• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Hi, Is it possible someone could pass on the details of the Great White Egret seen in Norwich recently? Havnt heard too much about it, but if its somewhere accessible i was thinking of paying it a trip.

Don't know anything about the Norwich bird, but if you're travelling from Bedforshire, there's a closer bird at Pymoor in Cambridgshire, near Ely. It has been there for a while now.

GWE
the Norwich bird was only seen for a few minutes and was not relocated. There aren't any others in Norfolk (that I am aware of!) so Sims suggestion seems the best

I havnt corrected my location, i'm from bedfordshire but currently at UEA in norwich. I was just interested to see where abouts in norwich it was seen if anyone knows? It may not be there now but i'm trying to find out more about good areas to visit around norwich. Thanks for your replies.

Steffan

I was just wondering what ideal weather is in Spring (for rares). In autumn its a high pressure over scandanavia, a low pressure over the north sea and easterly winds etc. But what is it for Spring migration times - assuming its different...?

good question, there are similarities but also because birds are generally flying from the south different patterns occur.
The main rarity month is definitely May and the rarities generally turn up towards the end of the month, most of the common migrants have arrived in Apirl and the first week of May. 'Overshooting' (Med Birds) is something that only happpens in Spring, birds such as RR Swallow, Alpine Swift, Subalpine Warbler, Woodchat, RF Falcon summer in the Med but if you get SE winds they fly past their breeding areas and end up further north. Overshooting migrants generally turn up on clear days with light SE's. Also worth checking whats happening around the country, when i lived down south, Pom Skuas would usually move in SE winds but we knew that if Poms were moving there was a good chance of overshoots. So if theres good seabird passage further south start checking usual Norfolk sites for rares. (Incidentally i'd really recommend a week down in Sussex or Dungeness checking what can be stunning seawatching, with chance of overshoot - Dunge is a great bird obs, when early May in Norfolk can be quite quiet). I'd argue Kent, Sussex, Dorset and Cornwall generally get more overshoots than East Anglia because of their south facing location, and always a bit of mystery how stuff like Subalpine Warblers end up at Blakeney because of its North facing aspect. Because common migrants have generally arrived by May, May can be scary, very few birds but the ones that are about are scarce or rare so keep at it and don't be put off by stuff arriving at places that seem like they are just round the corner.

Got to go but would will talk about Scandanavian rares that turn up later in the month in another post, generally find get a bit bogged down in pressure charts but if anyone wants to discuss those it be welcome.

Nights drawing out now, not long til Spring

Last edited:
I havnt corrected my location, i'm from bedfordshire but currently at UEA in norwich. I was just interested to see where abouts in norwich it was seen if anyone knows? It may not be there now but i'm trying to find out more about good areas to visit around norwich. Thanks for your replies.

Steffan

It was reported from near Keswick Mill, which is the other side of the railway line from Marston Marshes, and around the area of Eaton Common.

If you are looking for some places to go around Norwich, have a look at the fringe project website: http://www.norwichfringeproject.co.uk/sitesmap.html

From UEA you can walk behind the broad to Cringleford & Eaton, and you can then walk along Marston Lane to Eaton Common and Marston Marshes (9 and 10 on the map).

Around Norwich I'd also recommend Whitlingham CP, Rosary Cemetery/Lion Wood and Bowthorpe Marshes as decent places to visit.

James

BB Dipped .... again!

True to form, I spent much of the day NOT refinding the BB Dipper! Perhaps it'll be 13th time lucky next time? I hope so coz otherwise they'll be carting me off to the funny farm soon...

In case anyone's going to have a wander in search of it, this might be of use. I walked from Hunworth on the minor road to Thornage and the following bits were accessible
Hunworth - the ford east of the village on the minor road to Edgefield.
The bridge by the village green near the pub, which was one of the places it was seen last week.
Just past the houses on the northern edge of the village, there's a track on the right down to the next ford.
The next ford along, opposite the lane to the church looks a private track to a house.
Further north where the old railway line crosses the road is a short access track by the pumping station.
The track opposite Beck Farm is a permissive path, and there's a small ford just north of Beck Farm actually on the minor road.

Also checked the bridge on the B1110 Thornage to Holt Road, just past Mill Farm.

Didn't go into Thornage village itself so would welcome any info on what the river does there and if it's worth checking.

The stretch of road between the B1110 towards Thornage Common and Letheringsett also runs alongside viewable stretches.

Letheringsett - checked all the spots between here and Glandford mentioned in my previous post, plus the bit I forgot last time, the lane behind the church in Letheringsett which leads to a footbridge.

