• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping - preferred tripod head? (1 Viewer)

talladur

Hi digiscopers,

I currently have a Markins M-10 with Arca-Swiss plate for usage with my Nikon 200-400. I will buy a kowa TSN-884 for digiscoping in the next weeks.
What kind of setup would you recommend for digiscoping: the Markins ballhead, a gimbal head, a video fluid head ...?

Thanks in advance,

Matthias

Good Tripod and head for digiscoping with TSN Kowa 883

Hi Matthias,

I don't have an answer to your problem - I have the same problem! I've got Kowa 88mm scope and I'm looking for the right tripod head tripod. I'm tempted to buy a Benro carbon tripod - like getting a good Gitzo for half the price, but I don't know about heads. So if anyone has a reply to Matthias or I, much appreciated. Is it worth it to pay extra and get a Gimbal head? Does anyone know if the Swarovski FH101 would fit on the Benro S series tripods?

Cheers,
Keith Fisher (Flying Fish)

Gitzo G2180 head with the long slide bar option. CF tripod of your choice. I use an Induro C314.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• DSC_2535 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_2535 (640x426).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 493
I have a video head (Manfrotto HD501), a ball head (Benro KS-1) and a Gimbal (Jobu Jr). They are all good quality products, very smooth and quite stable.

However, I much prefer the video head for digiscoping because of the handle. I find it easier to control. A digiscoping setup is quite big and heavy. One hand must be on the focus control of the scope at all times. I use the other hand to control movement and I have a remote shutter attached to the handle. It works well for me.

Another head I have is the one that comes with a light Velbon tripod. It is a video head and the handle rotates to lock it. Neat ! Unfortunately it is not sturdy enough for digiscoping.

I have 2 x Manfrotto 501, and as Jules says, I prefer the video head for digiscoping . I also use mine with the D3 plus 500/4 too but you have to be a bit careful about the balance. Neil.

I have been testing various heads and I still prefer a Gimbal head for shooting with a long lens - be it a scope or a long tele. I dont need to faff around with any knobs - I simply hold the scope and the camera as I would for shooting, point it where I need to and it stays there. Couldnt be any simpler.

I use a Gitzo 1548 tripod (equiv to current 5-series) and a Wimberley, along with a Wimberley long-lens plate. Works like a charm.

Vandit

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 055V tripod and a Manfrotto 701RC2 Fluid Video Head that I have used with my Vortex Spotting Scope from the first day I bought them. However, since getting a DSLR and a 400mm lens, I bought a Wimberly Sidekick head to use for photography. I use the Sidekick with a Kirk BH-1 ballhead. Just yesterday I started using the Sidekick with my scope as well. I used it late yesterday afternoon at the Owl Vigil that closed the Cumberland County, NJ Winter Eagle Festival. It worked very well. I did not digiscope using the setup yet, but for normal viewing it worked fine. I may need to get a longer Wimberly quick-release plate for the scope so that I can balance the assembly properly. I'll have to experiment first before I spend the money. So, so far so good. FWIW, the 701 also worked well for both viewing and digiscoping. But I want a solution for both my DSLR+400mm lens setup and my spotting scope + digiscoping setup. Hope this help you somewhat in making your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back