• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

making the most of a large gap between lessons yesterday:

also a photo of the area - the place has been quite extensively developed - the crisis slowed that down a little though! Most of the tree sparrows and cirl buntings have gone, but two pairs of shrike are clinging on.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
  • copytemis.jpg
    copytemis.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 46
Wow Nick, see lots of these birds, rarely though have I seen them so well captured as you have managed here. These make me want to get out sketching, though stuck in work for another ten days. These are almost a window to the outside world, near cruelty in fact, feel free to get out there and post more agony;)

and while we're on shrikes - the hybrid from last month is paired with a female red-backed that seems to be on a nest! Will be interesting to see the outcome of that one!

Wow Nick, see lots of these birds, rarely though have I seen them so well captured as you have managed here. These make me want to get out sketching, though stuck in work for another ten days. These are almost a window to the outside world, near cruelty in fact, feel free to get out there and post more agony;)

What more can you say? They make you want to just drop everything and head out. You've made extremely good use of the time between lessons.

Great sketches Nick. It's tough to see a favorite birding area/bird habitat changed (trashed) by development. But remember, your sketches and paintings will keep the area alive in your memory and certainly always entertain we BF viewers.

Graet to see the shrikes again, Nick. More superb studies. As for the waggies, Phil's right, it seems a legendary figure may have inspired you somewhere along the line!

Russ

just popping in to drop off these two chats before I rush off to work (and arrive late!)

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 46
in the first one it seems like the little bird is in a very big and overpowering world.....almost lonely...but that probably the colors...each work moving in its own way.

.. before I rush off to work (and arrive late!)[/QUOTE

A ,man after my own heart. Life is just too important to spend some of it getting to work on time, though I realize many have no choice in the matter. Fortunately most of my jobs have not bothered me about being late as long as I worked hard when I got there.

As Mike said these are delicious looking. Given all of our 90 degree days here that first cool blue one is particularly delicious.

Coincidentally, thinking across-threads to the new 'tatoo related' thread - I suggested that Melissa looks to some of the great art posted on the forum. I wonder just how much food for thought this particular thread serves up for prospective end-users - fabric designers, book-jacket designers, stained glass manufacturers, publishers and, of course, the rest of us painter-types who are lucky enough to get this finest of fare presented directy to our desktops!

yay! the shrikes have teenagers! two fledglings! one per family - with perhaps more hiding nearby. Plus plenty of ringlets, a marbled white or two and some rather bleached melodious warblers (but still yellowy so I'm not thinking olivaceous (unless olivaceous does a little call like a lesser whitethroat!) will post sketches when I get home!

good old Xeno-canto - typical melodious alarm call.

Last edited:
here are the shrikes - mostly the young ones - also a melodious warbler and some notes on what ringlets look like when they move too fast.

Attachments

• baby shrikes 025.JPG
    baby shrikes 025.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 38
  • baby shrikes 026.JPG
    baby shrikes 026.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • baby shrikes 028.JPG
    baby shrikes 028.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 37
  • baby shrikes 029.JPG
    baby shrikes 029.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 48
  • baby shrikes 030.JPG
    baby shrikes 030.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back