• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (4 Viewers)

not much today no golden plover asked Nigel the foreman to remove buddleia top of islands, all done . Kev will be pleased.They will be done i think this friday its looking good now is our time to get involved.

14 golden plover am . Met with David Briton Steve Bailey and Nigel of Serle all done as far as contractors concerned land scape .Have a look this weekend but try not let dog walkers see you ie if we can they will. Meeting soon to arange tree planting and on going .

Two visits either side of lunch produced 117 Lapwing, 6 Snipe, 2 Green Sands, 2 Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 4 Skylark, 4+ Meadow Pipit. No sign of any Golden Plover, workings looking good & more accessible as track has been flattened just need some rain now!

John.

All sounds good, Rich. So is the meadow accessible again or is the Kiln still the best place to view from? Planning on taking a mate down there on Sunday to show him round. Also, I wasn't able to join the email group you invited me to, as I think I need to have a Hotmail address. Perhaps we could get use some other means to get a Tice's Meadow Bird Group off the ground?

Matt.

Matt.over weekend climb through fence on to bund and scan from there,then have a look where hides might be, i never said so did i but mind how you go. Kiln still a good spot 12 noon onwards because sun at the back of you.

Matt forgot to say any help setting up a tices birding site would be so welcome your thoughts are so important, i do need help.

83 Lapwing, 5 Snipe, Kestrel, Buzzard, 11 Skylark, Goldcrest, Chiffchaff, 4 Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, & Lesser Redpoll noted this morning. Unfortunately 2 dog walkers also in the meadow!

John.

A quiet trip this morning although I bumped into Graham and there were at least 4 birders on the periphery, one who had a scope. 3 Green Sandpipers present, 67 Lapwing, 4 Common Gull, several Meadow Pipits, 1 Reed Bunting calling from the reeds and at least 1 Chiffchaff in the same location. Must admit the place is looking good. Off to Papercourt for some more owling.

Last edited:
Two visits this morning with the first one shrouded in fog. The second was more productive with Gulls present (37 LBBs, 4 Common, 60+ Black-heads and a stunning adult Yellow-legged. Waders were represented by Snipe and 1 Green Sandpiper and a sizeable flock of Lesser Redpoll also present.

I guess you boys missed this one? Received today.

"One Short-eared Owl seen flying across the A31 at 07.15 this morning from the direction of Tice’s Meadow at SU8748, headed off along the telegraph lines to the south".

Cheers
Dave

Gents,

Short-eared Owl reported at 0715hrs, 21 Nov flying through Tice's and over the A31. Good news but shame none of the regulars saw it.

Rich

Quick visit this afternoon produced 84 Lapwing, 11+ Snipe, 2 Green Sandpipers, 5+ Skylark,calling Bullfinch, Sparrowhawk, & Buzzard. Gulls on the workings included 50+ Black Headed, 4 Common, 1 2w Herring, & 2 LBB.

John.

Quick visit to Tice's which produced a 1W Caspian Gull (confirmed when Rich H brought his Gull book along). Also add Yellow-legged Gull, 50+ LBB Gulls, 150+ Lapwing and 16 Linnets. A Peregrine was hunting as I arrived which initially moved everything off the workings. A GOOD DAY!

Also reported flying west at 1545hrs.

Last edited:
Quick visit to Tice's which produced a 1W Caspian Gull (confirmed when Rich H brought his Gull book along). Also add Yellow-legged Gull, 50+ LBB Gulls, 150+ Lapwing and 16 Linnets. A Peregrine was hunting as I arrived which initially moved everything off the workings. A GOOD DAY!

Also reported flying west at 1545hrs.

Any photos of this bird Rich?

Very quiet this morning, just 86 Lapwing, Snipe, Green Sandpiper, & 2 Lesser Redpoll noted.

John.

A bit more action during my later trip (11:00-13:00) with the bushes by the road absolutely teeming with finches, mostly Goldfinch, but a decent number of Redpoll and a couple of Siskin too. The large tree on the corner of the meadow had approx. 10 Fieldfare, 2 Redwing and a Mistle Thrush sat in it. Large number of gulls on the workings, mainly LBB and BH, with a couple of Common and a few Herring. Everything headed skyward around noon with the arrival of a Peregrine over the A31, which landed, bathed, and then hung about for around 30mins. Also of note were a couple each of Skylark and Linnet, 3+ Stock Dove, and a Reed Bunting.

Matt.

Highest count of Snipe so far this winter today - 41 birds flushed from the meadow! The 2 Green Sandpipers were again in the workings & look set to winter with us, 100+ Lapwing, Kestrel, Buzzard, & 20+ Meadow Pipit were also seen.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back