• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Puzzling Pigeon ( or Dove) (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Hello everyone - I've got a pigeon puzzle for you:

I first saw this bird in my garden in early March when I only had a brief view before it flew off. I initially thought it was a feral pigeon since I live on the SE London/NW Kent border and feral pigeons/tired racing pigeons have visted now and again along with the regular Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves.

I saw the bird several times in the ensuing weeks, feeding on the sunflower seeds we put out for the birds each morning, but it was extremely wary, so much so that it flew almost as soon as I clapped eyes upon it through the kitchen window. However, this morning at 7:30am it remained long enough for me to video it for a minute before it again flew off. By now, I had a nagging notion that it could in fact be a Stock Dove - a new bird for my garden. But, a Stock Dove in an urban garden? I've found no references in my available literature that refers to Stock Doves visiting gardens.

I know that out-of-the-typical-range birds such as this can be problemmatic to identify. I recall the debate over a Stock Dove/Feral Pigeon on Fair Isle a few Septembers ago which finally settled for Stock Dove, but it wasn't straightforward.

Am I right? Is it a Stock Dove? If so, has anyone else had a Stock Dove in their garden? My garden is 50ft long x 30ft and half is grass and half is rockery, hemmed in on three sides by neighbours fences, so it is hardly a farm field is it?

Thanks very much for your help,
Lancey

Attachments

• 16-apr-04 001.jpg
    16-apr-04 001.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 360
It looks like A Stock Dove.. I guess its feasible Feral P could mimic the plumage patterns of a Stock Dove, but this has the structure too.

To me this is a stock dove from build and pattern. and it doesn´t seem that unusual to me that a stock dove visits a garden; they do so also in some villages around the area of Bonn, Germany-nevertheless they are much more wary than the wood pigeons and less frequent in gardens- and my impression is that they only come to more open gardens (with less trees and bushes) than wood pigeons.

Yes, Lancey, I've had Stock Dove in my garden, occasionally.

Metallic green sheen on the neck patch and shocking pink legs are good features - you don't always get to see these -'in the wild.'

Looks good for Stock Dove to me also.They breed in some areas on the outskirts of Cork city,but I've not seen them in gardens in these areas.That doesn't mean it wouldn't happen,though....
Harry

The dark eye would lead me to Stock Dove.
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon has an orange iris (clearly visible)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back