass8-P

See you all TomorrowB :)John
ps I've got squash and biscuits sorted.
to reiterate the work will involve digging out the soft ditches in the central area and sluice basin. Shouldn't be too heavy and weather will be kind:t:

With all the recent discussion about cameras and photography, did anyone manage to get any images of today's pintail.;)

I just hope they're still around tomorrow. On our way back from dipping in Norfolk - only brief views of RFBT and YBW saved the day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back