• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby or Merlin description only Northumberland UK (1 Viewer)

Adam W

I know I'll never know for sure what it was but I saw a small Falcon near Wooler today a bit distant and no bins but I am quite certain it was either a Hobby or a Merlin(too small and slim for Peregrine,too short tailed for Kestrel etc and I regulary see both those species there) both Hobby and Merlin are possible as I've seen and photographed both in the exact same spot before but Hobby would be a lot more unusual.

The thing that got me thinking Hobby was the fact it was pursuing a Hirundine with great agility and speed but also at a good hight (maybe 100 yards or so up) and this continued for several minuets, I have seen how fast and agile Merlin can be but don't remember seeing them do it for lengthy periods or up a hight it always seem to be quick chases close to the ground that I've witnessed.

So the question is does anyone know if that sounds like normal Merlin behaviour as it's something I'd normally expect to see or associate with Hobby.

I can't tell from the description, but I imagine on range alone Merlin would be rather more likely than Hobby in the North-East.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back