• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Gull ? (1 Viewer)

osprey0311

Hello!
Help, please, with ID :

Attachments

• DSC06408.jpg
    DSC06408.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC06409.jpg
    DSC06409.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC06411.jpg
    DSC06411.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 50
Mind you the thumbnails seem to show blindingly obvious pale inner primaries, just don't seem so obvious when I open them... :) Gulls really aren't my forte!

I think if anything, given the range and the extent of the pale inner primaries that I'd go with Phil's suggestion of Yellow-legged rather than Herring, but looking forward to finding out what the concensus is as I really need to start paying a bit of attention to large gulls :)

Its hard to tell the size the bird from this photo but I personally would put this down as a lesser black backed gull too

it has the face of a dark caspian male. bill is best for this sp.
and it has venetian blind in inner primes.
underside is really (uniformly) dark for cachinnans but some juv can look unexpectedly dark. look on my website under 1st winter cachs. heuglini would be fresher, barabensis can be dark and is hard to be excluded but also hard to be proven. i tend to exclude barabensis on the tiny pale tongue on underside of p 10 which is a good pointer for cachinanns, rarely in other sp.
so, if not, cachinnans remains the default bird and first choice here. maybe more if i'm back from lanzarote.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back