• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

Hi all, for anyone planning to view the gulls around York. The owner at Rufforth has asked for no further access to the airfield. He says this is due to poor parking and trespass although I think it's more due to the increased numbers of birders lately. Regardless the police will be called now for anyone on the Airfield, so best to view the gulls from Poppleton from now on.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this question in, but it seems to be an appropriate one.

I have a friend from Taiwan who will visit the Yorkshire coast (Filey/Bempton/Flamborough etc) early next month and will have a few days to spend birding in that area (or perhaps slightly further afield). Aside from the obvious (Bempton for Puffins, Filey for Purple Sands (does it still get them?)), what spots would you guys recommend a birder from overseas visit? As most birds in the UK will be new anyway, where would be best to go for a reasonably high day total? (I'm thinking more inland foresty spots than coastal migranty spots.)

As I haven't been in Yorkshire now for a great many years, I have no idea what it might look like these days ('int it full of Bee-Eaters by now?).

Many thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Steve

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this question in, but it seems to be an appropriate one.

I have a friend from Taiwan who will visit the Yorkshire coast (Filey/Bempton/Flamborough etc) early next month and will have a few days to spend birding in that area (or perhaps slightly further afield). Aside from the obvious (Bempton for Puffins, Filey for Purple Sands (does it still get them?)), what spots would you guys recommend a birder from overseas visit? As most birds in the UK will be new anyway, where would be best to go for a reasonably high day total? (I'm thinking more inland foresty spots than coastal migranty spots.)

As I haven't been in Yorkshire now for a great many years, I have no idea what it might look like these days ('int it full of Bee-Eaters by now?).

Many thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Steve

I would have thought Bridlington Harbour would have been better and more reliable for Purple Sandpiper. A lot of migrants would not have arrived by early April, so I guess the coast would be the best bet. Up to Scarboro for Forge Valley (Nuthatch, Marsh Tit, Jay etc), and then to Wykeham Forest for raptors.

I would have thought Bridlington Harbour would have been better and more reliable for Purple Sandpiper. A lot of migrants would not have arrived by early April, so I guess the coast would be the best bet. Up to Scarboro for Forge Valley (Nuthatch, Marsh Tit, Jay etc), and then to Wykeham Forest for raptors.

Thanks for those suggestions, I shall pass them on. I'd forgotten about Brid Harbour for Purple Sands TBH, and there's presumably half a chance of some lingering white-winged gull there in April as well (and chips!).

I've never been to Forge Valley, but was thinking of the North York Moors somewhere for a change in species diversity. It's easy to find on the map, but is it well-signed? And is there a car park or something there where you start from? Or do you have to know which particular spots to go to to connect with e.g. Marsh Tit? Again, many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thanks for those suggestions, I shall pass them on. I'd forgotten about Brid Harbour for Purple Sands TBH, and there's presumably half a chance of some lingering white-winged gull there in April as well (and chips!).

I've never been to Forge Valley, but was thinking of the North York Moors somewhere for a change in species diversity. It's easy to find on the map, but is it well-signed? And is there a car park or something there where you start from? Or do you have to know which particular spots to go to to connect with e.g. Marsh Tit? Again, many thanks for your help.

There's a birdwatcher's car park, which is marked as such, you just have to sit in it for a few minutes for the birds to come down.

Mediterranean gull is reliable from Holbeck car park approaching Scarborough from the south, either in the car park, on the roofs or failing that, down in the bay below.

Hi SteveMM

I assume you are the Steve I used to take twitching when you were nobbut a lad and, talking of white-wingers, even took you for your first Iceland Gull to't local sewage works in inland west yorks?

Anyway - Phil (my brother as you know from Israel etc) lives at Flamborough. So I shall ask his advice about an itinary. For a foreign birder I'd have thought Forge Valley very good for deciduous woodland species, Marsh Tit easy. Wykham for coniferous: the raptor watchpoint is signposted and surrounds can be explored. Some of the areas around Buckton/Flamborough have a bit of 'set aside' for arable. Flamborough now has hides and new mini-wetlands. Will post back or you can PM me.

does he/she have some target birds?

cheers

Mick

now resident in Holmfirth!

Hi SteveMM

I assume you are the Steve I used to take twitching when you were nobbut a lad and, talking of white-wingers, even took you for your first Iceland Gull to't local sewage works in inland west yorks?

Anyway - Phil (my brother as you know from Israel etc) lives at Flamborough. So I shall ask his advice about an itinary. For a foreign birder I'd have thought Forge Valley very good for deciduous woodland species, Marsh Tit easy. Wykham for coniferous: the raptor watchpoint is signposted and surrounds can be explored. Some of the areas around Buckton/Flamborough have a bit of 'set aside' for arable. Flamborough now has hides and new mini-wetlands. Will post back or you can PM me.

cheers

Mick

Hi Mick. Just spotted your name on this post and just had to check in.

We met a couple of times in Spain last September and I don't know if you saw this linked thread after you came back, but there's an update that you might find of interest. See message 451 on this link;

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=265960&page=19

Apologies for hi-jacking your Yorkshire thread with a foreign post.

Alan.

Attachments

• Ruppell's-(22)-web.jpg
    Ruppell's-(22)-web.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi SteveMM

cheers

Mick

As I live and breathe!

