• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

plants (1 Viewer)

which plants produce the most nectar? iam in ohio

also if using the store bought red soulution for feeders does it need to be replaced as often as our sugar water made at thome?

Last edited:
I don't know which plants produce the most nectar, but my hummers (and visiting Ruby Throateds) like fuchsias very much, and also enjoy Peruvian Lillies, Geraniums, and Columbines. They occasionally drink from perwinkles and lavender, and seem to ignore roses all together. I'm not mentioning other flowers that you probably don't have in Ohio!

The red colored nectar mix is generally not recommended. The food coloring is unnecessary and harmful to the birds (see the thread on whether to boil sugar water for a link to more information). It's far more expensive than preparing your own nectar at home. In either case, you need to change the nectar frequently enough to prevent its getting moldy or dirty; but with time you'll find that it's not a matter of how often you change the nectar as when you have to refill it. My hummers now empty 2 2-cup feeders in 2-3 days!

Helen

Fuchsias, Salvia, Texas Sage (mine love the sage) ;)

Also, if your hummers are not draining the feeders quickly, it doesn't pay to fill them up to capacity. Especially in the hot weather. I fill mine about a third of the way but change out ever 2 days.

Listen to Helen when it comes to artificially colored humming bird nectar ;)

iam lookin for perennials that like sun that hummers like, also the couple hummers i saw when i first put my feeder out have not been back in 2 weeks

It can take a while for the hummers to find the feeder and get used to using them. I just got a new species last week after more than 18 months of having the feeders up!

When I put mine up (just one at first) I immediately got Ruby-Throateds (it was fall migration time) but no locals, and after the Rubies passed through I got nothing for months and months. I kept it filled and clean but no go. Then I moved the feeder - just a couple of meters from where it was before - and immediately they started to show up. Since then I have gotten a steadily increasing stream of visits from both locals and migrating Rubies in the fall.

This has been a very strange year for my hummers. Normally, I have at least a half-dozen clashing with each other. This year, only a male and female.

i hear lantana is good for hummers i found the confetti version is this a good 1 to get? and will it do well in a basket?

Red hot Sally (salvia) is this good for hummers?

Yes, you're right about the salvia. There are a few varieties they like.
Agastache - hummingbird mint is another sort of plant to look for.
Monarda is a big fave.
Honey suckle ditto.
I've read that trumpet vine - Campsis is another fave.
i did a short search and found this list,
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/forthebirds/a/hummingbirds.htm
try googling and there will be more......
I don't remember what likes to grow where you are!

Nasturtiums are great too as well as Buddlea.
Those are some of the favourites around here.
How did I forget to mention fuchsia! there it is

Oh, Hot Lips salvia is a BiG hit too.

Oh yes, ditto on ditching that red poison stuff. Use sugar water.
I have tons of plants and they still like to top up on syrup, especially at bed time and 1st thing a.m. They spend a lot of time eating bugs too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back