I'm sure I've missed some other potential bits... that little bugger's out there somewhere!

Irene

Irene,
thanks for the text and sorry that I didn't join you in the 'hunt' today (was Connor with you?) I did check the Letheringsett Ford area birefly on Friday morning, so our dipping tally is still definitely on the increase!

Spent a few successful hours out in your neck of the woods!

At last I have seen the Dipper, after 19 attempts!

Well done! Was beginning to wonder if you would ever get it!
Irene - well done for checking so many places, shame you didn't get it - good luck and keep trying though!
Pomskua - thanks for your reply - most interesting and very helpful
Cheers :t:
Sim

Saturday 24th January

Arrived at RSPB Lakenheath just after 9am - freezing cold, but sunny. I have not been to Lakenheath for a while and was surprised by all the fantastic work they have been doing - as you approach the main viewing bank (directly north of carpark) there is now a sandy coloured gravel path that weaves around ponds and seats all the way to the 'flash'! and back round in amongst the trees/bushes back to the carpark. I had brilliant views of the Caspian Gull in amongst hundreds of others!! along with Yellow Leg Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Great Black backed gulls, common gulls, black headed gulls and a couple of Great Crested Grebes. The Great Great Shrike was sitting in a tree on the Norfolk side of the river;)!!! Around the reserve I heard bearded tits, saw a pair of stonechats, kestrel, a Kingfisher and back by the visitor centre (which incidentally was closed, which I was surprised by on a Saturday) 5 Lesser Redpolls (Suffolk side!) were feeding on the alders by the pond. I walked back round to the flash where I bumped into BF Ivan and friend Scott and we went along to have another look at the Caspian Gull. Ivan and Scott were then going to look for the Rough Legged Buzzard at Coveney, Cambs and the Great White Egret at Pymoor so I followed them to save me looking on the map! Thanks to Ivan's sharp eyes we had a brief view of the Rough Legged Buzzard (2.45pm) along with a common buzzard sitting in a tree and a whole tree full of yellowhammers! On route to Pymoor Ivan spotted a Merlin (3pm) going over the fields which we all saw along with 5 Whooper Swans flying over. At the railway bridge we did not have any luck with the Great White Egret, but had a massive flock of Fieldfares and a few Redwings in the fields below the embankment along with goldeneyes and whooper swans etc etc. I moved on to Welney where I saw several White Fronted Geese and Tundra Bean Geese, along with a stock dove, 3 reed buntings and a barn owl and obviously loads of whooper swans, mute swans, pochard and my 2nd merlin (4.30pm) of the day. First class day's birding.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Today Sunday 25th January

Early birthday present - yessssssssss, the Black Bellied Dipper:t: at 12.15pm. I was going out birding anyway this morning, but couldn't decide where to go, it was raining when I got up and then I realised it was really too late to go over to Salthouse to see the Glaucous Gull (work this pm) and was going to stay local but when the pager bleeped up 'Black Bellied Dipper at Little Thornage Ford', the car just zipped up the A148;), parked the car on the verge and there were only half a dozen people there including BF Ruralchill (thank you:t:). The sight of seeing the dipper flicking about in the water and swimming across and bathing was a magical sight I will never forget. I phoned my friend Pete and told him to 'get down here now' (he has already dipped it about 10 times!) and luckily he got there just in time before it bolted like a bullet out of gun and shot under the bridge at a massive speed. I got some out of focus, distant record shots in the rain. BF Ivan and Scott also turned up just in time to see it before it disappeared. Several of us then went to Natural Surroundings at Glandford to see if there were any redpolls etc, but apart from a party of long tailed tits, great and blue tits there wasn't much else. I left to go back to King's Lynn and just managed to fit in Flitcham to see a single Tree Sparrow at Abbey Farm along with good numbers of Bramblings and chaffinches sitting on the bushes along the road adjacent to the hide - I could also see the Little Owl sitting on the oak tree from the farm gate down the road.

One of the best weekends, winter birding I have had!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
BB Dipper

sorry that I didn't join you in the 'hunt' today (was Connor with you?) I did check the Letheringsett Ford area birefly on Friday morning, so our dipping tally is still definitely on the increase!

Unfortunately, the Killdeer good luck talisman wasn't with me! Delighted to hear yesterday that you finally caught up with the Dipper though.

I'm intrigued to know if anyone has heard it singing yet? As both sexes do sing, I just wondered.

