• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Buzzard (1 Viewer)

T. Keith Bruce

Keen Photographer and Bird Novice.
Recently heard of from very good sources and saw a poor picture of what was described as a white buzzard. Has anyone any experience of these birds, are they extremely rare, albino, or what are they referred too? any info would be much appreciated. I've been looking out for it for several days now but to date no sightings or pics. The bird in the photo looked like an adult bird and I was able to get a fix on where the photo was taken and where from. Although the pic was very poor quality, it was a very big bird, i.e. buzzard size and definitely predomantly white in colour, no yellowness or light brown but white. Any info would help a relative novice.

many thanks

T. Keith Bruce

A couple of years ago I was driving out of Leamington Spa and about to join the M40 when a bird that i first took to be an Osprey came into view. It wasn't long before I realised that it was an almost white Buzzard.

I hadn't seen that bird before and I certainly haven't seen it since.

I have seen many pale morph birds but never one as light as this one.

White buzzard

T. Keith Bruce said:
Recently heard of from very good sources and saw a poor picture of what was described as a white buzzard. Has anyone any experience of these birds, are they extremely rare, albino, or what are they referred too? any info would be much appreciated. I've been looking out for it for several days now but to date no sightings or pics. The bird in the photo looked like an adult bird and I was able to get a fix on where the photo was taken and where from. Although the pic was very poor quality, it was a very big bird, i.e. buzzard size and definitely predomantly white in colour, no yellowness or light brown but white. Any info would help a relative novice.

many thanks

T. Keith Bruce

There's no chance of it being a white kite? There is one in Wales.

There's probably more than one white kite in Wales, June ;)!

For the last 5-6 years, there has been an almost completely white Common Buzzard in Gwent (the only two non-white feathers are in the secondaries in the right wing), it doesn't get reported very often but I've had it fly over me calling at about 100 feet up!

One of our other Members, Michael Frankis, recalls seeing an almost pure white one in Denmark http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=55865&postcount=26

Cheers,

Andy.

There used to be a film of an 'albino buzzard' taken in Perthshire in 2002 up on the web, but it now appears to have been removed. The particular individual was at first mistaken for possible Gyr Falcon and even Little Egret (when perched). From seeing the video myself a couple of years ago I remember that it appeared almost competely white.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back