• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandhill Cranes on the move! (1 Viewer)

dacol

The Sandhill Cranes that wintered around this part of Florida took advantage of the warm weather and the southern winds on the last 2 days (3-4/02/2014) to start their long migration towards their breeding grounds. This video shows the largest flock that I saw on these two days flying over my neighborhood in Gainesville.

Nice! It's interesting to see the general congregating shift into more line-like formations. Thanks for posting this.

You can see the spiraling motion of a large part of the cranes using a thermal convection cell (essentially air warmed by the ground rising to high elevations) to gain altitude. Once they reach the top of the cell, where the rising air mass has lost enough heat to stop the rising the birds arrange themselves in formation and take off with a tail wind.

I sort of saw that (noted them going back and forth), but forgot that they would be using thermals to gain altitude.

Interesting that they are off already - I guess they are taking it in stages. Things north are still pretty wet and cold!

Things north are still pretty wet and cold!

Yep, looks like they didn't get the groundhog's memo! Of course they take off based on the time of the year and the local weather, stimulated by hormones but guided by the accumulated experience of the flock. It is sobering to remember that each one of those cranes did its first migration guided by their parents, an unbroken chain reaching deep into the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back