Given that 'our' Dippers that have moved back onto territory by now will be singing by now, I wondered if the continental migrants would be doing the same? Or do they wait till they're back on their territories before they start a-warbling? This is also me clutching at straws hoping the little blighter will perhaps give its position away one day while it's hiding just out of sight around a corner...

Irene

A walk from Thornham harbour east on the path just south of the Lifeboat Inn produced 4 Beardies, a Sparrowhawk which flushed 6 Snipe, plus a 'tucking' Cetti which eventually revealed itself.

Then c30 Twite at Brancaster Staithe harbour, on the saltmarsh just off the coastal path heading towards Burnham Deepdale.

Irene

more spring migration

the second part of rarities in May occurs in the last couple of weeks and especially concentrated from 25th onwards. If you get N or esp NE or E'lies with frets or rain = classic fall conditions. Scandanavian birds get blown across to the West and the main rares include, GH Wag, Icterine Warbler, Marsh Warbler, RT Pipit, RB Shrike, Rosefinch, Thrush Nightingale. Last year after strong NE there was a really murky day with light NE and showers in the afternoon. Yorkshire got the main hit but we had a fall of Marsh, Icky, RBS. However it was a real 'blink and you've missed it fall' most stuff - certainly from my area was gone the next day although carried on arriving further north. Think thats another difference between Spring and Autumn can be frustrating in that stuff stops off and sometimes sings for a few hours before disappearing for good.

June can also be good esp first week with a whole hotch potch of left over common migrants and rares and its round this time that the real megas can occur.

the second part of rarities in May occurs in the last couple of weeks and especially concentrated from 25th onwards. If you get N or esp NE or E'lies with frets or rain = classic fall conditions. Scandanavian birds get blown across to the West and the main rares include, GH Wag, Icterine Warbler, Marsh Warbler, RT Pipit, RB Shrike, Rosefinch, Thrush Nightingale. Last year after strong NE there was a really murky day with light NE and showers in the afternoon. Yorkshire got the main hit but we had a fall of Marsh, Icky, RBS. However it was a real 'blink and you've missed it fall' most stuff - certainly from my area was gone the next day although carried on arriving further north. Think thats another difference between Spring and Autumn can be frustrating in that stuff stops off and sometimes sings for a few hours before disappearing for good.

June can also be good esp first week with a whole hotch potch of left over common migrants and rares and its round this time that the real megas can occur.

Thanks again for this valuable information as I won't be able to be in the field as much now James has gone to uni, so I want to make the most of each birding trip...
I remember last Spring's fall very well - got 2 Ickys at Holme along with a Nightingale (sadly not thrush!) and some other common migrants. Lets hope for a repeat this year...B :)

Spring migration

there are similarities but also because birds are generally flying from the south different patterns occur.

Hi Sim and Pom,
I'm probably late to the party on this subject so apologies if it's been discussed many times before, but it's one of my favourite subjects - wind! I'm sadly obsessed with pressure charts and love discussing migration.

Sim, if you can get hold of a copy, Birds and Weather by Stephen Moss is full of pearls of wisdom on the subject of spring overshoots and spring drift migration (as well autumn migration). And the Birds of Norfolk (by Moss Taylor et al) has a section on what factors influence Norfolk arrivals in particular.

Just as a couple of examples:
Mid May '92 - a high to the east and a low out in the Atlantic produced long range south easterly winds and some places were knee deep in RF Falcons.

Mid May '85 - a Bluethroat arrival in easterlies on the northern edge of a low pressure off the E. Anglian coast. Or May '87 when a high to the north of the UK also let in Bluethroats on easterlies.

Although a low pressure to the south of us can also halt the arrival of migrants, as can a high pressure too far to the west of the UK which results in northerly blocking winds. And, conversely, once those northerlies or the low pressure gives way, it opens the floodgates for good numbers of spring migrants. Although, as Pom says, unlike the more leisurely southward progression in autumn, they're in a hurry and you've got to be quick.

Roll on the spring.
Irene

Thanks Irene for your input. It's very helpful and lets hope we get some decent weather patterns again this Spring. I will keep an eye out for those books.
Indeed, roll on spring!!!

Just a few snippets of news from a trip along the coast today.

The Ross's Goose was between Holkham and Burnham Overy Staithe late afternoon, initially feeding in the sugarbeet field on the north side of the A149 by the parking area for the track down to B.O dunes, then flew on to the freshmarsh at dusk.

The Black Brant was still with the Brent flock on Titchwell freshmarsh, along with the Water Pipit still on the islands there, and 2 Velvet Scoter off Hunstanton.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back