• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Black-headed Gull. (1 Viewer)

crapbirder

Black-headed Gull, Larus ridibundus - seen on 26 December 2016 at Salthouse, Norfolk, UK.

I've seen and reported a few ringed gulls in my time but nothing like this and any suggestions as to how I might trace the origin of this bird gratefully accepted.

Attachments

• DSC_3900-002 copy.jpg
    DSC_3900-002 copy.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 71
Unfortunately, not without the full number. The ring is extremely worn, so it must be a very old bird - I'd guess at least 20+ years.

Unfortunately, not without the full number. The ring is extremely worn, so it must be a very old bird - I'd guess at least 20+ years.

Many thanks for your response.

Certainly a full adult bird so could well be the age you suggest. The ring looks as if it was meant to be over-lapped rather than butted so could be further indication of the passage of time since this bird was ringed.

Attachments

• DSC_3898-001.jpg
    DSC_3898-001.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 44
Reading up a bit, I'd suspect it's because it's an aluminium ring, rather then incoloy or steel - softer metal which wears more quickly. Interesting article here:
http://gull-research.org/papers/papers8/Black-headed_Gull_33years_DB_2014_249-252.pdf

Again my thanks for your response and providing the link, most informative.

I freely admit to not considering we might be looking at an aluminium-magnesium alloy ring here. While not fully conversant with the requirements of every Euring member scheme (always assuming this ring is from a registered scheme), I have the impression that the use of Incoloy or stainless steel rings for gulls and other relevant species has been mandatory for many years.

I have the impression that the use of Incoloy or stainless steel rings for gulls and other relevant species has been mandatory for many years.

That's why I thought it might be over 20 years - but clearly some places were still using aluminium at least as of 2006. Perhaps old stock held by a ringer who doesn't do many gulls??

Intriguing information from a colleague who keeps extensive records of marked birds of all species seen in the Cley, Norfolk area.

Right leg; metal ring no. 6186226, Riksmuseum, Stockholm. Ring dull and very worn particularly the top of the 86.
Ringed 22/6/00 as a nestling at Soederhamn, Haelsingland, E Sweden (61 19N 17 10E). Seen:-Salthouse duck pond 3-8/3/10(last number not seen), 9/2/15 and 14/1/16.

My colleague further reports the ring was missing extensive semi-circular portions of both the upper and lower circumference and the full number difficult to read due to erosion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back