• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (2 Viewers)

Getting Looserthan I wanted......think Ill try to add some detail at the end.....sorry for the bad pictures - lights starting to fade now

DSCN1628.JPG DSCN1629.JPG

coming along nicely - the trick will be now to only put detail where it's needed, don't paint more on to what is finished already. Btw - I'm crap at following my own advice - and often regret working things too much.

DSCN1630.JPG
Not the end result that I wanted, too many errors along the way - Rushed ground work, too heavy pencil lines, possibly too big, should have kept it a smaller sketch, not enought paint mixed at one time, should have done both wings at the same time., to big a brush etc etc......but yes I know its only paper.....

For ID, might have been a Juv Herring Gull against somthing alot smaller, snack was a chip from the beach..................

Looks like a b-h gull getting the better (or should that be batter) of a nice McCain defrostie in full view of a 1st cal herring gull - see, ID can be interesting Andy! I think this is a cracking piece of work, really quite special.

Just a little somthing for the weekend......Thought best to keep busy before I dissapear for a short Holliday to darkest deepest Cornwall....Hopefully come back with some sketching and colour work, But cant guarentee itll be Wildlife....still, all good practice for bigger and better things...

aDSCN1640.jpg
Turnstone, Juv Gull, Avocet and Shelduck

Not very seasonal I know, but needed somthing quick to have another practice scribble before I leave....So I delved into my stock photo folder and found the ole favorite - Avo's doing somthing spring time.....

DSCN1641.JPG

Two weeks away, And looks like Ive some Thread reading to catch up on.....managed to set aside some sketching time, but where it was too busy with people or I couldnt find a comfy spot to settle, I managed to get some (very) rough scribbles and a few photos to work from....I mainly settled on sketching the granite hedges and gate posts as they are so proliffic in Cornwall, but also managed to get some really great photos of male and female Kestrals hunting from a Sea Stack which I was drawing at the time. - it started off as a sketch but ended up as a detailed drawing instead.....
aDSCN1727.jpg
I even managed to get a few shots of the female devouring a small rodent...which will become an interesting sketch later if Im brave enough, hunkered down out of the wind in amongst the gorse......

Will post the sketches elsewhere on the forum, as theres no wildlife involved.....

A solo trip, as Woodie is elsewhere this weekend....so a chance to re visit some of my ole haunts, through which I used to cycle many years ago when I was a lot younger (and fitter - Stop laughing at the back.....).
I was trying to find my elusive favorite - Fungi, but they seemed to be hiding still.....So made do with a fine ole farm gate, which sadly someone had backed their car into.....
Ive been posting a few sketches on the other 'Artwork' thread, so as not to upset the wildlife art police too much, but am slowly gearing meyself up for a sketch of one of my Kestrel Photos from the Holliday break in Cornwall, just a matter of clearing my mind and finding that big bullet to bite into

Group Huddle

Last weekend was more Autumnal in weather, with a much freasher wind about. The scrape was quite empty and devoid of almost anything in range, a few sheld ducks drifting and snacking, but nothing inrange for the sketch pad...
A quick change of 'Box', found a few hundred little birds huddled out of the wind on the bank of the dyke. Mostly looked like Knot, which promptly took to the air following a Harrier scare......What returned included Widgeon who promptly took up space and went to sleep..... So this quick colour sketch from one of only a few decent photos

group huddle.jpg

Were due some Heavy rain tomorrow, so might be a drive out and back....

Wip

Yep, Thanx Arthur, still enjoying the journey (and the evening Classes - although havnt got onto wildlife yet - still playing with Skies and trees). Just thought as today was a bit wild wet and windy, Id have a go at some cheeky Sparrows....
This is the first 'Work in Progress' of a few I have in mind, but will be taking my time over them instead of trying to get it all done in five minutes.....
a.jpg

Last edited:
Colleen - Still to do, but I need to find that hugh bullet to bite first....its the fear of bird subject and scenic view combination, Masters like Tim, Mike and others here have no fear, Im still in their shadows by a long way...

Great start to the sparrow pic Andrew. If you followed the photo closely, the shape of the bill on the bird that doesn't have its head tucked in, may suggest merganser sp. ? Whatever - it's a really nice composition.

Hi Andrew, I have really enjoyed reading through your thread. I feel as though I have been on an incredible journey.
It is brilliant to see how far you have progressed :) I confess to admiring your looser work the best (personal preferences creaping in there) and I really enjoyed seeing some of your renditions of one of my most favourite places ~ the southernmost tip of Cornwall. Logans Rock and Mousehole brought a big smile to my face, seems a while since I was on Treen cliff.

A day off

Friday was a day off from work, and a day out with my Father.....A bit of a long overdue father/son bonding session, a day out to a small place near us, called Wildwoods.(www.wildwoodtrust.org) which has a conservation background. One of their projects at the moment is the potential release of Beavers into the open spaces...
Although it was a grey and dismal start to the day, the place was devoid of too many children, which ment we were able to have a quiet time observing the different animals there....and taking lots of pictures
a page from the sketch book of the day

DSCN1788.JPG

After a meal in Whitstable, we went on to Oare, but was too crowded with Twitchers and Dog walkers alike.......so a short day out and home

I presume these sketches are from photo reference Andrew? Just look at how far you've come is such a short time! Textures and form, clever use of values and a beautifully composed sheet - really rather gorgeous, indeed. On the other hand, if these are from life - then it's time to start taking your own classes!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back