• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

You really went to town on the shrike didn't you! Loads of brilliantly observed information. I think though what impresses me most is the way that your sketching is always so assured, you have the uncanny ability to see a line, shape etc and draw it as seen without any fannying around trying to find the right one. I just love to see that in action.

Mike

totally agree and love the shrike pic.

The Shrike painting is one of the best I've seen by you. I love the way the Swallowtail turns under the Shrike! The detail of the French 'scape. The colours are inspiringly happy and dancing. It is a work I am delighted by on all levels.
The sketches are amazing. The Wryneck is subtle, shady and furtive!

Magnificent!!!

Wow! Just seen the shrike studies and I'm blown away! Mike's right on the money: in my mind this is how field sketching should be done. Taxonomy aside, this reminds me of the Southern Grey study in Lars Jonsson's Birds extravaganza. Awesome.

Russ

more works of brilliance here. The obvious intensity wtih which yoy were studying that funny shrike really shows through, yu've encorporated a huge amount of detail and it somehow has managed to do the impossible. Do Justice to the astute fieldwork you treated us too before!

That Wryneck is also quite a lot better now, IMHO, although I thought it was really good before anyway.

sketches zooming over the top, paintings a delight as usual, wry is now done and solved IMO....but the little thing I love most is throwaway lines of what looks like swans....Nobody dances with a pencil better than you Nick!

Nick,

On opening the "Collins" tonight, the page fell open on "Iberian Grey Shrike."
Penny dropped. Your portrayal here I saw in the Collins bird.
I really do think Southern Grey had a hand in one half of this "mystery shrike.."

Here we go again! B :)

PS That Swallowtail! Seen them in Polska. Brought back sweet memories! :t:

Looked again at it.

Severe pruning of vines, forming letters? I can make words here!

The "bole" of the tree has some "gold leaf", and is a focal point. Gaudi-esque!?

Special and decorative.

This has more to it than I thought!

Yawning Lizard/Toad?

I see it all!

How did you do this, and dupe me?

Amazing!

We've had confirmation from France's authority on hybrid shrikes that it is a straightforward Woodchat x Red-backed (apparently - and not sure how you become an authority on such a rare event) This would make sense as Woodchat is a very rare sporadic breeder in the area and Red-backed is common. Southern Grey has never been recorded - though does look superficially like our bird. Also, Ornithos magazine has a nice article on a hybrid RB x Woodchat that was raised in France last year - I wonder if it's the same bird! It is really hard to see anything other than a grey shrike in there though - hence the bird being thought of as a lesser grey (for a few minutes).

Vines??? No, they are all words, though thinking they're vines makes them stand out less, almost as little as the little sods that were saying them deep from the cover of the barley.

Not at work till later today so I've decided we're going to make or break our little JYNX! After stubbornly repeating the same composition 4 times, I think now I want a larger and horizontal format to try and get some of the windy leaves in. AND I'm using reference material so I don't end up just 'faffing' around with green - we're going to go in, do the business and get out in time for tea.

I'll try and do a work in progress - as a reason to not mess with it while it dries!

Attachments

• DSCF6049.JPG
    DSCF6049.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • small020.jpg
    small020.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 47
some watercolour on - using hooker's green mixed with alizarin where I want it to recede and cadmium yellow where I want it to come forward - thanks to Colleen for pointing out this better way of looking at warm and cold colours - what a mess I used to get in mixing blue everywhere in my greens! (Let's see what a different mess we can get into here!)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 41
nice to be looking over your shoulder Nick esp. as it's a miserable day here. the sea mist is in. watching the house spugs on the lupins some interesting shapes .

done - cropping out the top and bottom as they're not required (and a close up) wasn't tempted to fiddle the bird - but the background has been a little overdone.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
agree Nick it was very close, could have been left, but still room to go further, I know you can completely trust that feeling you work from until you bring it home....if you overwork, no one will be able to tell, as you always keep a freshness in your work. If you really go over the mark , well that's a learning experience too, like calibrating a cannon.

here's how he ended up - lucky for the picture I had to go to work, which meant leaving it and deciding it was finished whgen I got home. Otherwise I'm sure this one would have been totally destroyed.

One of these days I'll manage to do a watercolour again!

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back