• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

Yes, the grey tongue on P10 looks pretty short for the left bird - IMHO somewhere between typical micha and typical cachi. But the shape of the bill and the iris and the leg colors look all good for cachi.

I have got details of that green rung bird back from the ringer and it is from a new Polish Caspian colony, established about 3years. The parentage is not confirmed but the colony is 90% Caspian so this bird is likely at the dark end of the scale.

In addition this other green rung 3rd year bird is from a predominantly argentatus colony but with mixed pairs of Casps, to me it shows mixed characters but again the parentage is unknown.

Attachments

• 190211 - Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip Green 70P3 WEB 239.JPG
    190211 - Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip Green 70P3 WEB 239.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 190211 - Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip Green 70P3 WEB 263.JPG
    190211 - Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip Green 70P3 WEB 263.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
hi,

the 1st cycle is what i'd accept within variation of caspian concerning head striation, but it might well indicate some HG ancestry.

the 3rd cycle definitely looks like a bastard. more like a herring gull actually.

nice overview shot, cristian. however, to puzzle them apart we'd need a larger pic or details of this...:gh:
i'm eagerly curious what chris and cris will discover in the next days on the icy surfaces of those bucharest lakes ...;)

On February 25th they discovered a 3cy graellsi LBBG and a ringed adult Caspian Gull among hundreds of Black-headed, Common, Caspian, and Yellow-legged Gulls.

Had this beast of a 2CY Glaucous Gull at my regular landfill site roost yesterday.It`s been around for a month or so but showed well yday.It`s amazingly pale and lacks the usual vermiculations, so may well be of the form "leucerectes" which originates in Greenland.Also 2 Casps and an Iceland Gull there.View attachment 310265.

Last edited:
Another possible hybird Cachinnansxmichahellis?

Note the rather michahellis like head, eye and heavy blunt tipped bill but the more cachinnans like scaps, wing coverts, long legs and 'hanging' rear belly.

This was a large bird so could be a male cachinnans showing a more michie type head and bill profile.

Also nice 3CY Casp locally

Attachments

• 021311 - Yellow-legged Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 128.JPG
    021311 - Yellow-legged Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 128.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 61
  • 022611 Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip WEB 112.JPG
    022611 Caspian Gull 3rd winter Pitsea Tip WEB 112.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 63
Yet another oddity: it stood out from the graellsii as being very long legged, large and bulky (like marinus) with a grey upper tone unlike either and with a stonking bill.

Just an extreme graellsii, pretty sure not, possible marinusxgraellsii, gut feeling....

Attachments

• 022611 - Larus sp, Ptsea Tip WEB 014.JPG
    022611 - Larus sp, Ptsea Tip WEB 014.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 63
Another possible hybird Cachinnansxmichahellis?

Note the rather michahellis like head, eye and heavy blunt tipped bill but the more cachinnans like scaps, wing coverts, long legs and 'hanging' rear belly.

This was a large bird so could be a male cachinnans showing a more michie type head and bill profile.

Also nice 3CY Casp locally

hi steve,

male casps can have a suprisingly large and angular head, together with a large eye and some more head striation this can indeed provoke a mich feel to them. bill is absolute ok for male cachinnans. i have many pics with large eyed caspians and many with stronger striation than usual. to my eyes there is nothing to indicate a hybrid in this bird. GC and scaps are very typical for cach as is structure. criatian's pic of a male from yesterday http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=310420&d=1298751646 also has a large eye, though much less striation around eye.

the second bird surely is a 4cy?

gg (good gulling)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back