• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows nesting on porch light?! (1 Viewer)

Misty28

Hello everyone!
New member here - I joined for some much needed advice. Last night I discovered a pair of barn swallows on top of my porch pendant light. They weren't in a mud nest (yet), but just side by side (albeit a bit cramped) on top of it. The thing is it is a pendant light with a cord from the ceiling & I am concerned in case they try & have babies up there. Wouldn't it be just too precarious for them, it being a 360 degree 'drop' for them? I live a Welsh cottage & you really have to duck to get in the front door & so these birds are just over our heads! We are thrilled to have such wonderful 'guests' but obviously would like to think the whole thing won't be a disaster... Also are we best using the back door if any babies arrive? Many thanks in advance to anyone with any advice!

Welcome to the Forums!

Should be OK. The most important point is to switch the light off at the mains, so that there's no risk of the birds being electrocuted (by pushing wet nest-building mud into the socket) or overheated (from the heat of the bulb). If they haven't started building yet, then perhaps provide an alternative ledge for them to build on nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back