• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

I have no idea what kind of bird this is. Looked like a chick. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Bird On The Porch_DSCF01282.jpg
    Bird On The Porch_DSCF01282.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 97
It's a Brown Creeper, Gordon, and looks like it has just struck a window. Is it still able to fly?

Cool! Never heard of that species, so a new one for the list.

I think you solved the mystery of where it came from, Peter. No doubt it hit the large window of the back door which was above where I found it. When I first saw it, I thought it was dead, but it slowly became active and did eventually fly off, so a small bird and not a chick after all.

Thanks very much for the ID.

Okay, I'm glad it survived. These are one of our more numerous - but also, stealthiest - small bird species; thousands migrating back to Ontario every day, this time of year, but mostly unseen.

(Waaaay too early in the year for anything songbirdish to be hatching around here, by the way...)

Okay, I'm glad it survived. These are one of our more numerous - but also, stealthiest - small bird species; thousands migrating back to Ontario every day, this time of year, but mostly unseen.

If you know their call, you'll find they're actually quite vocal and relatively easy to find. They winter in our local park, and I can often find 4-5 of them on a given morning.

Not now, however. They've moved north.

If you know their call, you'll find they're actually quite vocal and relatively easy to find. They winter in our local park, and I can often find 4-5 of them on a given morning.

Not now, however. They've moved north.

My interest in birds is a fairly recent thing, so if I had seen this before I'd have no doubt figured it was just another sparrow. This time however, I got a close enough look that its curved bill clued me in. Interesting bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back