• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

whitebeam said:
Hi Trying to find information on places to go to observe Kingfishers
Either of the two hides on Lavells lake, Dinton Pastures, Nr Wokingham, Berks.
Grid Reference: SU783729 Its the lake North of the Sandford Lane. Theres frre parking opposite the Golf Course entrance.

Last edited:
Depends how far you wish to travel. I'm sure some local birders will advise with more detail than I. However, the road from Romsey to Stockbridge via Kings Sombourne, has the superb River Test flowing parallel to it and have always had success with kingfishers along a stretch from The John of Gaunt pub (south Kings Sombourne) Listen for the high pitched single, double or rarely triple squeak. Keep your eyes and ears open and always check overhanging branches etc with binoculars from a distance so not to disturb the bird. Remember; kingfishers normally fly low and fast down the centre of the river, but can also be seen cutting corners and heading over marshy areas.
Trust this is of some help. However, if you're ever in Hertfordshire then I can guarantee success on certain patches along the River Stort on the Herts/Essex border.
Jono

whitebeam said:
Hi Trying to find information on places to go to observe Kingfishers
Hi Whitebeam, and welcome to Bird Forum.

I agree with Alan -Lavell`s lake is superb for Kingfishers, I was there twice last week
and had good views both times, the last time a female perched in front of Tern hide
flew to the back of the scrape & caught/ate two fish, it then had a dispute with
another Kingfisher, it was superb to watch them chase around even hitting the
water at times.
If you live nearer the south of the county Tichfield Haven NNR can also be good, but the birds are normally more distant than at Lavell`s.

Good luck, I hope you get some great views

Sorry to butt in are the Kingfishers at Dinton pastures within photographic range?

Thanx

Steve.

stevo said:
Sorry to butt in are the Kingfishers at Dinton pastures within photographic range?

Thanx

Steve.
Hi Steve

the answer is yes, I would guess the perches they use are approx 30 feet from the hides, there are a few digiscoped shots from both hides in my gallery, a decent telephoto lens should get even better results. A Bittern & up to 3 Water Rails have also been seen there very recently- But not while i`ve been there !! yet!!!!!

Ooops Alan beat me to it, he knows Lavell`s better, so maybe the perches aren`t as close as I thought

Last edited:
stevo said:

Thanx

Steve.

LOL - How many of us have got 100's of shots like this. This afternoons effort, I saw it flash across the lake into the tree on the island. Taken with 300mm about 50 yards away. One day I'll be ready when it's close up.

Attachments

• x_5679.jpg
    x_5679.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 283
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back