• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

Congrats to Aberdeen on their 4-0 drubbing of Copenhagen. It's a long time since the Dons gave me anything to cheer about. Now Aberdeen can boast not only a pair of king eiders and the occasional purple sandpiper, but a football team as well.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

And the small matter of Bayern Munich in the next round - must be the biggest game for the Dons in a long while.

Not quite as icy as yesterday but I managed to get some pictures of the River Dee from Victoria Bridge. It's currently 13 degrees C colder in Aboyne, around 30 miles upstream, than in Aberdeen, so that explains the ice.

Attachments

• Icy River Dee 211207a.jpg
    Icy River Dee 211207a.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Icy River Dee 211207b.jpg
    Icy River Dee 211207b.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 141
I can vouch for that. Minus 5 C at lunch time today, but not a breath of wind. Went out and took some macro shots of frosty vegetation, and some of the birds on the feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_4871.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 126
Here are the same bits of the River Dee today, showing what -12 upstream can do. It wasn't too cold here in Aberdeen though.

Attachments

• Icy River Dee 221207a.jpg
    Icy River Dee 221207a.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Icy River Dee 221207b.jpg
    Icy River Dee 221207b.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 98
Most of the ice on the river had gone today but it still felt cold in the fresh wind. I took a wander round the Ness early in the afternoon, which at this time of year is 'late in the day'. Something I'm sure you'll all be delighted about is that once more the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser has moved on to:

A nice round number, I think you'll agree. All were roosting up on the old pier with the high tide but only four red colour rings could be seen. Maybe that shows a bit of a movement of birds through the area.

We've not had particularly cold weather here in Aberdeen but some of the ground was still frozen and this prompted a Robin to feed right down on the strand line on the north shore.

A single Bottle-nosed Dolphin was swimming into the harbour. I thought it was quite strange that it was on its own and reckoned there must be a few others in the area. Sure enough four more were frolicking with great enthusiasm in the heavy seas off the foghorn. I also noticed a single Harbour Porpoise appearing occasionally through the swell. It seemed to be keeping its distance from the dolphins. A rather forlorn looking young seal was stranded up on the rocks at the eastern end of Greyhope Bay.

The 'Royal' Eiders, as Dr G calls our two King Eiders, were off the foghorn. They were quite distant at first and rather aloof from the Common Eiders but then they reappeared just off the jetty later on. A large flock of gulls, most of them Common Gulls, were feeding five hundred metres or so offshore. A single Fulmar was gliding amongst them, the first I've seen for a month or more. More surprising still, I caught sight briefly of a Manx Shearwater attempting to head south into the wind. It disappeared for a bit but then reappeared much closer in to the shore. This was a move it soon regretted as it began to receive unwelcome attention from a squadron of large gulls, keen to remind it of where a Manx Shearwater should be at this time of year. Eventually it got the message and escaped to the open seas. It's much the latest date in the year that I've ever seen a Manxie. There were also at least 3 Kittiwakes around - again a species I've not seen for a while.

This will probably be the last report from Torry for 2007, at least from me. I'm off 'doon sooth' tomorrow but will be back home in the New Year. I'm wondering what I'm going to miss over the next week. So long as it's not another Eider species, I'll probably cope.

good report as usual Andrew. Nice to know what I've been missing this past week. Today is a bit milder up the valley, and I was sent into the garden to dig up some leeks. Not having a pneumatic drill, I had to give up. We'll have Christmas lunch when the permafrost thaws.

Happy Christmas, and a successful new year to you all who read this fascinating, informative, humorous and entertaining thread, and I just hope the Royals hang around until 2008. I don't think I've ever managed to tick the same individuals two years running.

Ken

good report as usual Andrew. Nice to know what I've been missing this past week. Today is a bit milder up the valley, and I was sent into the garden to dig up some leeks. Not having a pneumatic drill, I had to give up. We'll have Christmas lunch when the permafrost thaws.

Happy Christmas, and a successful new year to you all who read this fascinating, informative, humorous and entertaining thread, and I just hope the Royals hang around until 2008. I don't think I've ever managed to tick the same individuals two years running.

Ken

Cheers Ken - have a wonderful Christmas yourself. And keep up the good work on your own excellent website!

Right, time to go down the ness then Andrew! Hope you're not going too far south.....it'll be a long drive back for that spectacled eider!

Merry christmas!

Those are the chaps. If you can also avoid seeing any Harlequins over the next week or so then that would be great!

You can see some good stuff, obviously, just not those ones.

BAblikondstraumond_9.jpg

This is what to look for chaps.

Compliments of the season to everybody in the Torry gang. Thanks for bringing back many childhood memories.

With best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

"Merry Christmas" to everyone,from a 100% Torry Loon born and bred and still living in the "Royal Burgh of Torry".

Both the "King and Queen" are still in residence,this morning.If you are going for a look,wrap up well,as its freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back