• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope advice £200-£300 (1 Viewer)

shadowx

I've googled my brains out but most results for a similar search give results from 2005 or earlier, 10 years is a long time in optics so I wanted a fresh opinion.

Currently I have a set of 8x viking binoculars (which are great, only cost about £70 too) and I also have an Opticron Mighty Midget V2 (non ED) which is sadly scratched. I don't use a scope massively often so I've set a budget of something like £2-300, cheaper is better but quality is also important. Weight isn't too much of an issue but optics are.

I've seen a few contenders but haven't had a chance to look through any yet.
One is the RSPB AG80 or 60. I will hopefully have a chance to try one out this Sunday. My main concerns are that the RSPB bump the price up so I can probably get a better scope for the money and that it's not ED.

Another is a Helios Fieldmaster, just noticed the ED version: FIELDMASTER-ED60DS, any thoughts? It looks really good actually, my only concern is the fixed in eyepiece, I understand it can't be removed/swapped? And I think I'd rather a non-zoom eye piece for better quality.

Apart from those two are there any makes/models I should really look out for? Keeping in mind my budget? I might be able to sell my Opticron HDF eyepiece for £70 quid, maybe £100 if I get lucky but I'm not too keen to spend too much as I might only use it once a month or so. I also want to try some digiscoping, got a nice Canon 5d MkII and it'd be nice to get some good shots with it.

Any makes, models or dealers to check out would be great. Had a look but not found many dealerships in Essex to try out scopes!

I must admit I have no experience with their scopes but Barr & Stroud are a pretty reliable budget brand. I have a very cheap pair of their bins and they were certainly good value.

Acuter are another brand I have seen advertising low-cost scopes but I can't comment on the quality.

I started with an Acuter scope, after returning the Barr & Stroud because of the very tunnel like view, which cost £115 which was good value and upgraded to the original Celestron Regal F-ED which has a good supplied zoom and also takes astro eyepieces. The Regal F-ED with a Baader Hyperion eyepiece gives a wide 68 degree fov, crisp clear optics and won't break the bank. If you search this forum you will see glowing reports from people using them. The Baader 13mm gives 30x on the 65mm and the 17mm gives 28.5x on the 80mm.
A quick google search shows WEX selling a s/hand Regal 80mm F-ED for £281.00 and Sherwoods still have the 65 and 80 new at £345 and £440. The newer Celestron Regal M2 is quite a lot more money, but is a little lighter and quicker dual focuser, but optically I think it is the same.
Hope this helps

Les

Cheers for that everyone. Looked at the regal on wex and decided to buy it! Got that and a second hand tripod on their way. Hoping to get it Monday morning though its missing the eye cup so ill have to source one of those but quite excited now! Cheers.

Cheers for that everyone. Looked at the regal on wex and decided to buy it! Got that and a second hand tripod on their way. Hoping to get it Monday morning though its missing the eye cup so ill have to source one of those but quite excited now! Cheers.

Nice choice shadowx and when you have sold your Opticron HDF eyepiece a 17mm Baader eyepiece will give you excellent views.

Looking at the photo on WEX it's only missing the screw on end cover to the metal protective zoom eyepiece cover that you remove to operate the zoom. You only need to cut some plastic and tape it over the end of the tube or tape a small plastic pot, the kind you most probably have in the kitchen cupboard, over the end.

Les

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back