• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x40 Too Big? (1 Viewer)

I prefer the smaller sized binocs. I suggest you try a friend's 8x40 for say an hour around your neck to see if it gets too heavy. I think it also depends on how often you go birding. I notice that if I haven't done it in awhile, my neck/shoulders get sore - i.e. I get out of shape for birding and binoc-wearing!

I've got 8x40 Leicas they are about the heaviest 8x40 but I don't really notice because they are beautifully balanced in use. Other makes are lighter and more compact, so they may suit you better. The extra brightness you get with the larger objectives justifies the bulk for me.

Pete

I have Oly 8 x 25, Canon 8 x 25IS and Swift 828HHS 8.5 x 44.

What I choose to carry around depends on where I'm going.

For a planned birding outing, 8.5 x 44 since best resolution, brightest image, longer eye relief. After a trip or two out, you get accustomed to the weight.

For a handy car binoculars, the Oly 8 x 25 since it's cheap, I won't cry if it's stolen, and it's small with a very good image.

For 'covered' birding with non-birders, the Swift for me and the Canon 8 x 25 IS for others since the latter counters shake which is very difficult to control unless you are accustomed to using binoculars.

The 8x40 yields a 5 mm exit pupil which is ideal for eye alignment. In fact the 8x40 may be the overall best binocular for almost any hand held use. It is also very bright. It is really an orphan in today's optics. Yellowstone.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back