• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel scopes (1 Viewer)

Remote

Hi

I'm sure this a recurring subject on the forum, but I haven't found any mention/reviews of the Opticron MM3 or any of the newer travel scopes on the forums.

Can anyone offer any insight/ advice as to what would be a worthwhile investment/ upgrade for someone who already has an Opticron MM2?

The small size and lightweight are important factors for me as I'm usually on public transport.

Im hoping the larger objective lens of the MM3 60 will bring lighter clearer images when using the scope at the top end of magnification. The image quality drops off markedly at the top end, especially on darker days, with my current MM2.

Thanks

Thanks for these links Mono, but I cant find anyone on these threads who has upgraded from an MM2 to MM3. That's who I'm really looking for.

No doubt the MM3 is a good scope, but would I be paying £700 for a slight or a significant improvement on the MM2 I already own?

Remote,

I don't know of anyone that upgraded from an MM2 to an MM3. Keep in mind though that there was at least one or two compact spotting scope models introduced by Opticron between the MM2 and the MM3, the GS 52 and IS 50.

Looking back on some of the early posts in the Opticron spotting scope sub-forum I have read comments that suggest the MM2 was a good solid scope with respectable optics. However, I have also read comments that say it is "fine" as at travel scope but the optics don't compare with a 65 mm or an 80 mm model.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=6306

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=103835

I might also mention that it seems the MM2 was originally introduced without ED glass but it was later introduced in a revision of the scope. Which version do you own?

Here is a quote from Rob Laughton, an Opticron rep, about the difference between the MM2 ED and the GS 52 ED....

"I think you will find the GS52 ED's pro's far outweigh the MM2 ED's. Firstly the GS52 ED uses a 24mm telescope prism inside and has a twin-element ED objective lens, whereas the MM2 only uses a binocular prism and one ED element. Therefore you get a far better light transmisson and a brighter image through the GS52 ED.....

* A 30% wider FOV.
* Sharper and better contrasting.
* Closer focus 2.5m on GS52 ED/ 3m on MM2 ED.
* As you stated the GS52 ED is WP & Nitrogen Filled.
* Guarantee: GS52 ED 30years/ MM2 ED 10years.
* The GS52 ED has a rotating tripod sleeve, usefull for when viewing from hides or inside cars.

"

My reasoning for mentioning this is simply that I have compared the GS 52 ED with the MM3 ED extensively. The MM3 50 ED offers a subtly sharper and brighter image in comparison to th GS 52 plus it does so in a lighter, more streamlined design. All of the other benefits of the GS 52 over the MM2 can be applied to the MM3 as well.

Last edited:
Hi Frank

Thanks for your thoughts. So in summary...you think I'd be better of considering a GS 52 than an MM3?

Its the MM3 60 Im considering by the way, which I presume will give me at least some improvements over the GS 52?

Hi Frank

Thanks for your thoughts. So in summary...you think I'd be better of considering a GS 52 than an MM3?

Its the MM3 60 Im considering by the way, which I presume will give me at least some improvements over the GS 52?

I read Frank's post to say that everything the GS 52 improves over the MM2 is at least as improved and sometimes better in the MM3 50.

For a travel scope I chose the MM3 50. I am very comfortable with that choice.

There is a mm3 60 thread that can give you some comparisons of that model to the 50 mm model.

Niels

I read Frank's post to say that everything the GS 52 improves over the MM2 is at least as improved and sometimes better in the MM3 50.

Niels

Yes, that is what I was saying. The improvements in design would be incremental going from M2 to M2 ED to GS 52 to MM3.

Since the 60 mm MM3 was mentioned the same comments can be applied but with an ever so slightly brighter image and a slightly higher magnification range.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice guys.

Took the plunge and bought an MM3 60 with the SDL V2 eyepiece. Very happy with the purchase. Seems like a big step up from the MM2 in terms of both image quality and build.

Here's the thing on upgrading from a super-grade MM2 or MM3:

The size on the barrel goes up, but if you push for more power the bulk of the tripod suddenly explodes.
Vibration effect of the wind goes up with power and with barrel length...the frequency lowers with weight
AND length, the tripod hums...ugh.

I've seen so many great pics here from MM3 owners.
They have to stay fairly close, though. An indirect consequence of being portable.
50-60mm is the last stop, almost, for the easy traveler.
It's like the old adage, "white man build big fire sit far away, indian build little fire sit close".
80mm would be great......but not if you use it for more power.
Big in the suitcase, for sure!

Last edited:
A direct link to the interesting comparison published by Binomania:
http://www.binomania.it/ode-ai-cinq...scopi-terrestri-da-50-millimetri-di-diametro/

Most likely you still need to change the language to English. But it's worthwhile to look at this post. I have the Nikon 50 which I can use with either the MCII zoom eyepiece or the fixed 30x wide angle one. As I had both eyepieces already, that was the way to go at the time. But I just ordered a Minox MD50 for my daughter's family. Via Amazon.de, there has been a price for a new straight version that I could hardly believe. Maybe because "everybody" wants the angled version these days? (The angled version is almost 150 Euros more expensive than the straight one.)

It will be interesting to compare the two types myself. The Minox comes with a fixed zoom eyepiece which probably makes it a bit more waterproof.

Last edited:
........... The angled version is almost 150 Euros more expensive than the straight one.

It's puzzling that the price of the straight model is now higher than the angled one. In essence, when I bought it in early August, I got it for less than half price compared to now. To be more specific, the price was just 46 percent of what it is now. So I guess I was right at the time when I considered the price as "an offer I could not refuse". 3:) It's hard to comprehend how such prices are calculated.

Last edited:
I upgraded from an MM2 to a GS52 and it's definitely an improvement image-wise, and a much more robust scope. The only downsize, I suppose, is that it's around 300 grams heavier, though that doesn't really bother me and size-wise it's very compact packed into luggage.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back