You assume correctly, Mick, and, yes, I remember that Iceland Gull at Esholt very well (even though that would have been 1990!). I even remember that, if it wasn't at Esholt, it would be at 'Knotford Nook', which meant a quick bus ride over 'Hollin's Hill' into Otley (at which time that bird would probably be on its way to Esholt!). All these wonderful place names sound quite mysterious to me now, and their actual existence highly dubious! Anyway, ...

I did see something about there being wetlands at Flamborough somewhere (probably the Stop Press photos on Surfbirds), but cannot recall the context. They're certainly a new addition since I was last there, and I wouldn't know where they are. If they hold things like Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting, I think they would be of very high interest. The various finches found in the UK I also think would be good to see. (Is it too late for Snow Buntings, early April? I wouldn't consider Barmston to be an especially long way 'out of the way'.)

There were no specific targets outside of Puffins mentioned really, and then more generally where else might be good for birding after that. So, I'm just asking after spots that might have a reasonable level of diversity, rather than for anything specific (though Med Gulls, obviously, if they're still around). I think set aside and arable might be very productive habitats to take a look in, too.

Thanks for the many suggestions that have been offered so far (inc. Michael, Trystan) and please thank Phil for any input he might have.

As I live and breathe!

You assume correctly, Mick, and, yes, I remember that Iceland Gull at Esholt very well (even though that would have been 1990!). I even remember that, if it wasn't at Esholt, it would be at 'Knotford Nook', which meant a quick bus ride over 'Hollin's Hill' into Otley (at which time that bird would probably be on its way to Esholt!). All these wonderful place names sound quite mysterious to me now, and their actual existence highly dubious! Anyway, ...

I did see something about there being wetlands at Flamborough somewhere (probably the Stop Press photos on Surfbirds), but cannot recall the context. They're certainly a new addition since I was last there, and I wouldn't know where they are. If they hold things like Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting, I think they would be of very high interest. The various finches found in the UK I also think would be good to see. (Is it too late for Snow Buntings, early April? I wouldn't consider Barmston to be an especially long way 'out of the way'.)

There were no specific targets outside of Puffins mentioned really, and then more generally where else might be good for birding after that. So, I'm just asking after spots that might have a reasonable level of diversity, rather than for anything specific (though Med Gulls, obviously, if they're still around). I think set aside and arable might be very productive habitats to take a look in, too.

Thanks for the many suggestions that have been offered so far (inc. Michael, Trystan) and please thank Phil for any input he might have.

think it was pre-90 Steve. not the reg adult Iceland but a 1sw? Could be wrong. I remember you in a car on twitches eg ?Walney for Greater Sandplover?? etc. I also remember collecting you from Uni on way to airport for a trip to Israel. You left your finals early! Doesn't seem to have done any harm given your rather esoteric academic forays into language/liguistics these days - tho I'd not have predicted it when you were extolling the virtues of Compton's finest NWA to my old ears as we scoured the Arava Valey.

Anyway PM me and I'll send you phil's email. If he's around he'll be happy to show around Flamboro (the wetland is modest but might have interesting Brit birds) or can link your friend up with locals who can assist on the day etc - Flamboro is a lot more open birding scene now. Phil gets yellowhammers in his garden - not to mention rare sibes but then I guess you're up to eyeballs in them. There are corn bunts. Wikeham has Euro Turtle Dove - v rare in Yorks now. The sea birds are already back.

Regards

Mick

Last edited:
Hi Mick. Just spotted your name on this post and just had to check in.

We met a couple of times in Spain last September and I don't know if you saw this linked thread after you came back, but there's an update that you might find of interest. See message 451 on this link;

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=265960&page=19

Apologies for hi-jacking your Yorkshire thread with a foreign post.

Alan.

Ha - yes I remember. I went back in November and still didn't see said vulture! I might have to go again!

think it was pre-90 Steve. not the reg adult Iceland but a 1sw? Could be wrong. I remember you in a car on twitches eg ?Walney for Greater Sandplover?? etc. I also remember collecting you from Uni on way to airport for a trip to Israel. You left your finals early! Doesn't seem to have done any harm given your rather esoteric academic forays into language/liguistics these days - tho I'd not have predicted it when you were extolling the virtues of Compton's finest NWA to my old ears as we scoured the Arava Valey.

Anyway PM me and I'll send you phil's email. If he's around he'll be happy to show around Flamboro (the wetland is modest but might have interesting Brit birds) or can link your friend up with locals who can assist on the day etc - Flamboro is a lot more open birding scene now. Phil gets yellowhammers in his garden - not to mention rare sibes but then I guess you're up to eyeballs in them. There are corn bunts. Wikeham has Euro Turtle Dove - v rare in Yorks now. The sea birds are already back.

Regards

Mick

Dear All,

I'm the guy who will go to birding by myself. Thanks so much for Steve's help and also thanks for all your kindness reply.

I'll stay at York on 01 April and rent a car drive from York to coast line on 02 April morning.
The birding schedule is from 02 April to 05 April all day and back to York on 06 April.
My main target is Puffins and seabirds, but since this is my first time to UK (also Europe). I'd like to see as many birds as possible, I'll guess that will be all new species to me.
But I'll say I prefer small birds like buntings or sparrows, also I want to see a Merlin.
So I'll try to figure out the birding site and have a nice trip.

Dear Mick,

I'm appreciated for your kindness help. Do you mind that I'll PM you for the further information?

Many thanks.

Polly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back