• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (2 Viewers)

sometimes the sheer joy of destroying a picture that just isn't coming together releases the block and allows the inspiration to come back all fresh and flowing. I thought it was coming on ok - but you're the boss!

I understand you Colleen....I've already :gn:

I liked the image....and so ..I´M looking for your next fabulous work

greetings Gaby

sometimes the sheer joy of destroying a picture that just isn't coming together releases the block and allows the inspiration to come back all fresh and flowing. I thought it was coming on ok - but you're the boss!
yes destruction is freeing Nick....sort of feels like I did in my divorce...it seemed like a good idea at the start, but not worth beating myself up over when it just doesnt work out....much better to move on...

I'm cleaning out my life of stuff, getting it down to the least I can, just to make things simpler, I came across this, one of the few pen and Inks I've ever done, it reminded me I' have had an interest in birds I forgot about...dated 1979 probably before some of you were born...I'm sure I did this from one of my photos, as I seldom worked from life at that time...

Attachments

• pen and ink goose.jpg
    pen and ink goose.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 53
very very nice, just a little before I was born, you've caught that expression beautifully and there is a good solid form to it to which shows your meticulous and critical approach to what you do - it does lack of course all these things that come to you so naturally now, since you've been with us here, that greater understanding and knowledge of what goes into a bird. You're certainly better at the pen and inks than I am , this is a beautifully unfussy study full of tonal range.

thanks NIck, have to admit I was surprised to find it, I stopped wildlife and realism shortly after this and did not return to it until 2004

1979 probably before some of you were born...:-O:-O I do not count it, I was already...;)

but I didn`t draw like you :t:

greetings Gaby

Yes - I was about 2, I think :-O :-O :-O
Beautiful drawing with enough white paper showing to let the eye flick around. Much better than anything I've ever done ink-wise, too.

OK, enough with the agism here, folks! :-O;)

As motivation, I keep trying to think about how many artists were creating great pieces into their 80's. Of course, they had already spent a lifetime learning by then, and I just started three years ago...sigh!

I do try to joke about getting old (I'm 61 next month, so not 'that' old - 'old' is always relative to my age, I've found). And here's a good one that happened last year in college.

I took a full load of college art classes last year at a community college with an excellent art program in our area. There were some other 'non-traditional' students like me in the program, but of course most were late teens and twenty-somethings. I got to be good friends with a number of them going through multiple classes with them, and since my wife and I never had kids, it was easy for me to think of myself as just another one of them. So at the end of the last quarter, a few of us students were sitting around and one of the young gals (my study buddy from art history class) asked me what classes I was going to take in the summer quarter. I said none because summer is the busy season for my band, and then I told her and the other young 'uns who were there, "Gee, I'll really miss you guys since I won't be in class.!" To which the gal said, "Aww, John, that's sweet, we'll miss you too! You're like the class grandfather!"

OOOOhhhh, reality set in and I laughed heartily and said, "Could I at least get promoted to being just the class father instead of grandfather?!" She then realized what she'd said and tried to backpedal...but I thought it was really funny. And true, of course, so how could one take offense? :-O

Ennion and Tunnicliffe were working well into their late seventies - Bateman and Busby are still at it and both are octogenarians. You're just a spring chicken, John!!!!

I prefer to be referred to as a spring Sage Grouse, thank you...:-O!
Although I guess spring Prairie Chicken would work ok as well!

Hi Colleen,
I have to comment on the Canada! Love it, love it! You may have gathered I'm a bit of a b and w fan, and it's something I've started to explore. Someone of your experience can gain much pleasure from teaching art peasants like me! Can I ask what pen, ink and paper combo you used please? I'm all ears!

Kind regards

Russ

Russ, as I said one of the few ink and pen I've ever done...the only thing I ever used was a croquill dip pen and india ink, done on a piece of smooth matt board....I'm sure the real pen and ink people can help you more...

thanks Arthur...

What a great day, my first time out sketching birds in 8 months I was so amazed to find my skills still working, as well as ever, ( course they are not at the high levels of some here to start with;)) It helped they were in large outdoor avaries but very free and moving...scarlet ibis and Flamingos very quick sketches of about 5 min for each page. Haven't drawn them before. Watercolor added at home

Attachments

• flamingo sketch.jpg
    flamingo sketch.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 45
  • scarlet ibis.jpg
    scarlet ibis.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 48
this is what I've been doing the last 8 months, I'm really starting to get the hang of seascapes now...this is a study from one of the most dangerous beaches in California Duncan's landing, I did a few scribbles perched on a rock watching the big surf, and took photos...I'm working out the problems of the surf and rocks in different lights. this one is a clear day late sun.

Attachments

• duncan's landing study rework_4133.jpg
    duncan's landing study rework_4133.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back