• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First "Birding Day" (1 Viewer)

I got back from my vacation a couple of weeks ago and had occasion to take some photos of loons and an eagel. I guess it got me going because I joined this forum. I liked the photos but had wished I had been better equipped.

I purchased some new lenses and they arrived Friday. I tested them around the house and had to put them away due to pouring rain on Saturday. This morning I got a chance to use them.

I headed off to the local wildlife area and came up empty. Very few birds around for some reason. I took a few shots and left for another location. A couple of ponds and marshes later I headed home. On the way I stopped by a small 3 or 4 acre farm pond that I have walking past for over five years.

For the first time in my experience there was a Great Blue Heron on the far end. I observed him for over an hour. Wading, in flight and fishing. He and I finally hit it big. He caught a very large Chain Pickeral. I watched the whole thing from start to swallow (whole).

BTW. I have photos of the entire session and they are excellent! :clap:

Hi Art -

Well you are smack bang in one of the best areas for birding in CT. You have a load of good sites near you the NW hills are very productive for generally more northerly breeding birds and those requiring less fragmented woodland. White Memorial in Litchfield (probably one of the states best birding areas at any time of year breeding alder flycatchers, blackburnian warbers etc), River Rd in Kent (one of the best migrant areas in spring also breeding cerulean, golden-wing warblers and arcadian flycatchers), The Audubon society preserve in Sharon - the list goes on and on.

I'd start at white memorial if you haven't tried it yet - Luke

Hi Art machine:
welcome to BF you didn't see as many birds as you would have liked because it's summer.It's the slow season.Being in Conn puts you smack dab on the Atlantic flyway for fall and spring.Keep practicing and be ready for the flood of birds.The Snow geese will be a treat.
Sam

Sam,

That part of CT should be fine at this time of year - good for spring, breeders and fall - quieter in winter but still good possibilities of winter finches (if they move) also rb nuthatch etc - the site I mentioned is about as good as it gets away from coastal CT and birds are on the move as we speak (although not in big numbers yet). Also you'd do best to look up for Snow Geese as they are mainly seen in CT as flyovers - not generally seen in great numbers stopping over in CT.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back